It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pregnancy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-29-2005, 06:03 AM   #1
(female)

worriedinNC HB User
horrible pain top right side

hey girls...i have a cold ive had it for about 3 days and every time i blow my nose or cough or even just standing and sitting a certain way makes it hurt BAD...its on the top right side of my stomach like under my right rib kinda...is this something i should worry about or is it just another one of the aches that come along with pregnancy? my next apointment isnt until tuesday and my doc. isnt in until monday so should i just wait to tell her about it or should i be worried about this? thanks

Old 10-29-2005, 07:19 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

zekat HB User
Re: horrible pain top right side

I have had a pain at the top of my stomach on the ride-hand side on two or three occasions. I'm 30 weeks along and the last time I had it was probably 3 weeks ago. For me it normally lasts a few hours & it seems to happen when I'm at work, so I think it maybe has something to do with how I'm sitting. I've chaulked it up to the moving & shifting of pregnancy

If the pain is constant and starts becoming intolerable, I would get in to see your doctor asap as that can be a sign of a rare complication called HELLP syndrome (upper right quadrant pain & high blood pressure & proteine in your urine are all signs of HELLP. The pain is caused by an enflamed liver). However, if the pain comes and goes, I probably wouldn't worry too much about it but I would mention it to the doc when you see him. All the stuff I've seen on HELLP says that the pain is constant and does not let up.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-29-2005, 08:42 AM   #3
Inactive
(female)

Fullfire HB User

I had that kind of pain and for me it turned out to be my ligaments. I find even if I walk sometimes it can get very painful. All the stretching and growing can really do a number on a body.

Old 10-29-2005, 08:58 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

sweetea13 HB User

You are describing the pain that I have been having. It is only on my right side and right under my rib. Well I went to the DR and ended up getting an ultrasound on my gallbladder. I ended up having no gall stones ( which are common in pregnancy) My DR said it is most likely muskoskeltetal. SHe did say I could have some "sludge" in my gall bladder that brings about the same symptoms of gall stones. It is not serious but causes pain.She said if it was my gallbladder it would be painful especially after greasy, fried food. My rib hurts all the time so we think it is muskoskeletal pain caused by everything being pushed up from my expanding uterus. Painful but not serious at least.Good luck and try not too worry. My Doc said even if it was my gallbladder it is not harming the baby in any way.

Old 10-29-2005, 09:09 AM   #5
Senior Veteran

laurabelle1317 HB User

I had a pain in/around my rib for weeks when and after I was really sick with a cold (this was before I was pregnant). Turned out to be costchondritis, which means your rib is inflamed or something like that. I had to wait it out. It definitely hurt to cough or sneeze. Holding a pillow really tight to my stomach/chest while I coughed or sneezed helped though. That's whats suggested.

As you can see, the pain can be from several things. So if it cont inues, I'd get it checked out. It could be as simple as costochondritis or more serious, like HELLP. Unless it becomes really intolerable and worrisome, you are probably alright to talk to you Dr about it on Tuesday. Since it hurts the most when blowing your nose, coughing, or in certain positions, sounds a lot like costchondirits to me. Being sick with a bad cold, etc is what can cause it.

Take care of yourself! Feel better soon!

Closed Thread