It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pregnancy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-07-2005, 04:41 PM   #1
(female)

RainyNight HB User
How long will it take for my belly to show?

Hey yall, I am currently13wks3 days along and it seems like I have no belly yet whatsoever. I was online looking at pictures of other womens bellies that are exactly as far along as I am and they all are definately showing. This is my 3rd pregnancy but I did loose both of them real early on so I really don't know. I thought for a moment i was getting some sort of a pooch but it ended up being just bloat I think, cause there is nothing now. Hehe. When did everyone's bellies start showing? is this normal? I would love to hear stories.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-07-2005, 05:40 PM   #2
(female)

Mommyof3under4 HB User
Re: How long will it take for my belly to show?

I would say it really depends on your body frame. I think that someone that is really skinny will start to show much sooner than someone who is heavier. With my last pregnancy, I started showing around 12 weeks, and I only gained 2 lbs, and the baby was 8lb, 14oz,

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-07-2005, 07:06 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

OrangeCouture HB User

It does depend on your frame, height, and weight. I am currently 18 weeks and I would say just this past week or two I have noticed that I stick out a little more than looking like I ate too much for dinner. It isn't quite to where people can visibly tell, but if I have another growth spurt, at that time it will be very possible I might begin to be noticable to others.

Old 11-08-2005, 08:57 AM   #4

pgta5 HB User

It's so funny that you posted this because last week I was getting compliments on how I wasn't showing at all ( I am carrying twins and am 14 weeks and 3 days). I promise, it a matter of 3 days I GREW! I mean from below my chest to under my belly. I didn't believe that it could happen all of a sudden but it did!

As long as everything is progressing normally I wouldn't worry. With my DS I didn't show until around 22 weeks along. I was still wearing my regular clothes!

Old 11-08-2005, 09:06 AM   #5
Senior Veteran

laurabelle1317 HB User

Like the pp said, it really does depend on each person and your frame and whatnot. I have to disagree though about relaly skinny people showing sooner. I had always heard that really skinny girls don't show as soon. I never undersottd this until I got pg because you would think that they would show sooner since they were so small to begin with. If you are really skinny, then adding on 5 inches just makes you more average. But if you are already more average, than adding on 5 inches is really going to stick out more. And it is true that often heavier women take longer to show though.

For me, I was 5 1/2 inches larger than pre-pregnancy from about 11 weeks to 18 weeks and didn't really look pregnant, unless you knew what I looked like before. I just only looked pretty average, no longer really skinny and sometimes looked like I was bloated and should be sucking in my stomach. lol (which I wouldn't) I just had a growth spurt last week of an inch so now when I put on my maternity shirts come of them are actually fitting (as long as I tie them real tight in the back) and I look pregnant - but not very big yet still. I am 19 1/2 weeks right now.

It'll happen! I promise! I couldn't wait to show and still can't wait to show even more! When I was 11-18 weeks I really didn't grow at all, the upper part of my belly just filled out to match the lower part that had already been sticking out a little. This time period seemed to last forever as I was so anxious to start showing! I have heard that around 19-20wks a lot of women really start having those growth spurts. That is seeming ot be true in my case as well.

Good luck!

Old 11-08-2005, 09:15 AM   #6

brands11 HB User

I am almost 20 weeks now and I seriously believe that my belly has grown overnight. I noticed it at 18 weeks but from that point until now it just popped out. I went from nobody being able to tell I am pregnant to it being obvious. My hubby was away on business and he came home to a shock!

Old 11-08-2005, 09:57 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

baby#2 HB User

You're only 13.3 wks and are worried about not having a tummy yet!? I don't know what pics you were looking at but most people don't start showing, especially with their first, until closer to 18 or 20 wks. With my first I was fairly thin to start off with and was starting to show a little pouch around 15 or 16 wks. This however, was not noticeable to anyone else but myself and my dh. I didn't even tell anyone at my work until I was in my 22nd wk and was able to hide it no problem. I gained 68lbs and had a 9lb 6oz baby!
Your tummy will come...don't worry. And by the end of it you will not be able to wait to wear a belt again!!

Old 11-08-2005, 10:13 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

friday13 HB User

yOU will know when you look pregnant to others - (well especially to men) because they will CLEARLY move out of your way and go out of their way to hold doors for you!! This just happened to me today - and I am 25 weeks! so mid way thru my 6th month is when I started to show and not look like I needed to lose weight! LOL!!

So cute.... two different men moved out of my way and held the door for me today. The difference that i noticed was that they did these things WAY before I needed it (they had to hold the door and "wait" for me to get there)! etc. not like normal hold the door for you... stuff. That was nice!

Last edited by friday13; 11-08-2005 at 10:15 AM.

Old 11-08-2005, 10:18 AM   #9
Senior Veteran

laurabelle1317 HB User

People will also clearly look at your belly as you walk past them. This just started happening to me yesterday as I have just started transitioning into some of my maternity shirts. Its kind of wierd at first to see people's eyes go from your face to your belly. lol But I guess we have to get used to it! lol

Old 11-08-2005, 11:55 AM   #10
(female)

Laetitia HB User

I sure hope it's soon for me! I'm 16 weeks today. I was about 185lbs (5'7") before I got pg, and I'm not really into maternity pants yet. Most of them are just HUGE on me. Other people think I look pregnant - I just think I look fat. I already had quite the poochy belly, and it's not grown enough to look really obviously pg yet.

Old 11-08-2005, 01:42 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

MJCota HB User

I'm 21 weeks and start showing around 19 weeks. I feel like I'm growing more and more each day. Just went out and bought more materinty pants and shirts bc I can no longer fit in my normal jeans. Don't really fill in shirts yet, also bc I'm carrying so low. I had a lady tell me the other day I was lucky I didn't look pregnant, kinda hurt my feels bc I thought she was saying I just looked fat lol, but I realized my husband and mother notice and yes, I've had ppl go from face to tummy when in public. You'll start showing in a few more weeks. Don't always believe what you see on the internet, all women are different!

Old 11-08-2005, 01:53 PM   #12
(female)

edogoneill HB User

With my first pregnancy which I m/c at 10 weeks I never got a belly. This time I started showing right away. I would say that by about 12 or 13 weeks I started to slowly ease into maternity clothes, however, it was frustrating b/c at that time it seemed to me that I felt too fat for my normal clothes but not fat/pregnant enough for the maternity clothes. Now I am 15 weeks and will be starting my 16th week on Thurs. and I am more noticably round.

Old 11-08-2005, 02:45 PM   #13
Veteran
(female)

Hypnotic HB User

i started to show around 5 mths.

Old 11-08-2005, 03:20 PM   #14
(female)

charstar HB User

I am 18 weeks right now and the way I look changes from day to day. One day I will look pregnant, the next I won't. It's because of your bowels bloating or something. I've also noticed I look like I've gained weight. Most of my clothes don't fit, yet I weigh the same amount I did before I got pregnant. SO I guessI really don't know. Pregnancy is a funny tricky thing.

Old 11-08-2005, 03:52 PM   #15
(female)

rojo6pak HB User

PGTA5 it was nice to read your post as I too am carrying twins,(5th pregnancy) however I am just 8 wks 5 days along. Just some quick questions for you, are they your first?? and if not, do you find that your tummy is a little more tender than with your previous pg's??? do you get morning sickness? and if so is it still lingering? I heard that with twins, things are a bit different..I just don't remember feeling as uncomfortable this early into it than with the other pgs. Other than that (and with a couple problems I've recently had) I am okay, just inquistive.
Rojo

Closed Thread