It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pregnancy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-10-2005, 05:51 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

roxyfoxy HB User
I am getting an epidural and I am FRIGHTENED!

All of you woman who have had the epidural please give me your input. I am having a c-section on Monday and they only thing that is scaring the wits out of me is the spinal! I can't stop thinking about it. When I thought I would have a vaginal delivery, I always said I wouldn't get the epidural. It wasn't for the fact of being anti pain relief, it was the fact that it was stuck in your spine. Now, I have to have a section do to breech presentation and I am just not liking the idea.

Please give me all of your advice and tell me the truth (even though I REALLY don't want to hear it) about what it feels like getting it. Does it stay in the spine for a long time, how big is the needle, does it hurt, burn, itch? I am starting to think and type erratically, so before I go bonkers I'll click "Submit New Thread."

Old 11-10-2005, 06:09 PM   #2
Inactive

Soulcatcher HB User
Re: I am getting an epidural and I am FRIGHTENED!

I will be honest, they make you bend over on the bed and they put a small needle on the side of your spine which you hardly feel, it's like a bee sting but not that bad. Once that's numb then they put in the other needle which you do not feel. The ONLY thing you may feel is a little pressure. With me they hit a nerve (which is VERY rare) and I jumped. I freaked the woman out because you can become paralized. whoops. So all in all it's not that bad.
After the epideral during recovery you will shake alot, it's not uncomfortable you just do. I think the worst part of the whole c-sec is the IV in your arm, the rest is easy compared to that. Healing up after kinda sucks, in the very beginning it's kinda hard to talk, you'll probably whisper. It will suck to get up and move because you never notices how much you use those muscles to get up and stuff. The incision feels like someone touched you with a hot iron, only on the incision. I used those maxi pads that the hospital has that when you bend them they get really cold. I put those on the incision, those were a life saver. Don't let them give you a story about they only have soooo many....that's b.s. You really will be ok. I remember I asked my husband if there was alot of blood coming out, and he said "no....uh eh" He tells me later that he was freaking out about how much blood....nice huh. I'm glad I didn't see it. I do remember everything going on. I remember telling them to turn that country music crap off. hahaha Your aware of everything...you just kinda lay there and wait. You might even get a morphin drip. That was fun!! All mom's should have one of those! hahahaha Good luck, you'll be fine....no horror stories.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-10-2005, 06:12 PM   #3
Inactive

Soulcatcher HB User

Also let me tell you that there are TONS of woman who think "ahhhh I will not have any meds" That all goes out the window once you really feel the labor. You want to feel that but your afraid of the epideral??? hahahahahahahahaha Ask them if you can experience real labor BEFORE you get the epideral. Alot of doctors will let you labor for a while if you want.....come back and post afterwards...you will probably be begging him for it and saying things like "kill me now or give it to me".....Sorry for being brutally honest.

Old 11-10-2005, 06:31 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Valerie_s HB User

Roxy are you having an epidural or a spinal? Cause there is a difference, the epidural they leave a very thing cathedar in your back ( you cant feel) and the spinal is just one shot of meds in your back, eithr way Soulcatcher told you EXACTLY how it is..dont worry its no big deal

Old 11-10-2005, 07:24 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

roxyfoxy HB User

Quote:
Roxy are you having an epidural or a spinal?
Glad you mentioned that, I had no idea it was different. I am getting the spinal.

SoulCatcher-I won't be going to labor as I am having a section at 39wks. I don't mind the honesty, I really wanted the honesty, kinda. LOL

With the spinal what exactly are the meds they use? I know the doctor said one is for numbing me for surgery the other is for the pain right afterwards. I should have asked the doctor more questions, but I get so nercous when I go in there even if I write down the questions, I forget to ask. I guess with a section you get a catheter too right? I don't mind that as I have had one before.

When you get the spinal do they numb the area before administering or is it just a quick shot in the spine?

Old 11-10-2005, 10:08 PM   #6
(female)

petalz HB User

roxy I still love the man who gave me my epidural 3 months ago tomorrow when I was in labour and ended up with a c section.I laboured first and that relief was wonderful. I had the shakes and felt cold near the end of the c section and I remember just shaking. It didn't seem to last long. They hit bone by accident and despite that I'd do it again in a heartbeat. I felt like I was going to throw up on it and they put something in my IV bag for that. I was sitting up and visiting with people on mine. To me it kind of felt like when you get your flu shoot or a needle in your arm. They had this contraption thing that I rested my face on and my husband held my hand. They will just make you sit still. Once it's in it works pretty quick. Honestly what I hated the most was this citric acid junk they make you drink before surgery. The spinal from my knowledge works on a different part of the nerves in your back but the results are just the same. When they deliver your baby you'll feel them tugging a bit but no pain. It is hard moving around to go to the bathroom from a c section. Hopefully your bed will be adjustable and you can adjust yourself in a sitting position and use your arms to pull yourself out of bed. You kind of have to work through being afraid of the pain of getting up and down. I used the pad thing on the incision and it works. Just support it with your hand as well. I didn't have burning from my incision but the itching from the staples drove me nuts. Take care and good luck.

Old 11-11-2005, 10:31 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Valerie_s HB User

The spinal is a better form aof pain control and it has morphine in it, however your legs wake up faster from an epidural than a spinal, yes you will get a catheder thats a given I hate the part, pain wise it feels the same no huge amount of pain, honestly I dont remeber feeling any pain at all, but I was having some major contractions, this baby is a scheduled section and I will have no pitocin or anything so I wont have contrastions so I am afraid Ill feel something this time too, cant be worse than labour pains, lol epidurals/spinal are a god sent

Old 11-11-2005, 04:22 PM   #8
(female)

BabyLuv HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soulcatcher
Also let me tell you that there are TONS of woman who think "ahhhh I will not have any meds" That all goes out the window once you really feel the labor. You want to feel that but your afraid of the epideral??? hahahahahahahahaha Ask them if you can experience real labor BEFORE you get the epideral. Alot of doctors will let you labor for a while if you want.....come back and post afterwards...you will probably be begging him for it and saying things like "kill me now or give it to me".....Sorry for being brutally honest.
Then tell me how I had no epidurals and had four healthy beautiful babies . Not all women need an epidural, we can go natural, we aren't wimps . But, in this case an epideral is a must, a c-section isn't fun. Hang in there it will be alright .

Old 11-12-2005, 02:27 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

dh22 HB User

i had a spinal in jan.. the hardest part is bending over enough to spread out your spine. once they finally did that it didn't hurt. i was so freaked out that i was going to have a baby in a few minutes that i wasn't even thinking about the needle. but trust me the medicince kicks in before the needle is taken out!

Old 11-12-2005, 10:01 AM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

roxyfoxy HB User

Quote:
the medicince kicks in before the needle is taken out!
Finally, some encouraging news!!

Closed Thread