It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pregnancy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-06-2005, 10:03 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

debating HB User
Losing weight?

From the time I found out I was pregnant until my last appointment (16 weeks) I gained 10 pounds. I'm assuming that's fine as my doctor didn't really say one way or another.

Anyway, since my last appointment I've been weighing myself regularly and haven't gained a thing. In fact, the other day I got on and it looked like I lost a pound. I wasn' too concerned with a pound, since that's pretty easy to loose/gain with water. Then I got on this morning and it looks like I'm down FOUR pounds.

WTH?

I'm not sick anymore. In fact, my doctor said at my last appointment that I would start gaining more since I'm able to keep food down now. My appetite is really good!!

I have been suffering from BAD head aches, though. I'll be 20 weeks on Tuesday. Nothing I've read has indicated that it's normal or Ok to loose weight at this point. What could this be from? It kind of has me worried.

Old 11-06-2005, 10:05 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

debating HB User
Re: Loosing weight?

I should also mention that I weigh myself at the same time everyday - first thing in the morning, nakid, after all my morning... well, you know's. (Sorry if TMI). Comparitively speaking, the numbers should be fairly accurate.

Last edited by debating; 11-06-2005 at 10:05 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-06-2005, 01:57 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

weepyone HB User
Re: Losing weight?

north weighing yourself everyday is not an accurate indicator of your weight it will go up and down day to day just weigh your self every 2 weeks and look back over a month and that will give you a better indicator of gain or loss. weighing this often will also lead you to overconcern about your weight and lead to behaviours to control your weight if you don't want to gain much i am 20 weeks and gained 12 pounds approx so far. so we are about the same. i hope this helps stop weighing so often there is no need and it is not accurate

Old 11-06-2005, 04:35 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

lex jude HB User

Losing weight is totally normal. I lost somewhere around 15 lbs before I started to gain (and in fact, I gained the weight pretty quickly after I felt better lol )

Anyways, I would try to eat as healthy as you can, sleep as much as your body tells you to, and drink LOTS of fluids. Are you taking your prenatals?

I think when you need to worry about losing weight is when you are in the third trimester. My best friend was losing weight because she had MS all through her pregnancy, so they just had to watch her so she didn't make herself sick. But your doc will know when it's bad. (BTW she had a 7 lb baby and he was perfectly healthy. I think it took her a week to lose all of her baby weight. Somehow I resent her (playfully) for that!!!!)

Trust me, one day you will wake up, and BAM.....you'll have a huge belly and you will have gained 15 lbs in what seems to be only hours LOL.

Last edited by lex jude; 11-06-2005 at 04:36 PM.

Old 11-06-2005, 04:48 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

debating HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by weepyone
north weighing yourself everyday is not an accurate indicator of your weight it will go up and down day to day
I've weighed myself every day for most of my adult life. With the exception of my period, I don't vary. Since I became pregnant I saw weight gain in the begining, but now it's going down. My numbers are very accurate.

Quote:
weighing this often will also lead you to overconcern about your weight and lead to behaviours to control your weight if you don't want to gain much
I don't have issues with gain. I have issues with weight LOSS. And trust me, there is nothing subconsious about my eating habits that will cause me to loose weight. LMAO.

Old 11-07-2005, 07:29 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Jordyn HB User

I think Weepy was just trying to say that we can all become overconcerned if we watch the scales too much. My midwife actually has me take my own weight and I don't even write it down or tell her about it unless it is a drastic change from the last appointment.
As for losing weight, with ds I gained a bit of weight at the start and then lost about 8-10 pounds between week 10 and week 14. After that I stayed the same until about week 24 and then gradually gained about 15 pounds until about week 34...then between then and week 41 I gained another 15-20 with fluid retention. My doctor was never concerned about any of my losses or gains.

Old 11-07-2005, 07:45 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Valerie_s HB User

when I got pregnant with this baby I was overweight to begin with, so they told me not to lose weight but not tio gain it either, by not losing Im sure they meant dieting, anyhow Im 27 weeks and have yet to gain anything at first I gained 5 lbs because I ate whatever I could the time I dint feel nauseas but I then started a strict ADA det and have lost 7 and didnt gain anything else after the loss, I too weigh every morning just to mke sure that its steady and not flucuationg at all, although your weight does fluctuate throughout the day, I weigh more at the end of the day, thats why I make am appts, lol anyhow I woudnt worry about it

Old 11-07-2005, 02:22 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

Jordyn HB User

Valerie - what is an ADA diet. I too am overweight and am trying not to gain any weight this time...so far I am doing o.k. but this weekend ds has been sick and I eat whatever I can whenever I can around his coughing, vomitting, crying etc!!!! (and I want to have another lol!!!)
I'd love to know more about this.

Old 11-07-2005, 05:48 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

Valerie_s HB User

The ADA diet is the American Diabetes Association diet, I got tested for gestational diabetes really early on and I had a fairly high readingn so I just started the dieat at about 12 weeks and have not gained any weight, the nutriotionist told me I can keep this diet up after the baby to lose weight, if you wanna look online it is also called the "exchange diet" I eat about 1700 cal a day

Old 11-08-2005, 07:47 AM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

baby#2 HB User

I just wanted to mention that I also weigh myself every single morning when I get up, naked and after using the washroom. I fluctuate as well and had noticed a drop in my weight gain around 11 weeks. I had lost 3 lbs in one day is seemed. I wanted to share this with you because I was really worried myself. My Dr said you can lose 3 or 4 lbs in a day just by having a good pee-pee and p#@h! He said there is absolutely no reason to worry about it. He said if you suddenly lose about 10 lbs or more in a day or two then go to the Dr's. I'm almost 16 weeks and have gained about 4-5lbs but at 11 weeks or so I was back to my pre-pregnancy weight and then it piled back on in a few weeks.

Old 11-08-2005, 01:01 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

MJCota HB User

I wouldn't worry to much. I lost 25 pnds in my first trimester after finding out I was pregnant (thanks to terrible morning sickness and diaherra). I haven't gained any since and I'm 21 weeks. I was overweight before and my midwife can relate to me and told me she gained a whole 10lbs with her 2nd pregnancy and lost all and then some after giving birth. She said she wouldn't be suprised if I didn't gained all but 10lbs also or none at all. My baby is perfectly healthy and VERY active!

Closed Thread