It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pregnancy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-11-2005, 09:57 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

Mommie-2-B HB User
Bones in Chest Popping

Lately when I wake up, my chest feels very tight. When I pull myself out of bed my chest bones pop several times. I can even feel it in my back a little. Is it possibly because of how I'm sleeping? Has anyone experienced this?

Old 11-11-2005, 10:30 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

debating HB User
Re: Bones in Chest Popping

Chest bones? Like your ribs? It's common for the rib heads to go out in pregnancy with the weight of your uterus and breasts pulling on them. Also, sleeping on your side compresses them, and then when you get up in the morning the poping you hear is the air leaving your joints.

I massage mine, or, get my husband to do it (which is WAY more fun.. hehe). You start around where your sternum is, or right between your brests, and gently rub each rib where they meet in the center. I think this feels so good, and it usually makes my chest feel a lot looser.

You may need to ask your doctor about a girtle to take the weight off your upper body. How far along are you?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-11-2005, 10:37 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Mommie-2-B HB User

It's like my upper chest, above my breasts. I guess I never considered that to be apart of my ribs, but it is!! LOL I'm 33 weeks and 2 days.

Old 11-11-2005, 11:21 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

debating HB User

Yup, sure sounds like it. Most likely from the additional weight of your breasts and uterus.

Have you ever tried wearing a "sleeper" bra. I find the REALLY cheap sport bra type with no wire that are a soft cotten to be a good sleeper bra. Helps keep the girls in place when you sleep, especially on your side where they can sorta sag. LOL. I have to wear one now for the same reason as you, otherwise I wake up and my chest hurts (DD's ).

Deffinitly try massaging it. And if you can, do it before you get out of bed. Works wonders for me!

Last edited by debating; 11-11-2005 at 11:22 AM.

Old 11-11-2005, 11:24 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Mommie-2-B HB User

I will try both. I went from a 36D to a 40D. I also normally sleep on my stomach so sleeping on my sides has been killing me. Thank you for your advice!!

Old 11-11-2005, 11:38 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

weepyone HB User

as your baby gets bigger it pushes your organs further up under your ribs and your baby takes up more and more space. to allow for this the further you are in your pregnancy the more your rib cage widens to allow baby to grow could it not be this you are experiencing? also hormones make your bones and joints more subtle could this make your ribs softer and maybe cause pain?

Old 11-11-2005, 11:53 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Mommie-2-B HB User

I really don't feel pain at all. I only notice this after a night's sleep. My chest just feels tight until I hear and feel the popping, then it feels normal again. I don't know why I never thought that pregnancy could effect my chest/ribs in this way!

Last edited by Mommie-2-B; 11-11-2005 at 11:53 AM.

Old 11-11-2005, 01:54 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

friday13 HB User

maybe you need a good upper body adjustment from a chiro who works with pregnant women?

I have the PAIN associated with the rib stuff... ugh... thank your lucky stars you don't have that..... its terrible especially at night.

Old 11-11-2005, 06:25 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

debating HB User

About the chiro.... my FIL is a chiro, and both him and my OBGYN have both said NOT to get adjusted during pregnancy. Absolutely not! Mild manipulation through physio therapy or massage therapy, yes, but a skelatal manipulation? No.

I didn't really go into, but I heard it from two people that I trust very much, so that was enough for me. I've also heard from other pregnant women that once adjusted while pregnant, it actually made them worse. Also, when you go to a chiro, they should NOT adjust you without full x-rays first. Obviously you can't get x-rays while pregnant, so that's a no-no. I have back problems (two herniated disks, curves spine, etc). I LIVED for chiropractic adjustments before being pregnant, but I'm staying away from it now. Your body changes a lot during pregnancy, especially your joints, so it makes sense not to mess with it.

Closed Thread