It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pregnancy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-07-2005, 07:17 PM   #1
(female)

retrochick HB User
Question Why Do I Still Worry--should i?

I'm 10 weeks and 2 days.
I keep reading message boards where women who are like 8 weeks along they go in to hear or see the heartbeat and the tech cant find it...then suddenly they're being scheduled for a D&C. The woman had NO symptom that anything was wrong!!
I dont have my appointment to hear the hearbeat until the week of Thanksgiving How do I know if everything is ok? I still feel a little queasy, still tired, food aversions, back ache and slight cramp here or there.
Do you think I should stop worrying? Why are some of these women clueless when they dont find the heartbeat. It seems like it's such a shock. How could that be that they wouldn't have any symptom of something wrong?

Old 11-07-2005, 07:56 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

steph66 HB User
Re: Why Do I Still Worry--should i?

I am 18 weeks and i still have days when I worry like that. I was sometimes frantic in the first trimester. I wont tell you to stop worrying (cause you wont ne ways!LOL) You are entering the end of the first trimester so that is something to celebrate and that should put a lot of your worries to rest. it did mine. As for those message boards- i try not to read a lot of sad-bad ones like that because they scare me to death! its so hard not to worry a lot esp this early on because you dont have much going on to reassure you that everything is fine, when you are further along you have the baby kicking to let you know their fine, but at this stage you dont even have the heartbeat (unless you get an ultrasound)
If you are really concerned maybe you should give your doc a call and see if there is anything they can do to ease your worries, maybe they can give you an early ultrasound. it'd still be a good idea to call and hear their advice. Your situation and symptoms sound good to me and its a safe bet to say your babe is just fine. Youre not alone in these feelings-it happens to all of us at some point! good luck and i hope everything turns out fine!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-07-2005, 08:11 PM   #3

Tweetymommy HB User

Every thing sounds fine to me in your case, generally speaking the earliest a heartbeat can be found using a doppler is 10 weeks so if a woman 8 weeks along visets the doctor they couldn't find it without an ultrasound. If an ultrasound did not show a hb at 8 weeks that would be a problem. In my case I viseted the doctor at 10 weeks and no hb was heard, and again at 12 weeks they brought me back (3 mc's) still they could not decern a hb so we did an ultrasound and there it was, at 16 weeks again no hb with the doppler and again another u/s to get her hb. It wasn't until I was 20 weeks along that she was heard simply. As the person above me stated around your 17th week or so you should start to feel activity very slight at first and growing stronger each and every week after that. I am now at 24 weeks and she never stops kicking its a nice re-assurance given my history. You have made it through the toughest part of the first trimester, although you are not done with it yet each week past 6 is a good milestone and your chances of a mc drop. Go ahead and enjoy yourself you sound like you have healthy symptoms.

Old 11-08-2005, 12:59 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

weepyone HB User

you are still having symptoms so iam sure all is well. i had these fears before my 12 weeks scan i was crying in the waiting room worried my baby would have died he had not. i get my 20 week scan today and have to keep reminding myself of course he is alive i can feel him moving. take care i am sure you will feel better when you have seen baby is ok

Old 11-08-2005, 08:41 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

OrangeCouture HB User

I would don't worry so much when you hear other people's stories. That is their story and they have different history, etc as to why things may be happening to them, and others don't. Either way until your doctor tells you something if wrong or you need to be worried, I wouldn't fuss so much. As for the heartbeat, sometimes it takes time to hear it, like someone else said even up to 10 weeks. Sometimes doctors or nurses have a difficult time finding it, it doesn't mean that your not okay though.
Unless it is just me....but I don't waste time worrying about what could be,, could have been, what if...etc. I know I am pregnant, I am enjoying it, most women come through this process successfully and I don't worry until I am given a reason to worry. Thats just me.

Old 11-08-2005, 09:24 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

baby#2 HB User

Retrochick - I completely understand where you are coming from! I am 15.5 wks pregnant with my second child and went through the same worries and concerns at 10 wks!
I, as usual, was reading way too much on the net and became very nervous and worried about missed abortions (when the baby dies and does not abort). I suddenly realized that I had lost most of my pregnancy symptoms so I called my Dr all frantic and concerned. They sent me for an u/s and that morning two hours later I say my little bean jumping around with a h/b of 167!
There is no way of knowing everything is okay unless you have an u/s done or if the Dr. can hear the h/b with a doppler. My advice to you...try to get in sooner to hear the h/b and if you don't then ask for an u/s. I live in Canada so maybe the rules are different here but I'll tell ya, I wouldn't have been able to focus on anything else until I knew the little one was okay!
Chances are everything is fine but if it's worrying you that much, call the Dr!

Old 11-09-2005, 08:42 AM   #7

jriegel HB User

Retrochick - being able to hear a heartbeat depends on more than just your baby - it depends on your body (if you're overweight (not just with pregnancy weight) it can make it difficult to hear through all the extra "padding", the equipment may not be working or set up correctly (even though they do it all the time, you never know, maybe they just don't have it placed right) and a ton of other factors). Sometimes it's not even easy to see the heartbeat on an u/s because of these things and the position of the baby.

I have totally been wondering the same things you are, and I was supposed to have an u/s yesterday and it was cancelled, and I was really looking forward to seeing the heartbeat and then got anxious because I didn't get a chance to.

I had to tell myself: the truth is, whether I freak out or not, whether I see an u/s or not, none of that will affect whether my baby is ok or not. It just is or isn't. So freaking out isn't going to change the outcome, and neither will having an u/s. I just have to trust everything is perfectly fine. And if it's not, an ultrasound only would have shown me, not changed the outcome, and I would have to deal with it all anyway. So freaking out and having an ultrasound are not going to change whether my baby's ok or not. So I might as well just trust and enjoy this instead of freak out and get anxious.

I have to tell myself this about 7 or 8 times a day.

Old 11-09-2005, 08:47 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

weepyone HB User

my baby's heartbeat was not heard on a doppler till i was 16/17 weeks

Old 11-09-2005, 10:10 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

baby#2 HB User

Getting back to retro's original question, there sometimes are no signs or symptoms that something is wrong. It seems wrong doesn't it? That's why I went for an u/s at 10.1 wks. I knew there could be something wrong and just didn't know it. I would rather have known then than wait a few more weeks thinking I was still carrying a growing fetus. In my opinion, the sooner the better!
Have you called your Dr or anything or are you going to wait? It's true that the h/b is not always detectable at 12 wks. With my first we heard it no problem at 12 weeks, with this one, I still have yet to hear it on a doppler and I'm 16wks tomorrow.

Closed Thread