It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pregnancy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-08-2005, 06:06 PM   #1
Veteran

rach12 HB User
Food to avoid

I read that pregnant women should avoid lunch meat ( subway sandwiches) unless the meat is heated up. There is a name of a infection we can get??? It said the same about hotdogs. Have any of you heard this before??

Old 11-08-2005, 06:43 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

ittal HB User
Re: Food to avoid

The big bad evil infection pregnant women can develop is called Lysteria (someone correct me if I spelled that wrong). Your chances of contracting it : 1 in 26,000. You have a greater chance of getting into a serious car accident.

Supposedly, deli meats, soft cheeses and processed meats (such as hot dogs, bologna, chicken roll) harbor the nasty bacteria that will kill us all in our sleep. However, according to almost every doctor that isn't an alarmist, if you follow safe food handling instructions (and ensure your deli does as well) you have an incredibly slim risk of actually contracting the infection. Even at that, a healthy woman with a healthy immune system has a microscopic risk of developing a serious case (think of similar 'epidemics' : west nile, anthrax and the dreaded FLU).

If your meat came to room temperature, then heat it up. If it stayed cold the entire time, then it's fine. Heat hot dogs all the way through. Keep hard cheeses fresh and free of fuzz. You'll be fine...

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-09-2005, 08:33 AM   #3

jriegel HB User

I'd never heard of it coming from deli meats, only soft cheese. But I can tell you I ate a deli sandwich two days ago to try to get in some protein, and it sat in my stomach the entire day. I was burping all day long and all I could taste was the sandwich, and it felt like a rock in my stomach. And it's one of my favorite sandwiches I ate pretty often before I got pregnant and that never happened.

I also read recently that honey is bad for babies (already knew that) but also for pregnant women, I guess for the same reasons: possible harm from penicillin or some kind of mold/fungus. Well, I made myself some hot water with lemon and honey to help with my nauseau this morning. I guess it helped - it made me throw up (felt a little better afterward, but the vomiting totally sucked - the first time I've thrown up since I've been pregnant). No fun

Old 11-09-2005, 08:51 AM   #4
(female)

lrguyer HB User

Okay, this is what I hate about all of those crazy pregnancy books and websites! The key is moderation and regular safety. You can get this same disease/illness when you are not pregnant, you are just slightly more able to get it. BUT, if you cook food and keep it in fridge just like you normally would, it is VERY unlikely that you will get it. There is no reason to avoid hot dogs and deli meats bc of this. Just don't eat it if it's been sitting out all night I stressed out about all of this too when I first found out I was pg, but eventually you will give up listening to all of the DONTS bc there are more don'ts than dos

Old 11-09-2005, 09:06 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

debating HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by jriegel
But I can tell you I ate a deli sandwich two days ago to try to get in some protein, and it sat in my stomach the entire day. I was burping all day long and all I could taste was the sandwich, and it felt like a rock in my stomach. And it's one of my favorite sandwiches I ate pretty often before I got pregnant and that never happened.
That's not Lysteria... LOL. That's called having a sensitive pregnant tummy. LOL.

Oh and guess what? I also cleaned the cat box this morning!!

Last edited by debating; 11-09-2005 at 09:08 AM.

Old 11-09-2005, 10:47 AM   #6
(female)

lrguyer HB User

North..You didn't!!! And you call yourself a mother!!! I do have to just roll my eyes at all of the rules (I'm sure someone out there has had trouble with it, but not enough that we should ALL avoid EVERYTHING!!!

Old 11-09-2005, 10:55 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

baby#2 HB User

I have to say something about the cat litter! I have two cats myself and my Dr said in no way should I clean it. There is a very very small chance of contracting the disease (can't remember what it's called) but it's very harmful to the fetus. It can actually cause deformations in your growing fetus. My dh has been cleaning it and I keep my distance. I wash my hands after touching them as well. I figure with something as harmful as that, no matter how small the chance, I will not risk it.
As for the food...eat and enjoy. I also heard that honey is fine for a pregnant woman to eat...as long as it's pasturized.

Old 11-09-2005, 11:52 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

debating HB User

It's called toxoplasmosis. You can also get it from gardening (or eating unwashed fruits and vegitables), or touching and/or eating infected beef, lamb, pork or venison. Are you going to stop eating pork, beef and fresh vegitables?

It's also more associated with outdoor animals, as you don't know where they have been (eating birds, mice, bugs, etc) then with strictly indoor cats (which mine are) who only eat a packaged food which has been thorougly cooked.

And, the only way you can GET it from a cat, is to INJEST (which means to swollow) the infected fecies. I don't know about you, but I don't eat cap poop.

And lastly, like lysteria, it only targets people with weakened immune systems. A pregnant woman DOES NOT have a weakened immune system. She has a BUSY immune system. There is a difference. If you are taking prenatal vitamins.. heck, if you're taking ANY vitamins, then chances are your immune system is being supported, thus DECREASING the risk even more.

And lastly, if you vow never to clean the cat box and then lick your fingers, but instead wash thoroughly with an antibacterial soap, you'll probably be A-O.K. OR.. you can wear gloves like I did.

Apart from eating deli meat (I LOVE subway) and cleaning the cat box, I also eat soft cheeses, use the microwave, vacume my own floors, and *gasp* enjoy a cup of COFFEE in the mornings!

I get a great kick out of doctors who like to put the fear of LIFE into pregnant women. There's no doubt that I'm more careful now that I'm pregnant, but unless I forget to take my vitamins and eat raw contaminated meat and consume cat poop, I don't think my chances of getting lysteria or toxoplasmosis are very high.

Last edited by debating; 11-09-2005 at 11:57 AM.

Old 11-09-2005, 12:01 PM   #9
(female)

BNGIRL HB User

North, I couldn't agree with you more!!! I ate pretty much anything I wanted my first pregnancy, after all the m/s subsided. And it never tasted so good!! Now ladies if you do want to be a little more careful, I completely understand. We do need to realize that our little ones are pretty well protected. Enjoy your pregnancies, don't worry yourselves sick!!

Old 11-09-2005, 12:02 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

baby#2 HB User

My cats are also indoor and eat only bagged dry cat food. I still won't do it. Maybe it's just me but even the idea of being near cat poop when I'm pregnant makes me feel ill. I just really don't want to take any chances with that. Seeing as I don't garden and I always cook my meat really well and don't eat soft cheeses, why would I start with cat litter cleaning when there are so many other pleasant choices!?
I do however use the microwave and also enjoy a good cup of caffinated coffee every now and then!
I just choose to stay away from the dirty, smelly, yucky, potentially hazardous cat litter! I don't feel I am restricting myself from enjoying the good life by not doing this and dh fully understands and agrees with me.
That said, I eat pretty much anything I want and don't worry about it. You're right about the Dr's instilling fear into pregnant women. I agree we should be educated but come on, there's a limit.

Last edited by baby#2; 11-09-2005 at 12:04 PM.

Old 11-09-2005, 12:13 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

debating HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by baby#2
I just choose to stay away from the dirty, smelly, yucky, potentially hazardous cat litter!
And that's your choice, however misguided you may have been when making it.

The problem is that doctors, usually for liability reasons, will be OVER cautious more often then being realistic. The reality of the situation, being that I'm not only an animal quarantine officer (for communicable diseases) employed by a government agency who specializes in exactly these diseases, but that my uncle is also vet who specializes in these diseases, and both agencies have decided exactly what I posted.

BUT, if you're comfortable with your doctors advice, then GO WITH IT. I'm not advising anything different, EXCEPT telling people from a non biased, not liable stand point that unless you live in filth the risk is really very low. You're more likely to sue your doctor for getting toxoplasmosis for him telling you it's safe then sueing some lady you've never met on an internet forum. LOL.

Yes, becareful. Yes, wash your hands. Yes, wear gloves if you can. Yes, if you have someone who will do it for you then take advantage of that. BUT, if you do have to do it yourself and you're careful, NO you aren't going to die or give birth to a radio active baby.

It's about common sense. Doctors fail to tell women to use this while they're "warning" them of the dangers of being pregnant. It's far easier to cover your butt with the blanket statement of "DO NOT CLEAN CAT LITTER" then it is to sit down and interview you on your animals, their eating habits, your cleaning habits, your personal hygine, the type of gloves you wear, etc.

I really hate being lumped into general catagories, and pregnant women are often automatically put there.

Last edited by debating; 11-09-2005 at 02:31 PM.

Old 11-09-2005, 12:33 PM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

baby#2 HB User

I personally don't care what you do for a living or if you think I'm misguided because I choose not to clean a dirty litter full of cat pee and pooh!! This is rediculous. You are so defensive on this subject that I can't help but think you have guilt issues or something regarding this matter. I am going to chalk it up to pregnancy hormones and maybe just plain stubborness and leave it at that!!
Ladies...if you want to clean your cats litter, GO AHEAD! Just because I choose not to doesn't make me a bad person, despite the implications of the above, and oddly snobby posting.
I'm done with this subject, how about you?

Old 11-09-2005, 01:06 PM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

debating HB User

Guilt issues? Possibly. But that's only because people wish to make a huge deal of it when it's not.

Unless a person lives in filth with ferral animals and never washes their hands, then I don't see it being a problem. Anyone who specializes in the disease (such as myself) will tell you the exact same thing.

I'm sorry you don't see it that. Like I said, do what ever you want. As long as you're comfortable with your doctor, then you need not explain yourself to anyone.

I will, however, continue to share my info on the subject since I do have info to offer. It's a free world, you can either choose to take that, or leave it. But I won't argue the technicalities with you when you didn't even know the name of said disease. That's just silly! LOL

Last edited by debating; 11-09-2005 at 02:30 PM.

Old 11-09-2005, 01:14 PM   #14
Senior Veteran
(female)

baby#2 HB User

Holy poop!!! I can't believe you took something as simple as "I choose not to clean the cat's litter" because of the very very small possibility of something happening and made it into this big personal vendetta against you personally????
You were the first one to jump on me... stranger! If you honestly think you are better educated to tell everyone differently than most of the Doctors on this planet, go ahead. If I wish to avoid cat's litter while carrying my little one, that's my choice. All the technical info was helpful and interesting but then you had to throw in the little snotty BS comments that sort of ruined the fact that you actually have something interesting to say regarding this matter.
By the way...why would you even mention such a think on this thread knowing that most of us have been told not to do it??? Looking for a fight were ya? Well, you got it.

Last edited by baby#2; 11-09-2005 at 01:22 PM.

Old 11-09-2005, 02:20 PM   #15
Senior Veteran
(female)

debating HB User

I wish I was as educated as a doctor!!

All I wished to emphasis, was that while there IS a risk (I don't disagree with you there) the FEAR that doctors instill (as opposed to common sense and education) is usually based around liability issues. And why not? With the medical malpractice suits I'd cover my butt too, even though the risk is quite low. No more then eating sandwhich meat, anyway. And hey, if you want to use this as a way to get out cleaning nasty cat litter, I won't hold that against you either. LOL (I do it!! And FYI, I'm "unable" to vacume the stairs because my poor balance.. I might fall. )

And nope, not looking for a fight. Sorry if wires were crossed to make you think that.

I appoglize to the original poster for hyjacking this thread, although hopefully some good will come of it. Asside from what our doctors tell us, we're ultimately the ones responsible for our bodies. If you feel comfortable in your decision, then that's all that matters, right? (I do believe that was my intention in replying to your objection about cat litter in the first place, especially since you didn't seem to know too much about it.)

But alas, the written word is far less personable. No harm, no fowl. We all take what we can get and leave the rest.. that's the beauty of the internet!!

CHEERS!! (And no, I don't drink while pregnant..LOL)

Last edited by debating; 11-09-2005 at 02:50 PM.

Closed Thread