It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pregnancy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-02-2005, 02:55 PM   #1
(female)

theartteacher HB User
Toxemia??? What else could go wrong?!

I am 36 weeks pg, with gestational diabetes. My baby is measuring at 43 weeks. (holy crap) I just had my ob check today and they found a good amount of protein in my urine. This is the first visit i had where they found protein. I didn't get to see my dr. like I was scheduled to see cuz she got called in to delivery. But my nurse was saying that my ankels were pretty swollen and my blood pressure has been fluctuating alot. and I have been gaining about 6lbs a week. (water weight) So I am supose to do this 24 hour urine collection. Then when I turn in a days worth of pee they take blood. My question is this... (to anyone who's been through this) If the test results come back saying that I have toxemia, what will they do? I will be 37 weeks pg by then. Would they concider inducing? My dr. said she wouldn't induce until 39, but do you think she would do it a little bit earlier?

Daphne

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-02-2005, 06:11 PM   #2
(female)

Mommyof3under4 HB User
Re: Toxemia??? What else could go wrong?!

Most hospitals will not allow the doc to induce before 39 weeks, however...if you have toxemia, they can't allow you to carry much further. A friend of mine had it, and they induced her t 35 weeks, and the baby was perfect, right at 5 lbs.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-02-2005, 08:49 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Valerie_s HB User

I had teh 24 hour urine done early in pregnancy to check kidney function, anyhow what they are looking for is the amount of protien in your urine, this shows how well your kidneys are functioning, anyway 300 and above if dangerous, they will induce, the 38 week goes out the window when dealing with Toxemia and stuff

Old 11-02-2005, 09:05 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

roxyfoxy HB User

Holy Moly!!! Your measuring at 43 weeks and your only 36?!?!?! How much did they say the baby weighs?? I can't believe it, I am in shock as I am sure you are as well.

Old 11-03-2005, 06:40 AM   #5
(female)

theartteacher HB User

My dr. told me she wouldn't give me a u/s to determine fetal weight until i was 38 weeks. But I hadn't seen her for like 4 weeks and she hadn't measured me when she said that. I was supose to see her yesterday but she got called in to delivery. But my nurse was kinda shocked and said i should only be measureing 2 weeks bigger or smaller, 7 is kinda extreme. So I am hoping when i see my dr. next week (37 weeks) and if I have toxemia, they'll induce me that comeing weekend (early 38 weeks)

Old 11-03-2005, 09:14 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

roxyfoxy HB User

Your 36 weeks and haven't seen your doctor in 4 weeks? I thought it was supposed to change to every 2 weeks after week 34? Mine did. I don't understand. Your doctor tells you you are measuring 43 weeks at 36 weeks, how did she know if she didn't measure you? I think I missed something. And if you are measuring so far ahead, I would think the doctor would have enough sense to schedule an ultrasound to investigate the situation. I mean its not like you are measuring a week over, its 7 weeks over!!!

Old 11-03-2005, 09:27 AM   #7
(female)

theartteacher HB User

I meant i hadent seen MY dr. in 4 weeks. I had been seeing other drs. cuz she was booked solid. I have to go in weekly for NST and and ob check. and for 2 of those visitis i hadn't seen her i was having contractions, so they didn't measure me. Then the last two visits the other dr. and nurse measured me. I don't know if they were allowed to change what she had said. It was written down that i was not to have an u/s determining fetal weight until 38 weeks. But my dr. has not measured me in about 4 weeks. So after her seeing that i am hoping she'll change her mind. make sense now?

Old 11-03-2005, 01:40 PM   #8
(female)

candicorn HB User

just for your own reassurance I had something like toxemia/pre-eclampsia...they never distinguished the 2 for me and they never told me what I really had, but I heard both terms used when I was in labor. my child was born at 32 weeks and 4 days and was 3 pounds 8 oz at birth. Now at almost 3 years old in December he's very bright, smart, funny and active little boy, his pediatrican says hes advanced for his age (even tho he was born almost a month and a half early)...so DONT worry if they induce you now, it's for yours and the babies saftey if they do. your child will be fine and grow up to be perfect. many do if they're born from 30 weeks on.

Old 11-03-2005, 01:44 PM   #9
(female)

theartteacher HB User

haha, I don't mind if they induce me early. I WANT to be induced earlier then 39 weeks, I guess I am just asking what the chances are if I get the results back positive, if they'll induce me before 39. Or would they but me on bed rest for a week and a half until I am 39

Old 11-03-2005, 01:47 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

roxyfoxy HB User

In my opinion, and I am not a doctor, they should and will induce you before then. If not, I know its a bit late in your pregnancy for this, bu tI would look for a second opinion. I am assuming they will do a section given the size of the baby.

Old 11-03-2005, 01:50 PM   #11
(female)

theartteacher HB User

Thanks, thats kinda what I wanted to hear. I figure that i have my lab appt. tomorrow to take my blood and turn in my 24 hour urine collection, then my next appt. is next wed. I wonder if they'll just wait until i come in to give me the results.. OR would they call me before then? Do you know roughly how long it'll take to get the results? I hope they induce me next week. I've been wanting to cuz he is soo big, i can barely walk cuz his head is so low on my cervix. haha.

Old 11-03-2005, 01:50 PM   #12
(female)

candicorn HB User

i think if you do have toxemia they will induce you, perhaps if your numbers are considerably high on your protein test...the only sure way to get rid of toxemia is to deliver the baby. I bet its too late to put you on any kind of oral med for it. they hooked me up to magnisum sulfate for a day or so to help bring the blood pressure down. i hope for your sake they do induce you its much safer for you that way.

Old 11-03-2005, 01:51 PM   #13
(female)

theartteacher HB User

I know this sounds bad, but I am kinda hoping it comes back with high protein so they'll just induce me and get it over with. I mean, i have gestational diabetes as well, and he is so big. I am sure he is just fine too.!

Old 11-03-2005, 05:44 PM   #14
Senior Veteran
(female)

roxyfoxy HB User

Here is a question, if youa re measuring at 43 weeks and are 36 weeks how much would that put the baby's weight at? I figure if at 36wks the baby is approximately 5.5lbs at 1/2lb weight gain a week that would put your butterball (no pun intended, mine is also a butterball) at 9lbs now. So, if they wait until you are 40 weeks, he will be 11lbs? Is my math right? Also, I got the weights from my doctor but I understand that every baby weighs in differently. That's just an average.

Old 11-04-2005, 08:20 AM   #15
(female)

theartteacher HB User

Yeah, my guess is he's about 9 lbs right now. But they want him in there as long as 39 weeks. So If i go until 39 weeks, he'll be measuring 46 weeks. I won't have a choice of a natural birth. But it doesn't help being seen by 3 different people which 2 of the 3 don't have a say in what to do, they just give me the ob checks. My dr. is way too busy. I just gave my blood and my 24 hour urine this morning at 8am. how long will i wait until i hear back?

Closed Thread