It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pregnancy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-10-2005, 08:12 AM   #1
(male)

dad_2b HB User
What diapers to use?

My wife and I are expecting our 1st, and it seems that several people we have talked to just cant find a diaper to contain what its supposed to. Our cousins son has a blowout almost everytime he poops.
Is it the diaper, is it the size, could it be how they are put on, or how frequently they are changed, or all the above?
I have this horrible vision of everything being covered in baby poop.

Old 11-10-2005, 08:16 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

OrangeCouture HB User
Re: What diapers to use?

I believe it to be a little of all of the above, depends on what is going on inside that diaper. In the past with my way younger sisters....my mom stayed away from store brand diapers. Usually Luvs was a good one. You have to make sure they get changed frequently, every hour or two depending on what is in the diaper. Also make sure the size of the diaper fots the baby well. If the diaper is too small for the baby, well, maybe that is the problem your cousin is having....who knows?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-10-2005, 08:20 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

baby#2 HB User

It's okay!! With our son we figured it out pretty quickly. We use Huggies baby-shaped and right from birth he was in a step 1. The newborns were a little too small to contain all the "stuff"! I found it shot up the back, sorry if TMI! and to go a little bigger gives more coverage and more room. Also, you have to be really dilligent about the leak barriers. After you put on the diaper, run your finger along the leak barrier around the leg and sort of pull it out a little. It's really hard to explain...maybe before you put the diaper on try loosening the fold. This really saved us! We also tried Pampers but I must admit, the Huggies work the best for us. Good luck and here's hoping there are a minimal amount of explosions!

Old 11-10-2005, 08:27 AM   #4
(female)

Sliminside HB User

I agree Huggies worked best for my son when he was born so i`ll be using them again this time round. No cheap makes for us its just not worth it.

Old 11-10-2005, 08:42 AM   #5

jriegel HB User

check out fuzzi bunz or wonderoos. they are "cloth" diapers. even if you think you might not ever ever want to use them, cloth diapers have totally changed in the past few years and are nothing like a folded towel held on to baby with pins.

at least give them a look and compare them to the disposables... my friend uses them for her baby (5 mos) and i will be using them for mine. she says they are amazing.

Old 11-10-2005, 08:49 AM   #6
Veteran
(female)

chatty8484 HB User

I personally liked Pampers for my daughter, they were the only thing that contained everything lol

chatty

Old 11-10-2005, 08:51 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

roxyfoxy HB User

Quote:
We also tried Pampers but I must admit, the Huggies work the best for us.
This is interesting because a lot of women told me Huggies were best for their boys and Pampers for their girls. That's something to keep in mind. I guess where their leak protection is makes a difference in the genders.

Old 11-10-2005, 09:28 AM   #8
(female)

angie22 HB User

I also tried huggies and pampers, I found that pampers was the best for my son and I intend to use them this time too. It's all of the reasons you named befor that will cause a "leak". First 2 weeks from what I remember all that the baby does is eat poop cry sleep, so just make sure that before you guys will feed the baby will change the diper so the baby wil be confy and really enjoy his milk. You will get used to it belive me, after 2 days you will think you changed dipers your whole life lol

Old 11-10-2005, 11:58 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

baby#2 HB User

Well dad2b, seeing as you are not getting any consistent advice, I guess the only thing you can do is try them until you find one that bests suits your little one! We started off with huggies, went to pampers (someone bought us a package) and went right back to the huggies. As some of the other posters have suggested however, their preferences are completely different. Good luck finding what works best for your family!

Old 11-10-2005, 03:23 PM   #10
(female)

thidagirl22 HB User

I have bought a package of each of the different brands for when my son is born so we can sample each brand to see what we like best. I have a feeling the pamper's swaddlers will work well and they are so soft.

Old 11-10-2005, 05:07 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

Gayle0000 HB User

We have found the poopie blowouts happen more with the Huggies brand. I think you just have to experiment and find a brand that fits your baby's body shape the best. We have been most happy with the house brand from ToysRUs (Parent's Choice is the name), and Pamper's Swaddlers. Pampers is pretty expensive, so we mostly use the other.

We have a girl. Sometimes the poopies shoot out in the middle & to the back, sometimes the poopies shoot up the front...I think it all depends on what position she is sitting, lying, or being held in at the time of the poop.

Don't get too worried over what brand you'll use. Buy or register for different brands. You'll find your favorite.

Old 11-10-2005, 05:53 PM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

roxyfoxy HB User

I'm expected to have a larger than normal baby maybe 9 pounder, so are the newborns okay for the beginning? The reason I ask is because I have different brands of newborns from my baby shower and rather than forking out the money on larger sizes and bigger packs I can try different brands to see what works best for him.

Old 11-10-2005, 10:25 PM   #13
(female)

petalz HB User

Roxy my little one was 6lbs 13 oz and we had her in pampers swaddlers newborn. From our experience with diaper blow outs it is best at least with pampers to go up a size when you baby is within 2 lbs of the manufacturers high weight limit. We switched her to size 1s when she was slightly under 9 lbs. She is 12 lbs now and we have her in pampers swaddlers size 2. I also wouldn't have any more than 2 packs of any size of diaper at home because of how fast the grow. I always have one package of her current size and one of the next size. I made the mistake of having to much of her current size on hand and ended up giving almost full packs to my neighbour.For the dad wondering about diapers we like pampers swaddlers because my daughter has never had a diaper leak from urine.It's kind of amazing the amount of urine it can hold. We only had a problem when we kept her in the high weight spectrum of diapers with the the diaper blow outs. To this day I can't figure out how it gets to her front. Just when we thought we had her diaper sizing and brand right the darling little angel while being changed put her hand in it and spread it all over the place. It's hard to avoid poo with babies. Buy yourself a nice package of lysol wipes , baby oxy stain remover and an easy to use baby bath to hose the angel off in.

Old 11-10-2005, 11:34 PM   #14
(male)

dad_2b HB User

WOW !!! Thanks for all the advice.
I guess we will just try a couple different brands and see what fits him the best. And thanks for the lysol wipes suggestion, hadn't thought of keeping those around, but makes sense.

Thanks again for all the advice, with 8 weeks to go I just have started thinking about different weird things like this.

Old 11-10-2005, 11:48 PM   #15
Senior Veteran
(female)

roxyfoxy HB User

Quote:
Thanks again for all the advice, with 8 weeks to go I just have started thinking about different weird things like this.
That's not too bad, I have 3 days to go before my section and just started thinking of these things. I have always been a procrastinator.

Closed Thread