It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pregnancy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-07-2005, 12:44 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

OrangeCouture HB User
Arrow Cravings........Pickles?

If and when did any of you experience cravings? And if so, what were your cravings for?

I have a completely normal appetite right now, however A few days ago I was cleaning out the refrigerator and I saw hamburger pickles and since then for the last few days I have been snacking on them. I have never felt inclined to snack on pickles in my life. What's with pickles and pregnancy....does anyone know of any link? Just curious, thanks.

Old 11-07-2005, 12:48 PM   #2
(female)

rounsy222 HB User
Re: Cravings........Pickles?

Im pretty sure it is the salt that your body wants. Yes I crave pickles, but no ice cream which I love. Its totally a turn off for me now. I also crave fr. onion soup and grn olives. Which are all pretty salty!!! Oh and radishes with salt on them.
Now im hungry
Meg

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-07-2005, 12:55 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

weepyone HB User

1st craving was salt and vinegar crisps, then shandy, then chips/fries and gravy. not got any at the moment!

Old 11-07-2005, 01:15 PM   #4
Senior Veteran

skeetersquirt HB User

I think it is the salt in olives, pickles, and things that pregnant women crave. I am not sure why.

I am currently 22 weeks pregnant and I have not had any cravings until the other night. My appetite has been normal and I have not had an increase at all, which I find weird.

I wanted Cherry Pop Tarts so bad I could have walked 10 miles to get them. This was my first craving I would have to say!

Old 11-07-2005, 01:36 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

steph66 HB User

I've only had two really disgusting cravings so far (18 weeks) the first was about 8-9 weeks and it was nasty!!! homemade cheese dip with pickle juice and chips!! YUK!! the second one was mcdonalds french fries dipped in alfredo sauce! I have no idea what kind of nutrients I was trying to get from these but now its just gross thinking about them! Havent had any for the past couple of weeks, these days my appetite is not too picky!LOL!!

Old 11-07-2005, 01:37 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

OrangeCouture HB User

I get on kicks and will want to eat the same thing over and over until I wear myself out on it and have been like this most of my life. At one time it was white Minute rice with lots of regular CHoy soy sauce, I have noticed the past two weeks that I have begun eating this again, and of course I go waaaayyyyyy over my daily intake of salt with the soy sauce.

Old 11-07-2005, 01:46 PM   #7
(female)

Whoababy HB User

my first cravings were hamburger meat with onions and peanut butter. Although i do remember eating a lot of salty stuff - no sweets which is weird because i love cake and icecream too!

Old 11-07-2005, 03:30 PM   #8
(female)

angie22 HB User

I was eating pickles until 2-3 weeks ago almost every day(a little jar a day, gummy bears, chocolate and lot of chicken soup). With my first one through the whole 9 months I was eating 3-4 lemons a day with no sugar or honey, pure lemons - now I can't do that. Oh yeah, and with this one I have to put a little bit of green tabasco on any kind of meat( normaly I cannot eat anything spicey).

Old 11-07-2005, 03:35 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

friday13 HB User

I snack on pickles (which i ate daily anyway before pregnancy) but now I like them WITH green olives or black olives!

Old 11-07-2005, 03:49 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

myloathe HB User

Hamburger dill pickles and the REALLY vinegary salt N vinegar potato chips

Old 11-07-2005, 04:06 PM   #11
(female)

amlve HB User

In the beginning I wanted those small frozen pizzas. The $1 ones. And anything chocolate or fresh pineapple. Of course at 23 weeks I still crave chocolate. But if I could have real Mexican food every day I would be in Heaven. With my DD I craved crinkle cut fries with guacamole and instant mashed potatoes (like KFCs) with french bread. Nothin too scary with either I guess. Im so glad that I dont really crave pure salt, my bp is already thru the roof. UGH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 11-07-2005, 04:51 PM   #12
Veteran
(female)

Infinitum HB User
Cool Re: Cravings........Pickles?

I'm just about 8 weeks now and have miserable nausea--morning sickness. I LOVE food--especially Sushi, Southern Vegetarian Indian, Tai, Turkish etc... I'm really adventurous with the things I eat. However, the past 2 weeks have been miserable. The morning sickenss--more like all day sickness has hit me hard. I no longer like the foods I use to once crave. I detest the smell of spices as well as the taste. Right now I can hold down very little, such as pickles, dry-canned-fresh fruits, nuts, any kind of potatoes, hamburger meat and veggies---that's it! Ughh!!! Boring! The more bland the food, the less sick it makes me.

Oh well! At least it's not forever!

Old 11-15-2005, 11:57 AM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

OrangeCouture HB User

Grilled cheese is one of my favorites and not reading this makes me want to begin eating them again, I usually go through phases where I like to eat the same thing over and over until I wear myself out for a while!

Old 11-15-2005, 12:14 PM   #14
Senior Veteran
(female)

MJCota HB User

I can't get enough pickles, banana's (which I couldn't eat until the other day, I'm 22 weeks and they made me terribly sick), apples and HAMBURGERS FROM BURGER KING with extra pickles of course, I love warm pickles lol. My hubby will ask what I want for dinner and I'm like "I'm craving the king".

Old 11-19-2005, 11:28 AM   #15
(female)

may/junemom2be HB User

Here's my input.

I have come to the conclusion that the reason pg women crave pickles is for the salt and because the vinegar is very settling to the stomach. My fiancee's family swears that vinegar is the cure-all. If you have a sore throat, drink a little bit of pickle juice. I have to say that I have been eating a lot of pickles with my meals (horrible morning sickness) and I don't get nauseous after eating anymore when I eat a pickle with my meal. My fiancee's father drinks a capful of vinegar every morning and for the four years that I have known him, he has NEVER been sick. Makes you think doesn't it?

Closed Thread