HealthBoards

HealthBoards (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/)
-   Pregnancy (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/pregnancy/)
-   -   Everyone's experience with fetal dopplers (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/pregnancy/338130-everyones-experience-fetal-dopplers.html)

myloathe 11-03-2005 12:05 PM

Everyone's experience with fetal dopplers

OK guys. I'm about 11.5 weeks along, and I just broke down and rented a fetal doppler from online, just for peace of mind. Anyway, this particular brand advertises you can hear the heartbeat as early as 10 weeks. I was listening to the instruction CD that came with it with the different sounds and afterwards, noticed, I cant hear my baby's heartbeat. The only thing I'm hearing is swooshing sounds of fetal blood flow. Needless to say, instead of giving me peace of mind, it hasn't.

Those of you with experience with these, how early in the pg were you able to hear the actual heartbeat??

jriegel 11-03-2005 12:12 PM

Re: Everyone's experience with fetal dopplers

sweety, that sounds exactly like what you should hear. have you ever had a baby before? the baby's heart beat isn't necessarily and thump thump thump sound but a swooshing sound. if you're hearing a constant swooshing sound like you described, that means that SOMETHING is pumping blood around your little bean, right?? :)

baby#2 11-03-2005 12:26 PM

I have heard many mom's to be complain that they can't pick up the heartbeat on those things!! My Dr couldn't even pick it up at 13 weeks with the professional one they use in the office! it says as early as 10 weeks but you know what...the average gestational age to be able to get a h/b on a doppler is between 12 and 14 depending on your baby's location, movement at the time and the mother's weight. The heavier you are the longer it will take to hear! :rolleyes:
I wanted to rent one for my first pregnancy too but my dh said it would just worry me if I couldn't hear the h/b and I think he was right! :eek: Wow dh was right!!! Just kidding. ;)

myloathe 11-13-2005 08:04 AM

What a difference a week makes. All I could hear a week ago was swoosh-swoosh (according to the CD, that's placenta and blood). But now, (I'm officially 13 weeks!), I hear the heartbeat!! It is the coolest thing! It's funny because first thing in the morning, I can pick it up great, but at night, it's almost impossible. My little bean is about 160 beats/min. I seriously think it's a girl, LOL!

roxyfoxy 11-13-2005 08:24 AM

[QUOTE]My little bean is about 160 beats/min. I seriously think it's a girl, LOL![/QUOTE]

Don't get your hopes up, my baby was 174 earlier on, and I thought for sure it was a girl. I was told he's a boy. The heartbeat will change throughout your pregnancy, most do, so don't get alarmed if it does.

As for the doppler, I rented one at 8 wks and was able to hear the heartbeat at 9 wks. I couldn't find it easily, it took some time, and I couldn't find it everytime. It was amazing to hear though.

Going a bit off topic, you know the sounds you hear on the doppler (swoosh-swoosh)? I received a bear at my baby shower that attaches to the crib and plays "the sounds of the womb." Its supposed to calm baby in the beginning because it brings them familiar surroundings. I'm bringing this to the hospital with me since I'll be there for 3 or 4 days.

myloathe 11-13-2005 08:38 AM

Hi roxy
The swooshy bear sounds like a good idea. I wonder if it works?? Let us know. When are you due??

I was joking about the h/b-girl thing. It's just that there are sooooooo many boys in both mine and dh families, we are definitely in need for some females. Not to mention, my sis just had twin boys last year, so we are in need for some estrogen in this family. DH thinks its a boy, but in all honesty, if I can get thru this pg and have a healthy baby, I will be excited either way! You have to admit though, the baby girl clothing is sooooo much cuter than the little boys clothing, LOL.

roxyfoxy 11-13-2005 08:45 AM

Tell me about it! There aren't very many options for boys when shopping for cute clothing. All baby clothing is cute, but seeing all of those cute dresses and sweaters just kills me!

I too was wishing for a girl. I am the only girl in both of our families, so we need some girls too. Maybe next time.

I'm due Nov. 21st, but will be having a c-section TOMORROW! I'm so excited. The section wasn't by choice, but I'll take it. One week earlier to see my boy is jsut as good. He's breech and supposedly on the large side, so no room to turn. Guess I will find out how true that is tomorrow.

MJCota 11-13-2005 12:31 PM

I just want to clarify about hearing the heartbeat based on weight, I am overweight myself and the dr had no trouble finding or hearing my baby's heartbeat and I heard it great at 12 weeks! But then again all women are different :D

roxyfoxy 11-13-2005 01:51 PM

I, personally, don't think it has anything to do with weight. I think it has to do with the position of the fetus. Even with doctors it takes sometime to find the baby's heartbeat that early. The baby is so tiny at that stage s/he could be hiding just about anywhere!

myloathe 11-13-2005 07:41 PM

[QUOTE=roxyfoxy]
I'm due Nov. 21st, but will be having a c-section TOMORROW! I'm so excited. The section wasn't by choice, but I'll take it. One week earlier to see my boy is jsut as good. He's breech and supposedly on the large side, so no room to turn. Guess I will find out how true that is tomorrow.[/QUOTE]

You're getting a Csection tomorrow?? Good Luck! Hope all goes well. Let us know how it went.

dh22 11-14-2005 06:27 AM

i didn't rent mine for my first child until i was 20 weeks but this time i might get it earlier.

jriegel 11-14-2005 09:21 AM

i don't know about renting a doppler but i just had another ultrasound today (8wks 3 days) and saw AND heard the heart beat.... it was a trans vag. u/s, and i know dopplers don't read that way, but... try going to a dr. if you want to hear the heartbeat.

it seems like having a doppler and the low rate of them actually working, would just be an equation for worry.

angelbaby4912 11-14-2005 11:32 AM

I just got my doppler today, and found the heartbeat with no problem. It was such a comfort to hear. I am 16 weeks and 1 day, so I guess that is why I found it so easily.

rounsy222 11-14-2005 11:45 AM

I rented a doppler and was able to hear the heartbeat right away. Its nice to be able to here the heartbeat and as he moves. He likes to play hide and seek. We find him then he moves then we play again.
meg