It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pregnancy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-08-2005, 12:25 PM   #1
Inactive
(female)

Fullfire HB User
Which pads did you use, and how many packs?

I was wondering what pads did you all use for after the birth for bleeding? I bought a 28 pack of over night always pads. I figure I would buy a pack of maternity pads then have a the pack of over night and I should be good for a couple of days.. lol this is what I am thinking anyways. I would love to see your opinions.

Old 11-08-2005, 12:34 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

baby#2 HB User
Re: Which pads did you use, and how many packs?

I used the extra long over night Always pads for the first week or two and then I down sized! You can tell when you don't need quite as much protection. The bleeding wasn't as bad as I thought it was going to be. I tried the maternity pads that they give you at the hospital (here in Canada) and they don't adhere to your underwear so you are constantly worried they are slipping forward or backwards. I brought a pack of Always with me and used those instead! I changed the pad pretty much everytime I went to the bathroom for the first 3 or 4 days and then I noticed it taper down.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-08-2005, 01:52 PM   #3
Inactive
(female)

Fullfire HB User

Thank you. It seems that the overnight pads are what most people pick. I have seen those masternity pads lol and they look very uncomfy. lol I don't walk around wearing a 3 inch thick pad. At my hospital you have to bring your own pads.

Old 11-08-2005, 02:00 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

blue_eyed_girl HB User

My hubby had to buy them when we got home from the hospital. He was going out to get my pain pills anyway. He got some generic brand from Walgreens that worked really well. Like the other poster, it wasn't as bad as I thought it would be.

Old 11-08-2005, 02:23 PM   #5
(female)

charstar HB User

How long do you bleed for after you have the baby? Can anyone tell me?

Old 11-08-2005, 02:39 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

blue_eyed_girl HB User

6-8 weeks +/-. It wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. I thought I would be gushing and going through a pack of pads quick frequently. It was like a period for me, just very long. I had to change my pad every 1-2 hours the first few days (not really b/c I had to just b/c it is gross and I hate pads). Around the 4th week it got real light and I thought I would be one of the lucky ones who doesn't bleed for 6 weeks, but it started back. I bled for a little over 6 weeks..just a few days.

Old 11-08-2005, 03:31 PM   #7
(female)

amlve HB User

I litterally bled till my 6 week appt with my DD. Hopefully not as long with this one. But I do have to have a colpo done at my 6 week. Yay!!!!!! No tellin how much longer that will add to the bleeding time. I just used overnight pads then weaned myself down after that. I dont know if anyone lese has mentioned it, but after a vaginal birth Tucks Medicated pads are wonderful. Just place 2 or 3 on your pad after every change. It soothes the aches away tremendously. LOL. Sorry if thats TMI but trust me, I'll have em this time around too.

Old 11-08-2005, 04:02 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

Gayle0000 HB User

I bled for 5 weeks after delivery.

I took home the big pack of the huge pads in the hospital. Those lasted me about 4 days at home. They do look like diapers, but I really needed them. I don't think a regular average overnight pad would have given me the coverage I needed in the beginning.

After that, I used Always something-or-other. I didn't have the big blood clots like I was told might happen. I was told anything the size of a golf ball and smaller was normal. GOLF BALL?? Still thankful I didn't experience that.

My bleeding was like a heavy menstrual cycle in the beginning. I was on pads for about 4 weeks. I think about the first 4-5 days I was changing my pad every time (becasue it was full and NEEDED to be changed) I used the bathroom...then it tapered off...becoming like an average menstrual cycle...but lasted for weeks. I graduated down to pantiliners the 5th week.

Something nobody told me...hoping this might be useful to someone else...the first couple weeks, you will be cleansing yourself with a squirt bottle of water and dabbing dry with toilet paper (for vaginal births, anyway). After you are done with the squirt bottle, you will just wipe as normal. There was an odor to the blood (called lochia) that is more strong than menstrual blood. I kept that squirt bottle around and would cleanse myself a couple times throughout the day because I could smell that odor...and assumed others could to...or...sometimes I also wiped myself with a baby wipe to freshen up. When the lochia starts to lose it's color & seems like you're hardly bleeding...it's still there...it's clear...and it smells. That was my experience, anyway.

I was pretty glad when the bleeding stopped.
Gayle

Old 11-09-2005, 06:50 AM   #9
Inactive
(female)

Fullfire HB User

I had a d+c once and I bled for 4 weeks. My periods were always fairly light but I just bled and bled. I myself can be a bit a of bleeder. I guess I won;t really know until the times comes. I figured I would pick up another pack of the over nights or 2.. lol I can see myself chaning the pads alot. I was told by someone who had a d+c that you bleed much like that. lol I told my husband how long women can bleed for after labour and he had no idea.. lol

Old 11-09-2005, 07:19 AM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

baby#2 HB User

Ya, the squirt bottles are a blessing. I always filled them up with warm (not hot) water before ever pee and would squirt the water into my urine stream to ease the pain. It can be really uncomfortable to pee and pooh after having an episiotomy. I was so scared to use the bathroom for the first time after having the baby. Also, at least twice a day I would pour myself a sitz bath to keep the area clean.
To be safe I would suggest buying 3 or 4 packs of pads. We had two washrooms so I always made sure I had a squirt bottle and a pack of pads in each one.
I bled for 4 weeks. The 4th week was very light and definitely barable. By my 6th week Dr's appointment I was given the go ahead to try to have sex again. We tried that night but I was too nervous! 2 nights later we had no problem!!!

Old 11-09-2005, 12:21 PM   #11
Inactive
(female)

monim361 HB User

Hey
I bled very heavy for the first week had to use those huge diaper pads from the hospital. I then switched to the overnight always. I did get those huge golf ball size clots (maybe 4 of them) By week three it was very light and then stopped.

Old 11-09-2005, 12:32 PM   #12
Inactive
(female)

Fullfire HB User

lol when I had my d+c I bad blod clots the size of maxi pads, it was horrible. I hope I don't have those again. Someone told me that putting water in maxi pads and freezing them feels great after the birth. It sounded kind of funny at first but alot of people have said it works.. lol I 'll try it.

Old 11-09-2005, 08:54 PM   #13
(female)

Ralinda30 HB User

Oh yea about those ice packs the hospital gives you, after you give birth it is so SWOLLEN and it was such a nice relief...I bled for 6 weeks and I also used always overnight's...I liked them and they gave good coverage.....A bonus for me is I didn't get my AF until DD was 8 mo, another advantage of B-feeding....Good luck, Ralinda

Old 11-09-2005, 11:27 PM   #14
(female)

petalz HB User

I liked the always plus size overnight pads. They had a nice width and for the heavier flow taking two pads and kind of overlapping them a bit in the middle helps. I used 2 of the large packs at home for the heavier bleeding than went to regular pads and liners. For about a week and a half I changed the pad everytime I went to the bathroom. Only thing I hated was the tape on the "wings" would undo and stick to my leg. I never had a leak with always whereas the maternity pads the hospital gives you had some leaking around the edges. . I used the peri bottle with a c section everytime I used the bathroom because I couldn't have a bath for 6 weeks and I didn't feel that clean from the shower. I bleed 10 weeks but I think 4 weeks of that was the new birth control pill I started at 6 weeks. Thank God it stopped 2 weeks ago. I was starting to think I was going to bleed to death. Another use for pads as weird as it sounds - If you have a c section and have staples in your tummy putting a pad on your panties at the incision area helps support the tummy and your panties won't brush against the staples causing irritation. A nurse at the hospital had me do this while I was there 5 days. Also if you have a c section don't wear bikini briefs for the first while . I did that and boy did I regret that.

Last edited by petalz; 11-09-2005 at 11:35 PM.

Closed Thread