It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pregnancy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-07-2005, 09:04 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

roxyfoxy HB User
Bringing in the breastmilk before delivery???

I am trying to learn more about breastfeeding before I give birth to my baby on the 14th, but I am a bit scared. I do fully intend to breastfeed, but I understand that your milk doesn't usually come in until 2 or 3 days after baby's birth.

Are there any techniques I can do to get my milk supply in before baby is born? I know colostrum is very important for the baby, but to me, I don't appear to have much. I don't have any leakage and if I squeeze my nipple (TMI) nothing really comes out. I am so scared that I won't have anything to give the baby after birth and I really want to make breastfeeding an easy and successful experience.

Old 11-07-2005, 09:35 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

nyxin HB Usernyxin HB Usernyxin HB User
Re: Bringing in the breastmilk before delivery???

breast feeding is a wonderful experience IMO. as far as your colostrum goes, don't wory, it will be there. I had a lot of anxiety too, but it really will come naturally to you if you allow your self to relax. Check out a Le Leche leauge in your area, know that nipple shields are your friends for those babies with a strong sucker but bad aim and know that your body, just like making your baby will know what to do. I am actually in the process of weaning my 7 1/2 month old off the breast (working too much to keep up production) and I miss it already. there is a lot of support out there for breast feeding, your hospital should have lactation nurses on hand as well to help you first hand. you are going to do great!!!
C-Section Aug 1st 08 with baby BOY #3
OMG!!!!!!!!!!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-07-2005, 11:59 PM   #3
Veteran
(female)

Sherbet HB User

I too had similar concerns that my milk or colostrum wouldn't come through. Firstly, your colostrum will be there, I am at 35 weeks and have not had any leakage at all but have faith that it is there... I'm told that the hormones which are produced following delivery set off the letdown process, for example the pulling away of the placenta encourages this. There is really no way for you to encourage your milk to come in before this happens.

Everything will be fine.... with a little help from a lactation consultant you'll be a professional in no time

Old 11-08-2005, 07:35 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

baby#2 HB User

I had a lot of leaking starting at 5 months and I couldn't breastfeed! There were many circumstances as to why that was but just so you know I had milk literally dripping out of me by the 4th day and was pumping every 3 hours and my baby still wouldn't latch properly. He would scream bloody murder as soon as I got him in the bf hold. Trust me, I tried everything possible to bf but nothing was working. Even the lactation nurses couldn't help.

Closed Thread