It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pregnancy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-31-2005, 07:12 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

FirstTimeMomma HB User
Diaper bag question for the experienced

What do you really need to pack in a diaper bag? I have heard stories of first time moms packing everything they can cram into the bag. What should you really have in there besides the obvious diapers and wipes and extra change of clothes?

Old 10-31-2005, 07:29 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

OrangeCouture HB User
Re: Diaper bag question for the experienced

Besides diapers and wipes, it could be wise to carry an ointment for diaper rashes, and Mylacon for gas. A favorite toy or book. Always an extra set of clothing, pacifier, bottles with milk or with powder so you just add the water, and probably a spit up cloth would be a good idea too. That is what I will carry in the bag. This is my first, but my mother had my two younger sisters when I was older in school, so I lugged them around and watched them often, so that is my experience.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-31-2005, 07:51 AM   #3
Senior Veteran

laurabelle1317 HB User

I have also heard of keeping your own wallet and keys in it. Some diapers have special spots just for mom's keys and wallet. That way you don't also have to lug around a purse in addition to the diaper bag.

Old 10-31-2005, 08:18 AM   #4
(female)

Goodinheart HB User

I have two and, I tend to pack alot in bags if I am going to be gone for a long time, if you are only running to the store diapers wipes and change of cloths, if you will be gone for a while toss in a blanket, and some infants tylenol. Good luck

Old 10-31-2005, 08:19 AM   #5
Veteran

sickofit HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by laurabelle1317
I have also heard of keeping your own wallet and keys in it. Some diapers have special spots just for mom's keys and wallet. That way you don't also have to lug around a purse in addition to the diaper bag.
That's what I did... it really does cut down on what you carry around with you.

Old 10-31-2005, 12:59 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

babygirl224 HB User

I also keep an extra bottle and formula to make on the go, extra bibs, clothes and burping clothes. Extra pacifiers,and pretty much what everyone else said. My first couple of outings i jam packed my diaper bag but then you just find out what you need. I always restock it at the end of the day too.

Old 10-31-2005, 02:23 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Gayle0000 HB User

Here's what's in mine for everyday errands. My baby is currently 7 weeks old, so no need for toys or other entertainment yet, no solid foods or snacks yet...and she's not sick, so no nose sucker or meds are packed or needed right now. This is what I've got for the newborn/starter diaper bag:

5-6 Diapers
Wipes
Pacifier
2 cloth diapers (for burping and miscellaneous messes)
Sample packets of diaper rash cream, disposable washcloths, and soap (you'll likely accumulate a ton of these samples from various sources over the course of the pregnancy)
Change of clothes (in case of a catastrophic diaper or excessive spit-up)

I breastfeed, so no bottles & bottle accessories.

When I go farther or a day trip, I also add:
1-2 extra receiving blankets
1 extra change of clothes
disposal bags for garbage/diapers
couple bibs (they're for spit-up since I breastfeed)
water or pop (for me!)

I have ended up reserving a pocket in the diaper bag for my stuff. It does get pretty ridiculous carrying a baby, a diaper bag, and a purse. I've was gung-ho I'd still carry my purse for the sake of fashion & being organized...it's just too much. I carry lip balm, wallet, keys, lip gloss, and phone in the diaper bag.

Right now, I have a medium-sized diaper bag. Using the one we got for free at the hospital. It's more than big enough...even for daytrips. We got a really nice bigger diaper bag at a baby shower, but we just don't need to carry THAT much around just yet. It's way too big for everyday use with a newborn. I can see this bigger bag being awesome when Ava gets to where she is playing with toys and we'll need more stuff to entertain her.

Short errands around town, we don't need much at all.
Gayle

Old 10-31-2005, 04:30 PM   #8
(male)

dad_2b HB User

I also read somewhere to stash an extra car key in the bottom just in case you lock yourself out of the car. My wife is even trading in her purse for a larger wallet so that she could cram it into a diaper bag so she\I only have one bag to carry.

Old 11-07-2005, 01:13 PM   #9

maramello HB User

the only thing i could probably add to everyone elses response is that i carry a thermometer in the bag all the time.

Closed Thread