It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pregnancy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-01-2005, 07:26 PM   #1
Veteran
(female)

Sherbet HB User
Question What's the concensus on Vitamin K ?

Hiya all...

I've been told I need to provide informed consent for the hospital to administer vitamin K to my baby after birth. Aparently Vit K reduces the likelihood of internal bleeding (and subsequent death). It can be administered by injection through the heal of the foot (ouch!) or multiple oral administrations.

When I questioned my midwife on how the injection must be painful, her response was "oh, the baby won't feel it..." I challenged her on that by asking if the baby cried... she corrected herself by suggesting that "oh, baby won't remember it".

Vitamin K has been tentatively linked with leukemia and no-one will give me a definative answer on whether it is necessary... I'm sure women have been giving birth to healthy babies without this vitamin.

What do you all think?

Old 11-02-2005, 03:57 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

zekat HB User
Re: What's the concensus on Vitamin K ?

I've been told that the baby does not produce Vitamin K for the first 4 -10 days (I can't remember if it is 4 or 10!), BUT if you breastfeed, the baby should get the Vitamin K it needs from you. I think the extra Vitamin K could be necessary if the baby has really tough trip down the birth canal (forceps, vaccume, stuck for a really long time). I've not decided yet either. Maybe we need to ask our doctors / midwives what kind of risk there is to refuse the Vitamin K.
Good luck!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-02-2005, 01:29 PM   #3
(female)

KSAS HB User

I was reading in a book called natural birth choices that only the injection kind of vitamin k has been linked to lukemia and that the oral has not

Old 11-02-2005, 01:38 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Mommie-2-B HB User

Most babies will receive a shot of vitamin K immediately after birth. This protects your baby from a rare, serious bleeding problem that can affect newborns. Newborns lack the ability to make vitamin K, which is needed for blood clotting, for a few days after birth.

But there are no shortage of controversies concerning vitamin K and a newborn. Some earlier studies attempted to show an association between vitamin K administration and increased incidence of childhood cancer, but more recent studies failed to support this concern.

Were we given a Vitamin K shot when we were born?

Last edited by Mommie-2-B; 11-02-2005 at 01:38 PM.

Old 11-02-2005, 03:51 PM   #5
(female)

waiting4baby05 HB User

I think a lot more kids would have cancer if getting the vitamin K injection were the cause. I think the risk of not getting it would be worse then whatever risk it may cause.

Closed Thread