It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pregnancy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-01-2005, 04:06 AM   #1
(female)

fuzzyb HB User
Pregnancy and malaria medication

Hi
My husband and I planned a trip to India for the end of the year. But now that I discovered that I am pregnant (will be 16 weeks at the time of the trip) doctors suggest we don't go. I'm looking for any moms that took anti malarials while they were pregnant to find out how safe the medication is. Thanks

Old 11-01-2005, 10:40 AM   #2
(female)

angelbaby4912 HB User
Re: Pregnancy and malaria medication

I have not been in this position. But, I have been told that I could not get the last injection in my Hepititis B vac. untill after I delivered. I am going with what the dr. advised. I was supposed to have these vacinations because of my job, but they did not think that it was worth the risk. Sorry to hear about the pregnancy messing up your plans. I would listen to the advice of your dr. and skip the trip.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-01-2005, 12:21 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

weepyone HB User

i don't mean to sound too ignorant but have you chrcked out health care for the area you are going to for example is it safe do they use sterile stuff??? the last thing i can imagine is being stuck in need of medical attention so far from home and not knowing if it is safe i ams ure all would be well regarding your health but what if you get food poisoning, and what is the sanitation like where you are going? just some thoughts i am sure you will make the best decision for you but i ewould be too worried to go

Old 11-01-2005, 02:18 PM   #4
Veteran
(female)

Sherbet HB User

Hiya...

Aside from the possible/probable negative effects of anti-malarials I'm thinking the nasties you and baby can catch in India are just as worrying. The sanitation in India is rather noxious, for example a public toilet is otherwise known as the footpath. The sewerage system is non-existant and toilet paper (should it be available) is not allowed to be flushed (a basket is provided). Needless to say, bacteria and viri is rife!!! The food you will be able to eat will be limited, the meat will be out of bounds and salads may be washed in local water which will be a problem. It will be bottled water and fruits with intact skin eg bananas, oranges, mangos. If you are like me and wanted to go to india to sample the fantastic cuisine, you may be limiting yourself...

I would skip the trip or go at your baby's own peril...

Old 11-01-2005, 06:28 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

roxyfoxy HB User

I definitely think this trip should be cancelled. If you care at all about your health, and that of your unborn child's you will skip the trip. I don't want to sound harsh, but it does seem a bit risky. India is a highly overpopulated country harboring many diseases that you could come in contact with. I'd say be safe and stay home, or travel somewhere safer.

Old 11-01-2005, 11:22 PM   #6
(female)

fuzzyb HB User

Hi Everybody
Thanks for all the replies it looks like I will have to cancel this trip since the response I've been getting from everybody has been pretty negative. I'm just a little disapointed since I had planned this holiday with my sisters ( and there husbands) and now they'll be going without me. But now that I have a baby to consider I should realise that the baby is going always have to come first. Thanks again

Closed Thread