I am 36 weeks pregnant with gestational diabetes. I went to the dr. today cuz my baby's movment has decreased ALOT!!! Everything turned out to be okay. I talked to my dr. last week and she said she wouldn't induce me until I am 39 weeks. but i wouldn't have a choice in my birthing option. It would have to be take c-cection. Well the other dr. saw me today and he said he would induce me at 38 weeks, but then he measured me and i am measuring at 43 weeks. I have a HUGE baby. If i were to go into natural labor today, he would still have to be taken c-cection. Anyone been through the same thing or have any advice? I feel like he should be taken out sooner!
I can tell you my sister in law went through this. She was ALSO gestational diabetic. She went in for her check up around week 39 and the doctor decided to wait another week. Knowing the baby was going to be big. The following week, she went in again, they took an ultrasound..........the poor baby was OFF the charts! They rushed her to the hospital and performed a c-section. The baby can easily go into distress being so huge. She came out 11 lbs 10.5 oz! Our little sumo wrestler!
What I know about gestational diabetic babies is that they get big fast, but their lungs are slower to develop. I would insist on them taking that amnio test (they stick in a needle and draw amniotic fluid. If it comes out clear, the lungs have developed).
I must assume that they are putting monitors on you when you go in to hear the heart rate of the baby and take an ultrasound. They should be hearing the decrease if there is one. How often are you going now?
Remember, you are still the one the doctors need to listen to. This baby is in your tummy telling you all sorts of things. Insist on being heard!
WOW 43 weeks!!!! Are they onna induce you earlier seeing the size? my first was measuirng 2 weeks more at all my appt and he was 9lbs 4 1/2 oz so I cant imagin how big your baby is alrady, I would ask for an amnio to check lung maturity and if they are ready have them deliver you, your getting a section anyway, that is a given its not safe to wait if your that big already!
I see MY dr. tomorrow. She's the one who doesn't want to induce me until i'm 39. But she hasn't measured my belly in a while either. so I want to ask her about his size, and maybe induce at 38. (if she waits until i am 39, i'll be in the hospital for thanksgiving!) I hope she will work with me. I have a hard time doing EVERYTHING!