My due date was this past Thursday. I had an appt with the doctor on Wednesday and he said I have to go in for a nonstress test on Monday and then he will schedule an induction for next week. I was happy at first because I am so ready to have this baby. But, my dh is starting a new job on Wednesday and I'm worried he won't be able to be there when I am in labor or even when I deliver the baby. Do I have to be induced, or can I tell the doctor I would rather wait a while? There are no problems with my pregnancy, other than being overdue. Thanks.
I would encourage you to wait as long as you can unless your baby is in stress. I was in the same boat with ds and just wanted it to be over with so I thought induction was the way to go. From the time they started till I finally had ds it was hours. The contractions are awful when you are induced usually and the stats say that induced labours result in more c-sections, epidurals, episiotomies and vacuum/forceps.
I have stated this time that I'll carry to 44 weeks if I have too (LOL) to avoid an induction. I am using a midwife this time and she has lots of methods to use/try to avoid having to have an induction. Hopefully all works out for both of us....I have a long way to go to worry about it though...edd is May 25.
No, you don't have to have an induction. It's not uncommon to go to 42 weeks. You honestly don't have to do anything and you have every right to speak your mind and ask a lot of questions of your doctor. Maybe when you have the NST, you can ask why he wants to induce, what the risks of the induction are, why he feels the risks outweigh the benefits, etc. I, personally, would be willing to go for a Non-Stress Test every day in order to put off an induction for as long as possible. Personally, I feel the babies time is the best time for delivery (barring pre-eclampsia).
Also, if you do go ahead with an induction, ask your doctor if they intend to use Cytotec... I've heard VERY bad things about this induction agent. I think for the most part it's pretty safe, but it apparantly causes the contractions to be incredibly hard & painful and in some rare cases can actually cause the uterus to rupture. I'd probably ask for a different induction agent if he says this is what he uses.
What do you think about a breech baby? I've posted about this before but now wonder if I am jumping the gun. The Doctor told me he's frank breech and he is too big to turn (approximately 8 1/2lbs at birth. I'm due Nov. 21 but the doctor scheduled a c-section for Nov. 14. I really want to have this baby now, but what if I waited to see if he could actually turn? Would this put the baby and myself in jeopardy?
Have you tried to start things yourself? I know for a fact having done it with my second child by direction of the doctor that nipple stimulation for long periods of time bring on stronger contractions that can result in labor. I had fallen two weeks prior to my babys due date and had streched every muscle known to man in my stomach and life was a nightmare trying to just move through the days let alone get to the bathroom in that morning rush. So about a week before her date the doctor gave me the information to get her started and the next morning my water broke perhaps its a coincidence but ask your doctor, My first baby was induced at 42 weeks and that was awful the contractions were strong but we had no choice the doctor was worried that she would defecate in the womb so it was time. Plus if I let her go any longer she would have been enormouse LOL. Good luck
No its pretty much how it sounds only I had no idea of it at the time. The doctor told me to start out slowly at about 5 minute increments to see if it started contractions and if I could handle the contractions it brought on, after that to give it short breaks and to leingthen it each time or have my husband do it for me. I did it myself as awkward as it felt to do it when she was born the next evening I felt tremendous relief without her anylonger on my muscles or ligaments. I won't have to start this one off however since they have already scheduled me for a c-section before my due date.
Have you tried anything to turn the baby around? I've heard there are a few things that can get your baby to turn around. some types of massage therapy and accupuncture. Ask your Doctor if there is anything he could suggest.