It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pregnancy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-31-2005, 08:52 AM   #1
(female)

**Peaches** HB User
Book Recommendations?

Hello, any advice on helpful pregnancy reading material? I thought I had it all under control... I'm a healthy active person, taking vitamins, was pretty sure I knew what is bad... But I am now reading new things here every day! I wouldn't have thought twice about eating a hot dog! I don't even know why they are bad - food poisoning, or nitrates (or both!)? Should I not have eaten bacon the other day? Really not going to worry too much about what I have already done, and I am only 6 weeks along. I would love to have some reference material for the future though! My 1st Dr. appt. is this week, which I am sure will give me some guidelines, but I love reading, so any good books out there?

Thanks!

Old 10-31-2005, 09:08 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

OrangeCouture HB User
Re: Book Recommendations?

Hey Peaches,
There are so many wondeful books, I would suggest going to Barnes and Noble or Borders and looking at their selection, you should find something that will suit you there. There are also wonderful articles on-line that are available to read that will help you. That is great you are an active healthy person, pregnancy doesn't have to slow you down entirely or change your life in a negative way. As you read, you can continue to do most things you did pre-pregnancy. While theyre most certainly some things you must watch out for, don't let over-worriers or people with their horror stories scare you. Congeatulations to you! We all look forward to hearing from you throughout your pregnancy on the board!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-31-2005, 09:13 AM   #3
(female)

lrguyer HB User

I have loved the book "Your Pregnancy Week by Week". I can't remember the author but it is Wonderful! I have liked it much better than "What to EXpect when expecting..." just bc it explains what is changing with your baby and with your body every week. Also, you have found a great tool on this website! I have gotten a lot of my questions answered right here on this board! It's great to know that I am not the only one out there with some of these issues

The only other thing that I caution is believing everything you read. A lot of books, people, etc will tell you you can't do this and you can't do that, but most of it is just not true. Many of the things I have heard that I can't do have been wrong after I talked to my doctor. (Such as the hotdog thing, one or two hot dogs will NOT kill or harm your baby! It's all about moderation) So if you hear something that might really change your lifestyle or you're not sure about just ask you dr. They usually will tell you that it is fine in moderation! Good luck and congratulations!

Lisa

Old 10-31-2005, 10:30 AM   #4
(female)

KLynne13 HB User

Peaches~
Congratulations! What Lisa said is very true. Don't allow yourself to get to freaked out over everything you read. I'm 31 weeks, and am to the point now that I am SICK of all the reading and advice. If you start to feel that way I recommend trying the book "Knocked Up". Its an auto-biography, but it reads like fiction. Its a great book! It was so nice to read something that wasn't coming from a bunch of doctors, but rather a "normal girl" that anyone can relate too! I think the authors name is Rebecca Eckler. Check it out!
~Kelly

Old 10-31-2005, 10:53 AM   #5
(female)

lrguyer HB User

Oh yes, I forgot another WONDERFUL book that sounds a lot like the one from KLynne's post. "The Girlfriend's Guide to Pregnancy". It is advertised as the book about everything your doctor won't tell you about being pregnant. It is hilarious but full of useful information. I love it!

LIsa

Old 10-31-2005, 11:10 AM   #6
(female)

angelbaby4912 HB User

Belly Laughs is also a great book if you are wanting something about the lighter side of pregnancy. This book makes you feel like you are not alone no matter what goes on with your body during pregnancy. Jenny McCarthy tells it like it is. She is very bold and blunt, so if you offend easily, this may not be for you. I thought the book was very funny. I laughed so hard that I would have to stop reading it for a few hours.

Old 10-31-2005, 11:33 AM   #7
(female)

rounsy222 HB User

lrguyer,
Sorry this doesnt have anything to do with this post but what about a Hot Dog thing?
LOL Ive been craving grilled hot dogs lately and have been eating them. See this is what they do to you to make you feel like you have to live in a bubble, first no feta cheese or shell fish now this. ARGH!!!!!
Meg

Old 10-31-2005, 11:43 AM   #8
(female)

lrguyer HB User

Rounsy,

My doctor has said that all of the talk about the disease you can get from hot dogs and lunch meat is way overly hyped up. She said that it is very very rare and that you get it more often if you eat lunch meat that isn't prepared right or hot dogs that aren't cooked well enough. But these are both precautions that you should take anyway. Then if some freak chance that you do get it, it can be easily treated with meds. I would say go ahead and grill out! Just don't make your whole diet hot dogs!!

Lisa

Old 10-31-2005, 01:20 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

myloathe HB User

My doc gives all of her first-time moms the book "What to Expect when you're expecting". This book is awesome. It answers every possible question you could have about pregnancy ( symptoms, birthing alternatives, labor and delivery, and what you can expect week by week during your pregnancy)
It's like a pg bible. I would definitely recommend it.

Old 10-31-2005, 01:59 PM   #10
Veteran
(female)

qt314 HB User

I'm with the other girls. Things in moderation. I LOVE hot dogs! There are things I will simply avoid (ie blue cheese, alcohol, smoke, caffeine, sushi), but come on! Even tuna fish we have to be weary of!

I've got a book called Eating Expentantly that has helped. Healthy snacks and meals. Not hard at all.

And although I didn't care for What to Expect While Expecting, I do enjoy The Complete Pregnancy Bible. Both of which I got from my library! Didn't have to pay for anything. Try them out, see what you like.

Personally, I'm going to be looking for that Jenny McCarthy book Belly Laughs now that I see someone really enjoyed it!

Old 11-02-2005, 12:17 AM   #11
(female)

petalz HB User

Hi peaches,
I remember your name from the Canadian thread. A great book to get is Ann Douglas - The Mother Of All Pregnancy Books - An All Canadian Guide to Conception, Birth and Everything In Between. A good Reference book with Canadian information. There is also a Baby follow up book by Ann Douglas. The girlfriends guide to pregnacy by Vicki Iovine is hilarious. I'm reading the girlfriends guide to the first year of motherhood right now and it's great. She has a whole series. Dr. William Sears book the Birth Book isn't bad either. He also has a whole line of parenting books as well. You can also get weekly emails from websites that will tell you what your baby's development is at the stage of pregnancy you're at. Some sites you can even see ultra sound photos as well. Once you have your baby these websites will continue to email you the stages of your baby's devlopment. If you want to contact me I can send you some of the websites. I'm not sure if we can post about other websites on here. Once your baby is born you might enjoy Tracy Hogg the baby whisperer books. If you have some friends who have had kids ask to borrow their books instead of spending loads of cash. You'll reach a stage near the end of pregnancy where you frankly can't stand to look at another pregnancy book again. I came home from the hospital dumped my pile of books in a box and made my husband put it in our storage locker. Might of been the hormones perhaps.

Last edited by petalz; 11-02-2005 at 12:18 AM.

Old 12-03-2005, 07:00 AM   #12
(female)

melmo524 HB User

Belly Laughs and Baby Laughs by Jenny McCarthy are great books. Very funny! I also enjoyed reading When the Belly Button Pops by Lorilee Craker. Of course the What to Expect When You're Expecting books are good too. I haven't had any children yet, but my husband and I are in our 3 month preconception phase so right now I'm reading Before Your Pregnancy by Amy Ogle. It's a good one too. Hope this helps.

Old 12-03-2005, 08:56 AM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

debating HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrguyer
I have loved the book "Your Pregnancy Week by Week". I can't remember the author but it is Wonderful! I have liked it much better than "What to EXpect when expecting..." just bc it explains what is changing with your baby and with your body every week.
That's my pregnancy bible!! It's written by Dr. Glade B Curtis, OB/GYN and Judith Schuler, M.S.

"What To Expect When You're Expecting" is a let down in comparison to this book. I read my chapter every Tuesday. I think I pick the other one up every couple of weeks and really don't LEARN anything from it. Not like this book.

It was only 15 bucks at Baby's R Us, too!!

Last edited by debating; 12-03-2005 at 08:58 AM.

Old 12-03-2005, 11:38 AM   #14
Senior Veteran
(female)

weepyone HB User

i just wanted to say if you are in the uk professor lesley regan is the top obstetritian (sp) in london she has an excellent book on pregnancy and also one on miscarriage she is an expert in recurrent m/c and fertility problems. i find her books are real facts her knowledge base is the best she is definately a credable source.

Last edited by weepyone; 12-03-2005 at 11:38 AM.

Old 12-05-2005, 10:15 AM   #15

jriegel HB User

"Ina May's Guide To Childbirth"

"The Pregnancy Book" by Dr. Sears

"Natural Childbirth the Bradley Way"

Excellent resources regardless of what type of birth you are planning or anticipating

Closed Thread