It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pregnancy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-04-2005, 09:24 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

roxyfoxy HB User
My hands hurt!

My hands are making me crazy these past few days. Earlier on, at about 20-25 weeks or so I had pins and needles in one of my hands when I slept at night. The problem went away, and now, at 38 weeks its back and in both hands. My hands are puffy, I wouldn't say badly swollen, and they feel numb. I get pins and needles all of the time (morning and night). What is going on?? I know pregnancy causes carpal tunnel and you can swell in the hands, but this is rediculous. I am constantly opening and closing my fists. Forget about the blowdryer, I won't even attempt it.
I have a brace for one hand I got earlier on, but I don't see a point in getting another one for just a week at $40.

Any suggestions on how to survive the insanity????

Old 11-04-2005, 09:45 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

debating HB User
Re: My hands hurt!

For the past couple of weeks (I'm almost 20 weeks) I've been getting the pins and needle when I sleep too. It mostly starts in my shoulders and radiates down my arms. I think it's from sleeping on my sides all the time. I can't it stand it sometimes and I have roll onto my back. If it's especially bad at night it lasts through out the day, which REALLY sucks. I also have a really sore neck.

I don't have any suggestions. I have a doctors appointment on Tuesday and plan to bring it up then. I NEED to see a chiropractor or massage therapist or I'm going to go nuts!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-04-2005, 10:02 PM   #3
(female)

leemck HB User

I am 37 weeks and I have had a sore wrist for about 3 weeks. I cannot use my thumb on my right hand. If I grasp something or try to pick up a plate, a pain shoots right up my arm. I did mention this to my local GP and she said the tunnell syndrome is usually on the inside of your hand and that I have probably just bumped it but I would have remembered bumping it. I have researched this on the internet and it is due to pregnancy and should go away after delivery. However, it doesn't always go away and some women have to have minor surgery. It is very annoying as I am right-handed and takes me by surprise at times as I forget until I get that extreme pain!!!!! I also got pins and needles at around 34 weeks in certain parts of my body when I woke up in the morning. I have found that that has gone away now.

Old 11-04-2005, 10:31 PM   #4
Veteran

angelsen HB User

Oh ladies boy do I know what you are talking about!! This pregnancy I have had all sorts of pain !! My hands and arms started with just at night and now it is during the day too. Occasionally I get that shooting pain when I try to use my hand to help me get up or pick up something.

Have any of you had any sciatic nerve pain in the legs? I think it might be more than just that because now it radiates all the way around mainly in my whole right thigh even when I am sitting and worsens when I lie down :frown:

I know it is all worth it, but some relief would be nice!!

Angel
EDD 2/6/06

Old 11-05-2005, 06:40 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Valerie_s HB User

I get that in my hands too at nights, its normal it has to do with the brachial nerve or soething like that my dr. told me, but for the last 2 days I have tinglyiness in just my left big toe, lmao yes just the toe, lol I dunno why

Old 11-05-2005, 07:01 AM   #6
(female)

MaKel HB User

At first I only had pins and needles at night. It would wake me up and I would shake my hand around or keep making a fist and it would go away. For the past week or two (I'm overdue 2 days) my middle finger and index finger on my right hand constantly have pins and needles. I haven't been able to find anything that works to get rid of it.

Old 11-05-2005, 08:52 AM   #7
(female)

the brady bunch HB User

I just delivered my son last week, but I had the same problem you are having. i would wake up in the morning and have to keep opening and closing my fists to get them to work. I am not sure what to tell you willl make it better, I just kinda dealt with it....SORRY

Old 11-05-2005, 09:26 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

roxyfoxy HB User

Brady Bunch--Did it okay away right after delivery?

Old 11-05-2005, 02:47 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

friday13 HB User

I don't think there is much we can do for this... but waiting to hear how the Dr. appt. goes on Tuesday - maybe you can give us some good advice!

I have herniated discs - 4 of them two are in my neck and used to deal with this stuff all the time - it got better and all of a sudden this past week the tingling in the wrists and hands started when I sleep even if its during the day for a nap.

Friday

Old 11-07-2005, 10:33 PM   #10
(female)

leemck HB User

Ladies, I went to the OB for my weekly checkup and I asked him about the sore wrist. He said it something to do with nerves due to the swelling of fluid in the hand and is worse in the morning when waking up (thats me). He said a stress ball would help to exercise the hand. I am starting to notice the other hand is also starting to become sore. He said that the soreness should go away after delivery.

Closed Thread