It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pregnancy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-31-2005, 01:07 PM   #1
(male)

caveman1986 HB User
STD and Pregnant

hi any help on this would be really great...

I'm a 19 year old male and me and my girlfreind recently found out that she is pregnant (around 6 weeks) and today i also found out i have the sexually transmitted disease " chlamydia ". So now after telling her the news she automatically is thinking the baby will be born disabled or whatever and she is wantin to get an abortion, which i strongly disagree with and i know the law states that i have no say in it what-soever.

she is scared of gettin tested and treated and keeps saying that I have "*****ed everyhing up for her" because she was lookin forward to having a baby, Now can anyone give me any advice about this on if the baby will be healthy if she gets treated and what the likeliness is of the baby being disabled etc.

Any help with this would be greatly appreciated...i really dont know what to do

Old 10-31-2005, 01:23 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Mommie-2-B HB User
Re: STD and Pregnant

Yes, this is treatable. The best thing for her to do is to see a doctor immediately to get herself checked out.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-31-2005, 01:28 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Mommie-2-B HB User

Also, if she doesn't get help asap, she may need a c-section. But that is no reason to end a life and you can explain that to her. Do you know if she contracted it? Or are you assuming this because you have it?

Old 10-31-2005, 01:37 PM   #4
(male)

caveman1986 HB User

im just assuming she has, the health adviser on the phone said its highly likely she has got it too.

Old 10-31-2005, 02:13 PM   #5
Inactive
(female)

newmom2be HB User

hi im 18 and as i was about 14 weeks along they told me i had an std they gave me medcine which made me very sick but i got rid of it i had it about my hole pregnancy i didnt know it was an std until i finally went to the doc anywaz im ok and so is the baby im today 21 weeks and the baby my doc said if u have an std while your pregnant it may be that the baby has a low birth weight but nothing serious as long as u get treated for it

Old 10-31-2005, 02:25 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

girl75 HB User

when she goes in for her OB appt they will usually do a check for STDs. if she does have chlamydia(sp?) they will call medicine in for her and if they are nice for you too. the medicine usually comes in a powder form and you mix it with water and thats it, one dose and it is gone.
goodluck and i hope everything works out for the best.
robin

Old 10-31-2005, 04:18 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

zekat HB User

Your girlfriend really needs to talk to someone that is educated about these things. She needs to realize that it's just chlamydia - not the end of the world! Women give birth to perfectly healthy babies with all kinds of STD's, including herpes & HIV. She just needs to be tested & have it treated with antibiotics if she tests positive. It's just an infection (and it's actually the most common STD in the US). Truly - it's no big deal.
Good luck!!

Old 11-01-2005, 06:27 AM   #8
(female)

theartteacher HB User

my best friend just had a baby 3 weeks ago. In the begining of her pregnancy and before she was pregnant, she found out she had chlamydia that the babys father had given her. she needed to be treated twice for it, but it went away way before she delivered! As long as she gets treated for it, EVERYTHING will be okay. Worse case scenario would be c-section

Old 11-01-2005, 09:39 AM   #9
(female)

marie81 HB User

Are you sure that she really wants the baby? I'm not trying to be rude. I just know that if I found out I had something that I thought could harm my baby, instead of just automatically talking about killing it, I would be on the phone with a dr trying to get the problem fixed. I'm not sure if she's just embarrassed to be seen for an std, but if she really wants to be a mother, she should start putting the baby first, because that's what she will have to do once he/she is born.

I know this probably sounds harsh and I'm sorry for that, but if I were you I would have a talk with her. I think if you really want a baby, you would do anything no matter how embarrassing, uncomforatable, or painful to ensure it's health. At least I know I would and have.

Old 11-01-2005, 12:00 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

OrangeCouture HB User

Before she decides to get an abortion, tell her she needs to see a doctor! Your STD can be treated and I believe that it isn't permanent, but don't quote me, look up the information on it. When she delivers the baby it can come in contact with the STD in she delivers vaginally. They may deliver by C-section to avoid the harmful contact. If she does not have the STD, they will probably tell her to abstain from sex in order to protect herself and the baby at some point during the pregnancy. Don't worry, you didn't mess everything up for her, she decided to have sex and on top of that not take the necessary precautions possibly and it isn't all your fault, you both decided to have sex. It is important that if you keep this baby to keep yourselfs happy and healthy! Congrats and Good Luck, I hope everything works out for you two.

Old 11-01-2005, 12:05 PM   #11
(female)

KLynne13 HB User

Caveman...
Not to sound harsh, but if she is embarrassed about dealing with an STD, she will be in for a rude awakening once she starts her pre natal care. Nothing is private once you walk into that doctors office! And having the baby is much more invasive that getting a STD test! If she hasn't already, she needs to go to a doctor. When they do a pregnancy test, they will also test for STD's. It is standard procedure to do so, because it is common to be pregnant and have an STD. As a matter of fact most doctors will test you for STD's again throughout your pregnancy. Chlamydia is the number 1 STD in the nation. I believe like 3 out of 10 adults will test positive for chlamydia in their lifetime. I personally had it and was treated for it a few years ago. (In my case I had horrible symptoms, but most ppl infected with it have no symptoms and wont know they have it until they get tested!) Its not something to feel embarrassed about! She would just have to take antibotics for a few days to help with the infection. There is no reason what so ever for her to automatically assume it will harm the baby!

I would recommend she joins some sort of support group for pregnant women (even joining a message board such as this one)! Its nice to be able to ask other womens opinions and to get answers about things she may be embarrassed about!

Its nice to see a guy taking the time to post on this message board as well!! Its obvious you really care about her and the baby!
Good Luck!

~Kelly

Old 11-01-2005, 12:38 PM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

weepyone HB User

not being rude but if you were my partner and you gave me an std i too would be angry and maybe it is her anger speaking. i don't know if you have been together long but you need to take good care of your sexual health i mean how long have you had it have you been together long? if you are her long term partner were you unfaithful or have you had it ages? I too would feel ashamed to catch an std and require treatment but she does need to get treated and so do you. maybe her anger is a combination of shame of an std and feeling let down that the man she loves/care for infected her. maybe she wonders who you have been with and why you have not been practising safe sex with neither her and other partners maybe she is worried what else you have given to her. just some thoughts either way it has happened now i hope you both get treated and hope thingss turn out the best for you both.

Old 11-01-2005, 12:49 PM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

Mommie-2-B HB User

My sister contracted herpes from an unfaithful boyfriend. Years later she and her husband (not the same guy) had a daughter and she had to have a c-section because if you give birth during an outbreak, the baby WILL contract it. I would be ashamed too, especially seeing what humiliation my sister went through.

Closed Thread