It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pregnancy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-28-2005, 09:06 AM   #1

theb1971 HB User
indoor/outdoor cats

Does anyone else have cats that go both indoors and outdoors. If so, what are you doing to protect yourself from toxoplasmosis? ANY responses would be appreciated. Between the handling raw meat scare and now thinking about this I have actually gotten myself physically ill worrying about this. I woke up int he middle of the night last night and was worrying about it so I must have been even dreaming about it. I cant take this!!! I have an appt to see my dr tues and I am going to ask him about getting tested but in the meantime. Once again I would really appreciate any feedback here. I have got to get myself settled down.

Old 10-28-2005, 09:20 AM   #2
(female)

rounsy222 HB User
Re: indoor/outdoor cats

Quote:
Originally Posted by theb1971
Does anyone else have cats that go both indoors and outdoors. If so, what are you doing to protect yourself from toxoplasmosis? ANY responses would be appreciated. Between the handling raw meat scare and now thinking about this I have actually gotten myself physically ill worrying about this. I woke up int he middle of the night last night and was worrying about it so I must have been even dreaming about it. I cant take this!!! I have an appt to see my dr tues and I am going to ask him about getting tested but in the meantime. Once again I would really appreciate any feedback here. I have got to get myself settled down.
Well I was concerned about this considering I have two cats that go in and out all the time. I was told by so many people, get rid of the cats your going to get sick. Well I really dont want to do that so I asked and he said there is no need as long as I dont change the litter box at all. Also Toxo is pretty rare especially in our area and he said that he had never seen a case in 30 years that he had been in practice and figured that he would never see one. We live in Mn so the cold climate in the winters keeps it from happening alot or at all he said. He said its more risky to get it from meat but it has to be undercooked to get it, so just make sure its cooked enough. I bought a meat thermator. I was very parinoid for awhile but I got tested and it came back negative. So basically let you children or hubby change that litter box and you will be ok.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-28-2005, 09:28 AM   #3

theb1971 HB User

oh thank you rounsy. I needed to hear that someone elese cats go in and out as well. That makes me feel better. My hubby cleans the litter box (and since they go in and out they dont even use it that much) but then I started reading and read that if your cats go outdoors you shouldnt let them get on your furniture or anything...so I started to get real panicky since one of mine loves to sleep with me. Unfortunately I live in Florida where it doesnt get to cold so I know I have that strike against me but just hearing your response has helped. As soon as I found out I was preggo hubby got litterbox duty but its the other things I have read that are scaring the bejeebers out of me.

Old 10-28-2005, 09:40 AM   #4
(female)

rounsy222 HB User

Quote:
oh thank you rounsy. I needed to hear that someone elese cats go in and out as well. That makes me feel better. My hubby cleans the litter box (and since they go in and out they dont even use it that much) but then I started reading and read that if your cats go outdoors you shouldnt let them get on your furniture or anything...so I started to get real panicky since one of mine loves to sleep with me. Unfortunately I live in Florida where it doesnt get to cold so I know I have that strike against me but just hearing your response has helped. As soon as I found out I was preggo hubby got litterbox duty but its the other things I have read that are scaring the bejeebers out of me.
The only other thing I can think of to make you feel better would be to bring them to the vet and get them checked, and not let them go out anymore or atleast until you have the baby. Also if you have already been infected pre pregnancy you will have the antibodies against it and then really have nothing to worry about. Just an idea! I know that would be hard to do considering they probably love going out but if you live in florida it is probably a little more risky. Oh and my doctor said nothing about letting them go on the furniture, I dont see why that would matter. The only way to transfer it would be through feces. I know they step in there litter box and it would be transfer but I just think that It would take alot to get it that way. Im more concerned with keeping the cats out of the babies room when I have him/her.

Old 10-28-2005, 09:58 AM   #5

theb1971 HB User

I thought the same thing about the furniture thing. I mean if you think about the chain of events that would need to occur to get infected that way would seem highly unlikely. I am really hoping that when I get tested that I find out I am immune and then I can stop stressing over it all. If I have to I will keep them indoors but I know that is going to be very difficult if not impossible. They love going outside. I get to thinking and worrying about this and then tell my hubby and he tells me I am worrying to much. Its like no one really understands. He says I worry to much and other people I talk to say get rid of your cats which I cant do. I even thought about having them boarded until the baby gets here but I know they would be absolutely miserable.

Old 10-28-2005, 10:02 AM   #6
(female)

muffintop HB User

I was told that if you have had your cats for some time, more than likely if they did have tox you have already been exposed sometime in the past and have already built up your immunity (which is also passed on to the baby). Needless to say although I have had my two cats for 6 years I just have DH clean the box now, when I gardened outside this past summer I wore gloves and used antibacterial soap as soon as I came in. I didn't stop my cats from coming up on my furniture or snuggling with me. I just made extra care to wash my hands more often. As long as we use common sense taking care of our animals and ourselves there is no reason to get rid of them just because we are pregnant.

Old 10-28-2005, 10:10 AM   #7

theb1971 HB User

Thanks muffin. Are your cats indoor cats only?

Old 10-28-2005, 10:46 AM   #8
Senior Veteran

skeetersquirt HB User

I have two kitties that travel in and out all day long. Toxoplasmosis comes from the fecal matter of cats, so stay away from the litter box and only pet the head....stay away from the back half of the kitty!

Old 10-28-2005, 10:55 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

OrangeCouture HB User

If the infection occurs in the first three months of pregnancy there is an increased risk of miscarriage, severe disease in the newborn child or even stillbirth, but if it occurs in the last three months, signs of disease in the newborn child are rare. Some of the affected children will eventually suffer eye damage but the proportion is uncertain.

I have a cat, and I still clean out her litter box, I do it everyday. I wear rubber gloves when I actually change out her litter and disinfect the pan. Obviously it can be very harmful and I do not know if I have ever been exposed to it, but I grew up on a hog farm and we always had a couple of dogs and many, mnay cats that would run around the barn, and I would like to think that at some point I was exposed and immune. I guess I don't worry about it too much, I just try to be careful when I clean the cat out and that is why I do it everyday, not only for her sake, but because after her droppings dry and sit for a couple of days, that is when it is more likely for you to get the toxoplasmosis.

Old 10-28-2005, 11:06 AM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

OrangeCouture HB User

I agree MuffinTop,
There is no reason to get rid of your cat just because your pregnant, the animals become attached and have feelings too. I have to vent because my mom made me mad the others day. I got got my cat in January when I was back home in Iowa and brought the cat back to San Diego with me. She asked me if I was going to get rid of her because it will want to suffocate the baby. I said "No!" My husband and I already thought of the cat issue and we will always keep the door shut to the room the baby is sleeping in and make cure the cat, Haylee is not in there. Besides she always follows me everywhere I go. My mom said when she had my younger sisters that she gave away our cat because kids kept opening up the door. That made me mad because I was at least 10 years old when my sisters were born and I didn't open their door, and as a matter of fact she didn't bother to shut the door, most of the time they slept in a pack n go crib in the living room. My husband was mad because she had to comment like that, he was thinking, does she not think we are responsible and realize that we have a cat? Anyways, I wanted to vent about that, she is so opinionated and snippy about stuff sometimes, I get mad.

Old 10-28-2005, 11:12 AM   #11

theb1971 HB User

I cant say thank you enough for all of you replying to my post. It makes me feel better to see others have the traveling in and out kitties and everything is ok. My kitties go in and out their kitty door all day long and they love that life. We live kinda out in the country and they have a grand ole time. I have 3 of them, 2 of them go out alot but my fat kitty sticks around the home front more. He is the one who likes to sleep with me. He is kinda a big chicken anyways. As for petting I definitely only stick around the head area. Maybe this sounds neurotic but I starting thinking they clean each othhr all the time...so what if, they licked a bu**, then licked the others head and here I come along petting. Weird I know but this is how this crazy brain of mine works.

Orange I like you have always been around pets. I love animals to much not to have them in my life. Right now we have 3 dogs and 3 cats, and like I said the cats go in and out. Hubby cleans the cat box but now I feel better knowing I can love on my kitties without worrying. Thank you girls for helping me get some more rational thinking going.

Old 10-28-2005, 11:29 AM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

OrangeCouture HB User

They do lick their rears and then lick each other, haven't you seen cats do that?! I only have one cat and she licks her rear and tried to lick me sometimes, lol. Watch out for that!

Old 10-28-2005, 11:30 AM   #13
(female)

angelbaby4912 HB User

I have two cats that live indoors. I could not think about getting rid of them. I do not clean the litter box anymore, and I keep them bathed and clean so I really don't think that I have much to worry about. (Yes, I bath my cats. Once every few weeks.) I have not been tested to see if I have had toxo or not, but like orange, I grew up an a cattle farm with lots of pets my whole life so there is a good chance that I have had it.
I don't really think that it is that big of a concern if you keep things clean and are careful. I will also be watching my baby closely when the cats are near, It is going to be a challange, but the kitties will have to learn tht the baby's things are off limits. Including the nursery.

Old 10-28-2005, 11:42 AM   #14
(female)

muffintop HB User

Quote:
Thanks muffin. Are your cats indoor cats only?
They are indoor now since we purchased our house (past 2 years) but in our previous apartment we did let them out when they wanted to. The reason I mentioned the garden is my neighbor's cat does his business in our front flower bed and he is indoor/outdoor.

Old 10-28-2005, 11:44 AM   #15

theb1971 HB User

Yep orange my cats do it all the time. They love bathing each other. So I guess Im not neurotic in worrying about that just realistic. Its amazing how the things we dont give a second thought to before we are pregnant then we are pregnant and everything seems like it becomes a concern. exhausting I tell ya!

Closed Thread