It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pregnancy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-09-2005, 10:40 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

debating HB User
"The list"

I seem to remember a while back there was a list about the "must haves" for when you and baby come home from the hospital. I searched but was unable to find it, so I'm going to start it again.

I'm not so much looking for things that come in handy at a few months old, but rather the essentials for a new born. This is our first baby, and I have the list put out by my best odds book, but am curious what all you folks have.

What were/are your fav must haves? Let's start a new list!

Last edited by debating; 11-09-2005 at 10:41 PM.

Old 11-09-2005, 11:43 PM   #2
(male)

dad_2b HB User
Re: "The list"

We are expecting our 1st and our list has:
Boppy
bottles, brush, and drying rack
bath tub, towels, and washclothes
nursery care kit (medicine dropper, nail clippers, nasal aspirator, etc.)
monitor
cloth diapers for burp clothes
formula dispenser
diaper bag (lg & sm)
pacifiers
misc. lotions, oils
matress pad
lots of DIAPERS
and of course clothes

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-10-2005, 12:54 AM   #3
(female)

petalz HB User

I have a 3 month old and I overbought. What we use the most on a daily basis are diaper shirts,sleepers receiving blankets (you can never have enough of these),hooded towels, soft washcloths,socks/booties, a couple hats and bibs.Kind of figure out how often you'll be able to do laundry to guess on the number of sleepers and undershirts. I live in Canada so I have some warm blankets as well as this fleece thing that goes over baby and carseat. We maybe used a quarter of all her cute outfits. To get more bang for your buck buy things on the bigger size to get more wear. As for baby items I like my safety first diaper pail, a baby bath I got at toysrus that the plug changes colour if the water is to hot, my car seat travel system where the base to the car seat stays in the car,bottle sterilizer with brushes,bottles,etc.if formula feeding or pumping, bouncy chair and swing. I borrowed the swing when my daughter started having colic.It's a real life saver. You'll want finger nail clippers, a baby body wash shampoo combo, vaseline, diaper rash cream, diapers in 2 sizes( trust me, go to the next size before baby is in the top spectrum of what the manufacturer(pampers) says to avoid horrible diaper explosions ,lotion/baby oil, sensitive skin wipes and tissues. I buy tissues in bulk now! Some baby laundry soap for all the laundry as well so you're prepared. It's nice to have an extra crib sheet/cradle sheet if baby throws up and you don't have time to do laundry.

Old 11-10-2005, 03:54 AM   #4
Inactive
(female)

valleygurl HB User

Hi Everyone,

With all the excitement of bringing the new baby home dont forget about mom! Be sure that you have plenty of pads (sanitary napkins) as well as
breast pads! I had forgotten the breast pads once and what a pain it was when i started leaking!

Also, dont forget these must haves for baby:

Alcohol
Cotton Balls (remember these two items for umbilical cord care)
A&D Ointment (or preferred diaper care cream, i prefer the A&D as this is
what most hospitals use)
?Guaze Pads (If you have a circumsized boy, some physicians will
recommend applying a small amount of A&D Ointment on
the tip of the penis and then place a 1x1 or 2x2 guaze pad
over it.)

Waterproof Pads (These are nice for changing as well as placing in the
bassinet or crib to prevent accidents that cause you
to have to change all the bedding)

Hope this helps! I believe the others have covered all the rest!

Good Luck,
ValleyGurl

Old 11-10-2005, 07:33 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

roxyfoxy HB User

Quote:
Waterproof Pads (These are nice for changing as well as placing in the
Glad you mentioned this. I may have a stupid question. I bought a mattress pad for the crib and was wondering does it go under the sheet or over the sheet? ITs supposed to save you time in the middle of the night for changing sheets, but the mattress is waterproof. So, if I put it under the sheet I still have to change the sheets, right?

Can you tell I am new at this?

Old 11-10-2005, 07:42 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

baby#2 HB User

The mattress pad is definitely for under the sheet. The whole purpose of a mattress pad is to protect the mattress, not the sheet. I have a waterproof mattress as well but I still put the pad on and then the fitted sheet. It does save time cause all you have to do if your little one has an explosion is take off both, put on a new fitted sheet and it's nighty-night time again!

Old 11-10-2005, 07:52 AM   #7
(male)

dad_2b HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by baby#2
The mattress pad is definitely for under the sheet. The whole purpose of a mattress pad is to protect the mattress, not the sheet. I have a waterproof mattress as well but I still put the pad on and then the fitted sheet. It does save time cause all you have to do if your little one has an explosion is take off both, put on a new fitted sheet and it's nighty-night time again!
My SIL puts on a pad, sheet, another pad, another sheet.
That way in the middle of the night you save some time. We plan on doing this also.

Old 11-10-2005, 07:58 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

baby#2 HB User

That's a good idea dad 2b! I never though of stacking like that. With our little man we never had that problem luckily. Actually, I don't think we ever needed to change a sheet because of a messy diaper. Knock on wood!
He's only 16 months old now so there is still time........

Old 11-15-2005, 12:34 AM   #9
(female)

petalz HB User

With all the pads does it make the crib to "fluffy"? I'm about to move my daughter into her crib and with all the concern with SIDS would this make it to much bedding?

Old 11-15-2005, 04:14 AM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

friday13 HB User

OK here is a list I got from somewhere - mostly on clothing that is necessary... for the first 6 weeks...

4-7 one piece outfits, onesies, big hole for head, soft fabric - no zippers
4-7 One piece PJ or nightgowns: drawstring bottoms/warm
4-7 Cotton shirts that SNAP at the neck (no onesies till after the cord falls off)
1 sweater or jacket (button down)
1 one piece snow suit or fleece wear
4-7 socks and booties (no shoes necessary)
1-3 caps or bonnets (cover ears in winter/floppy hat in summer)

Diapers (10-12) a day....
4 bibs
10 4 oz. bottles
4 receiving blankets (swaddles)
cloth diapers for spit ups!
1 bathtub (plug for easy draining)
3 boxes of maxi pads/panty liners

things that are "extras"
diaper genie
papsan (infant seat for home) works like a lazy boy recliner (fall asleep FAST in it)!
swing
and nightlight for changingthe diaper without having to turn FULL lights on.

Old 11-15-2005, 05:29 AM   #11
(male)

dad_2b HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by petalz
With all the pads does it make the crib to "fluffy"? I'm about to move my daughter into her crib and with all the concern with SIDS would this make it to much bedding?
Never even thought of that. I guess when we get our crib ready, we will have to test it and see how we feel. May wait until he is older before doing that ourselves.

Old 11-15-2005, 06:32 AM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

OrangeCouture HB User

Two things that I really want to get is a ******* chair. They vibrate, play moazart songs, and have a pay tool bar. Why I would need one is so if I am working in the kitchen I can bring the baby in and set it down, same thing if I need to take a shower, and I bring it in the bathroom when I get ready.

The second thing which may sound silly and I saw it for the first time last night was this pacificer that looked more like bottle nipples, but the two pacifiers came in a clear plastic case. I never really see any plastic cases that are keepable for pacifiers, especially when when throwing them in the diaper bag.

Closed Thread