It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pregnancy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-01-2005, 03:47 PM   #1
(female)

thidagirl22 HB User
Question Is it safe to be induced at 38 weeks or is it too early?

I'm 37 weeks now and go for a check up tomorrow. My dr is going to be going on vacation around my due date. I really do not like the dr that is on call for him while he is away. I just don't trust him. I was thinking that if I have dilated and was showing progress tomorrow I would ask the dr if he would induce me at the end of next week. I just want to be sure that the baby would be healthy enough. At the end of next week I will be 38 weeks and 3 or 4 days. I was induced with my daughter the last time but I can't remember how far along I was. I know my dr will be able to tell me if it is safe or not but I thought maybe one of you ladies had been induced at 38 weeks. I don't know if it's a good idea or not but I really want my dr to be the one to deliver. I just don't feel safe with the other dr and get a strange feeling when I'm around him.

Old 11-01-2005, 04:27 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Mommie-2-B HB User
Re: Is it safe to be induced at 38 weeks or is it too early?

I was induced at 38 weeks last time, I wasn't even dilated. I was induced because the baby was growing too large and boy was he. 8 pounds 5 ounces! He was perfectly healthy too.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-01-2005, 04:42 PM   #3
(female)

Mommyof3under4 HB User

I had two of my children at 38 weeks and 2 days, both were 9 lbs, but my ob always says unless there is a medical reason, they are not allowed to induce before 39 weeks, and at 38 weeks, I was dilated at 4 1/2, and 90% effaced, and that wasn't even considered a medical reason!!! Good Luck!

Old 11-01-2005, 07:56 PM   #4
Inactive
(female)

newmom2be HB User

i think its safe my mom had my sister at 35 weeks and hse was healthy the nmy best friend had her baby boi in july and she was 34 weeks my doc says they wont me to be alteast 36 weeks that when most people have their babies anywaz well the oneces i know and his cases so i think you and the baby will be fine good luck and let us know

Old 11-02-2005, 01:02 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

weepyone HB User

full term is between 38 and 42 weeks.

Old 11-02-2005, 06:30 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Jordyn HB User

I just read an article last night that stated that inductions result in a much higher rate of medical interventions such as vaccum, forceps, epidurals etc. I was induced at 41 weeks with my son and vow that I'll go over as far as 3 weeks with this one to avoid an induction as my body reacted very poorly to being induced (37 hours of labour, baby in stress but stress not detected...very poor respirations upon birth, apgar of 5).
I guess what I am saying is that if you can just wait till your body is ready to deliver it will be easier on you and the baby.

Old 11-02-2005, 07:41 AM   #7
(female)

thidagirl22 HB User

I do have to admit when I was induced with my daughter it made my labor alot harder than it was the first time. It lasted from 6am til 1pm and I only pushed for 15 minutes and the epidural did not work. I guess I will see what kind of progress I've made this morning and talk to the dr about it. I'm so tired and feel like I'm failing as a mother and a wife. I stay on the couch about 90% of the day because it hurts so bad to walk or move. I guess my main problem is that it feels like someone took a sledge hammer to my pelvic bone (that's why it's such a pain to move). I'm praying that I've made some progress. If I have I am going to wait it out and just maybe I will be able to have my dr to deliver. Thanks for all the responses. I will post later and tell you if there has been any progress or not. Keep your fingers crossed.

Old 11-02-2005, 08:25 AM   #8
(female)

tmarsh HB User

Everyone is different and you can only go with what you feel and your doctor says. Now, I was induced at 38 weeks 4 days with my son this past May. I didn't have any problems. I wasn't in labor long. They started to induce me at 8 am and he was born at 1:38pm, so for me it wasn't bad. I was dilated about 2cm when i went in.

Old 11-02-2005, 08:47 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

andilyn HB User

Like was mentioned, everyone's body reacts different to being induced. I have a 4 month old, and I had to be induced at 37 weeks due to high blood pressure. He came out perfectly fine, 8lbs 3ozs, and my labor lasted 9 hours. My first labor lasted 18 hours. So you could be in labor long if you were induced or not. But if you don't have a medical reason, I am not sure if you can really get induced or not. It stinks that your regular dr might not be able to deliver for you, but it might just be best in the long run to let your body go into labor naturally. With my first, my dr wasn't able to deliver my DD, and so another dr in her practice did, and I hated her. She had a horrible bedside manner, but in the end, I wasn't even paying attention to the fact that she was the one there to deliver since I was so wrapped up in pushing and the pain. I guess even if you don't care for this dr, you might have to have this one deliver you. Unless you are truely uncomfortable because you don't trust them for some reason, then maybe you need to talk to your dr right now about it and hopefully figure something out. Let us know what happens! And good luck!

Old 11-02-2005, 12:43 PM   #10
Inactive
(female)

asako HB User

i was induced @ 34 weeks because my water broke...my son is fine...2.5 weeks old and doing great! i was in labor for 19.5 hours...i've heard though, that being induced is much morepainful than just having nature take it's course...given the choice, i would have waited for nature rather than drugs...but mine was a special circumstance good luck!

Old 11-02-2005, 12:45 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

Valerie_s HB User

I have GD and this is my third baby and my dr said he will induce me a couple of weeks early if I want and all is fine with baby

Old 11-02-2005, 04:51 PM   #12
(female)

thidagirl22 HB User

Well, I went to the dr today and I'm 50% effaced and dialated 1 cm. I guess I could go anytime. My blood pressure was running a little high? First time it's ever been this way. The dr said he cannot induce me until I'm 39 weeks. I don't think I will last two more weeks but we will see.

Old 11-02-2005, 09:01 PM   #13

Tweetymommy HB User

38 weeks would be fine or atleast I hope so, My daughter is a planned c-section at 38 weeks to prevent rupture unless she decides differently.

Closed Thread