It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pregnancy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-28-2005, 03:32 PM   #1
Veteran

sickofit HB User
Unhappy Placenta Previa

I saw the midwife today because I had some light bleeding. She did an ultrasound and discovered that the placenta is covering the opening to the cervix, which is called placenta previa. She said in most cases it will correct itself, but if it doesn't that I will have to have a c-section. Also I have to rest until the bleeding stops and no sex for 2 to 3 weeks. Anyone else have this or heard of this? I'm a little freaked out from the research I did online today - especially since I'm only 13 wks (almost 14 wks) I go back in a week to have them do another ultrasound, but I'm really anxious.

Old 10-28-2005, 03:56 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Mom22greatkids HB User
Re: Placenta Previa

Hi. I don't have previa, but do have what they call "marginal" previa. It is 2 cm from the cervix. I was told at 19 weeks. I'm now 24.5 weeks and had another ultrasound today and it's the same. I need to go back in another 6 weeks to check again. They are still optimistic that it will move as the uterus gets bigger.

Don't give up yet! You still have a lot of time for it to change. If I were you I would not have sex until you're in the clear with another ultrasound. And take it as easy as possible.

It sounds like you are in good hands and they are on top of things. Good luck. Hope everything turns out ok!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-28-2005, 04:09 PM   #3
(female)

JustGinger HB User

My OB discovered my placenta previa at my 20 week appointment. (I'm 23 weeks now) She said that they would keep an eye on it, but said that most of the time, it corrects itself. I haven't had any bleeding, but she suggested that I not overdo it or have sex until we see what is going to happen. I'll have another u/s next week to check the progress. Try not to get to freaked out about it. From what I understand, it is fairly common early on, and in many cases, it corrects itself before they even discover it. Good luck to you and keep us all posted.

Ginger

Old 10-28-2005, 04:44 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

soon2bmommy HB User

Hi. I have partial placenta previa. The placenta covers half of my cervix. I found out at my first u/s at 15 weeks along with placenta bleeding. I was told no sex and to try not to over do myself. I had another ultrasound today and the placenta has moved farther over my cervix. Don't worry too much. Placenta previa is more common than you would think. And my dr told me that more times than not, it will correct itself. My problem is that the baby is already too low and pushing down on the placenta, so in my situation, she doesn't think it's going to correct itself much. Best of luck to you!! And just so you know, there are many moms on this board that are dealing with this also
Amy

Old 10-28-2005, 07:40 PM   #5
Veteran

sickofit HB User

Thanks for all the replies! I do feel better - thanks!

Old 11-03-2005, 03:24 PM   #6
(female)

angie22 HB User

Mom22greatkids, I am 21 weeks and 3 weeks ago @ my u/s, the doc. told me I have the marginal previa too, just as you said 2 cm from the cervix. I'm not too worried tough, I know I am in God's hands and I prayed about it, also I had no bleeding or any other problem. They told me the same thing: in 90% of the cases these condition will correct itself and that is what I really hope. Keep me updated. God bless.

Last edited by angie22; 11-03-2005 at 03:25 PM.

Old 11-04-2005, 04:34 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Mom22greatkids HB User

Angie, when will you be checked again? I'm going to be checked at 30 weeks. Hopefully it will correct itself!

Old 11-04-2005, 08:03 AM   #8
(female)

angie22 HB User

Mom22greatkids - I will be checked again at 28 weeks wich will be before Christmas or right after. Can't wait to go and see what they say. I will keep you updated, but honestly until now I feel really good: one morning sickness in 21 weeks, no discharge, no blood, no pains down there, no stretch marks, normal weight gain(6lb in 10 weeks) baby moving - good kind of boring - no problems at all ,just that the placenta is exactly 2cm from cervix. But we don't have to stress about that now, not good for baby. We'll wait and see. I hope that it will fix until next checup for both of us . Be optimistic

Old 11-07-2005, 07:36 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

blue_eyed_girl HB User

I had a low lying placenta at 27 weeks. It had fixed itself by 35 weeks. Since you are so early, it will probably go away soon. Only 5% of women diagnosted with placenta previa have it when they deliver.

Old 11-07-2005, 07:49 AM   #10
(female)

angie22 HB User

Thanks for encuragement - blue_eyed_girl - hoping only for the best. Glad yours fixed by itself .

Old 11-09-2005, 03:20 AM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

dh22 HB User

mr dr. saw the previa at 15weeks and kept and eye on it. i began bleeding and preterm labor at 34 weeks - ended up wtih total placenta previa and had a c-section at 36 weeks.. but i am ok with that cause he's perfectly healthy!

Old 11-09-2005, 10:32 AM   #12
(female)

angie22 HB User

mornin' girls, I went to my monthly checkup and of course we discussed about my marginal placenta praevia. The dr. said I have only a 3% chance to have a c-section and that she thinks that by the next u/s @28 weeks it will probably correct itself, if not, they will keep doing the u/s at 33 weeks then at 36 weeks and if it won't correct by itself untill then we will schedule a c-section. But the dr. said that because I have no bleeding and no pains and everything else looks normal she thinks it will be fine yay I am really hoping for a natural birth but if that will not be safe for the baby then c-section will be. I guess one way or the other she has to come out, right?
oh well, how is everyone else doing?

Closed Thread