It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pregnancy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-03-2005, 07:22 AM   #1

theb1971 HB User
Help Im Miserable

I have had a horrible flu for the past 3 days. The dr pretty much told me I just had to ride it out. I have been absolutley miserable. Now I have this cough that is soooo irritating. Can I suck on cough drops? And is there anything else besides cough drops I can take. I cannot remember the last time I was this miserable if ever. I would appreciate any advice.

Old 11-03-2005, 07:47 AM   #2
(male)

wd40dn HB User
Re: Help Im Miserable

cough drops & tylenol are your only friends.

my fiance is pregnant and had a bad cold right in the beginning, the pharmacist told us not to take any cough medicine, only tylenol for the aches & pain and cough drops, and lots of rest. drink plenty of liquids (especially hot tea if you like it), but other than that, only choice is to ride it out :/

hope you feel better

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-03-2005, 07:47 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

baby#2 HB User

Been there, done that!! With my first pregnancy I was sooooo sick and achy and just terribly miserable. I sent dh to the pharmacy to see if there was anything I could take. I was 16 weeks prego at the time and I don't know how far along you are but this is what I did.
Cough - Cough drops - Ricola (not halls!)
Stuffy nose - Nasal strips (work great) and Otrivin (only after 1st trimester)
Aches - tylenol and chicken soup and tea
The joys of pregnancy eh!! Can you tell I'm from Canada????

Last edited by baby#2; 11-03-2005 at 07:48 AM.

Old 11-03-2005, 07:52 AM   #4

theb1971 HB User

uuugghh I guess the old saying is true "the truth hurts" huh?
well at least I can do the cough drops. I have the halls right now but will give the ricolas a try. Are the ingredients in those ok? I am 15 weeks right now. All I have been doing is sucking cough drops, taking tylenol and drinking oj like crazy. This is NOT fun!!! I would kill to be able to knock myself out with some nyquil and get a full nights sleep. Thanks for the advice. I wish you all had better news but at least I know cough drops are ok. This cough is just awful! To make matters worse I had to come to work today so I have enough time for maternity leave, I have already been out 2 days with this crap, so I am not a happy camper today at all!! Saying I am a grump would be being VERY polite!

Old 11-03-2005, 08:01 AM   #5

theb1971 HB User

Do either of you know if I can suck on a cough drop more then one every 2 hours? That one every two hours is just not cutting it!!!

Old 11-03-2005, 08:10 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

OrangeCouture HB User

How about a nice bath? There are products that are soothing, minty, and relaxing to put into the tub. I know the store Origins has minty-vapor bath bubbles and even Wal-Mart or Target may have something like that. I know Target does have a peppermint relaxing line, we have the body scrub, it is nice. I would give that a try, it won't make your sickness go away but it may feel nice to escape to the tub for a while.

Old 11-03-2005, 08:12 AM   #7
(female)

angelbaby4912 HB User

I had a bad cold a few weeks ago and my ob said I could take pediatric dimatapp. (sp?) It worked pretty good. I was at least comfortable enough to rest and get through the cold.

Old 11-03-2005, 08:48 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

baby#2 HB User

I consume cough drops on an "as needed basis". I asked my Dr about that and he said take them as you need them. He did say there was a medicinal ingredient in Halls that isn't very good for a developing baby so he suggested Ricola or Fisherman's friends. I had a nasty cold just a few weeks ago as well and lived on both of those cough drops as per my Dr's suggestions. I hope you are feeling better really soon and are able to get some sleep!

Old 11-03-2005, 09:05 AM   #9
(male)

wd40dn HB User

i just thought of something else that might help you...keep in mind that coughing is normally caused by congestion in the chest. the medicine cough suppressants have in them are mild, so taking them more frequent is not a good idea. try the vicks chest rub vapor what-cha-ma-call it stuff. i remember now my fiance used that and it helped alleviate the cough some, and it's a lot safer route to go

Closed Thread