It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pregnancy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-31-2005, 02:19 AM   #1
(female)

expectant HB User
Hair dye - is it safe?

Is it safe to dye your hair while pregnant? Also is it safe to take vitamin C tablets?

Old 10-31-2005, 04:36 AM   #2
Veteran
(female)

Hypnotic HB User
Re: Hair dye - is it safe?

they say your not supposed to dye your hair in the first trimester. are you doing it yourself or professionally? i find when i did it myself the fumes were way more strong then getting it done professionally. so thats what ive been doing, going to a salon.
also, vitamin c is very good for you no matter what. i would be careful not to take to much though because the vitamin is also in your prenatals.
take care
-hyp

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-31-2005, 06:29 AM   #3

katie33 HB User

My doctor told me avoid dye hair during pregnancy.

Last edited by katie33; 10-31-2005 at 06:30 AM.

Old 10-31-2005, 06:35 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Mommie-2-B HB User

Mine told me to avoid it too, so I have. My hair looks awful but it will be worth it in the end. I'll be ready for a new look at the first of the year! Only 8 weeks to go!

Last edited by Mommie-2-B; 10-31-2005 at 06:35 AM.

Old 10-31-2005, 07:14 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

OrangeCouture HB User

I have also heard/read/and ben told that it may be best to avoid it during the first trimester, however when you get your hair done they are applying the solutions to hair that is already dead. I believe the concern is with the chemicals soaking into your scalp. I still go in and get my hair dyed, actually when I was 6 weeks pregnant, I didn't know about the rule and I got my hair dyed twice in the same week because I had to go somewhere new out here in San Diego and the lady dyed it way too light the first time. I am now 17 weeks and I plan on going in this week to have to darkened. Like someone else said, as long as it is well ventilated. I agree with the at-home dyes, because I use to help my mother with it and at home it tends to be extremely strong.

As far as the vitamin C, are you currently taking pre-natal vitamins? I occacsionally take a chewable vitamin C. My midwife told me that for the most part the pre-natal has everything in it. You can take the B or C extra if you need or want sometimes.

Old 10-31-2005, 09:22 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

weepyone HB User

i heard it is ok to get highlights as the dye is not put onto your scalp. i did wait till i was in the second trimester to get my awful roots done

Old 10-31-2005, 09:41 AM   #7
Veteran
(female)

Hypnotic HB User

true, i didnt actually think about that. i get foils done, they dont touch the scalp.

Old 10-31-2005, 11:17 AM   #8
(female)

angelbaby4912 HB User

I am getting my hair highlighted next week. I really don't think that it can have an effect on the baby if it never comes in contact with my skin.

Old 11-01-2005, 09:36 PM   #9
(female)

expectant HB User

Orange culture - you know i only have folic acid tablets -which i took every day in first trimester but i dont really have them every day now - hmmmm maybe i should be taking actual prenatals?

Thanks ladies for your response re hair dye - my roots are awful and i had to get them done

Old 11-01-2005, 09:46 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

lex jude HB User

Just as an fyi, I dyed my hair three times when I was pregnant, and my DS came out fine I just made sure it was in a well venilated area, and I wasn't sitting there inhaling it. I mean his little lungs are far away from everything outside... remember one time I washed the floor with bleach, and DH flipped out. (fumes) I called the OB and they said I would be fine

I would advise going on a prenatal vitamin. They say your baby gets all he needs from your body and they will be fine. It's usually the mommy tho who suffers from a lack of this or that. So vitamins keep you in balance more then anything. The folic acid is great, but get on a prenatal to take care of yourself ok?

Last edited by lex jude; 11-01-2005 at 09:50 PM.

Old 11-02-2005, 05:39 AM   #11
(female)

Bohemian Belle HB User

I used a hair dye called Herbvita that I found after Googling something like " safe hair dye while pregnant" .I used it at home and it came out a little bit purple, but after a few days t calmed down and looked fine. I avoided the salon becasue the laquer fumes from the nail area combined wiy=th the hair dye fumes everywhere were just too much to worry about, and my visits usually take two hours from start to finish.

Old 11-02-2005, 08:02 AM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

OrangeCouture HB User

I just got my hair re-dyed yesterday, they used three colors in it, but it was all foils and I did not even notice the smell. It was a much better experience this time. When I had my hair dyed at 6 weeks they used foils and then put the dye right onto my scalp, at the time I didn't realize that maybe they shouldn't but everything will turn out fine. That was a different place and I am not going back to them!

Old 11-03-2005, 05:31 AM   #13
(female)

expectant HB User

Thanks ladies. I dyed my hair today AND got some prenatals for me!!!!!

Old 11-03-2005, 08:51 PM   #14
Senior Veteran
(female)

lex jude HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by expectant
Thanks ladies. I dyed my hair today AND got some prenatals for me!!!!!

woo! yay for you

I love colouring my hair. It's like my palette

And I am taking my prenatals even now...and I had DS eight weeks ago!

Old 11-04-2005, 05:49 AM   #15
Senior Veteran
(female)

Mommie-2-B HB User

Lex, I can't believe he's already 8 weeks old. Time is really flying!!!

Closed Thread