It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pregnancy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-03-2005, 06:24 AM   #1
(female)

lrguyer HB User
Unhappy Down Syndrome Triple Screen

I just heard something about this test that has me worried.....I heard (from more than one source) that when you get this test done, you have to get it done within a 3-4 day window during the pg. If you don't do it within this window then more often than not you will get a false positive and have to go through all of the other testing (including an amniocentisis) to be sure that your baby does or does not have Down's. Has this happened to anyone here? Does anyone know just how common this really is?

Last edited by lrguyer; 11-03-2005 at 06:42 AM.

Old 11-03-2005, 07:12 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

baby#2 HB User
Re: Down Syndrome Triple Screen

I don't think I can help you too much with your question directly but I do know that I have been offered the test for both of my pregnancies and declined it. Even if there is something wrong with the baby I could never abort it. the baby I am carrying was meant to be in my life.
Regarding your situation...if you are planning on having the test done just call your Dr and ask if and when you are able to get it done.
I know some people who have received a false positive and had the amnio done out of fear. They all said even if it came back positive they wouldn't be able to abort their babies. So why bother??? There is usually a higher risk for miscarriage from the amnio than the chance of having a baby with Downs or other problems so I choose not to take that chance!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-03-2005, 09:40 AM   #3
(female)

m2b HB User
Wink Re: Down Syndrome Triple Screen

Just a quick note. I have a 17 year old DS, I was 23 when I had him. They did the triple screen on me and it was negative. So I don't really trust those screenings. I am now pregnant again (17 years later and just found out) and I am a little worried but my son is the best thing that ever happened to me and I wouldn't want to go through an amnio for the chance something might happen. So I am just going to let nature take its course. Having a DS child is not the worse thing that could happen to me, is the way I figure it. Hope this helps in some small way.

Old 11-03-2005, 10:41 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

OrangeCouture HB User

The triple screen test is to identify pregnancies at higher-than-average risk of certain serious birth defects, including neural tube defects, like spina bifida, and chromosomal abnormalities like Down syndrome. They also test between 15-18 weeks of pregnancy.
There are no risks getting this done except a little bruising or soreness at the needle site because they just take a tube of blood from your arm. Most abnormal test results are false alarms. Women with abnormal test results are usually offered further testing with ultrasound and/or amniocentesis. I volunteer for every test offered for myself and the baby, if I find out anything is wrong I would like to know my options and be mentally prepared before the birth.

Old 11-03-2005, 11:36 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

baby#2 HB User

How do you mentally prepare for something like that? I would just worry and wonder "why me?" and cry all the time and provide a depressing and unhealthy environment for the baby. Unless you are willing to terminate the pregnancy if something is wrong, I don't see the point. Just my opinion though!
Orange is right about there being no risk in getting it done. But I think the main concern here is false postives right? So if you happen to get one, which everyone says most of them are false...why put yourself and your dh and other family members and friends through the uncertaintly and worry?? Once again...just my opinion!

Old 11-03-2005, 12:52 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

weepyone HB User

i recently got my triple test done and a positive result is classed as a higher risk result, that is a risk greater than 1 in250. luckily i found out my risk is less than 1 in 7,000 so i won't worry through my pg about this as an issue however i was more than willing to have an amnio had i got a high risk result as risk of m/c is less than 1% and i would want to know to plan for the future. My spina bifida result was also low which was good as my history is a previous m/c and my aunt had a m/c folowed by a baby with spina bifida so i was a bit worried though now i feel more relaxed and happy about my pg and babys health.

Closed Thread