It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pregnancy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-12-2005, 01:44 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

dh22 HB User
TWINS - Now what? What do I expect?

Okay, I am pregnant with twins. I know the risk of carrying both is moderate but just in case I have questions for those of you how have had or are having twings.

how early do you start to show?

Is the stretching pain more? - it is for me right now

What is the likelyhood of bedrest?

any other tips? i am still in total shock and just don't know how to react.

Old 11-12-2005, 06:06 AM   #2
Veteran
(female)

almonkey HB User
Re: TWINS - Now what? What do I expect?

First let me say Congrats! You have been so blessed! Like every pregnancy twin preg are all different. Ultimately, our bodies are meant to carry 1 at a time so there are risks. I believe the chances of high blood pressure, gestational diabetes, and everything else that has a chance to rear its ugly head during pregnancy has a double chance w/ twins. The key is to just take it easy. There is no need to exercise crazy- just walk and dont let the stress of everday life interfere with your pregnancy. Your only purpose right now should be to grow 2 healthy babies.
I had my twins at 39 weeks but was put out of work at 31 weeks. This was my 3rd pregnacy. I had braxton hicks very early, really didnt show huge until I was 30+weeks, and overall had a perfect pregnancy.I was discharged from the hospital w/in 3 days with my 7'2 & 6'11 identical girls. I am 5'8. My twins will be 1 after Christmas. My friend is 5'2. She carried her twins to 34 weeks and had a perfect pregnancy but her water broke at 34 weeks. She had 2-4lb fraternal boy babies. They had to stay for a week or so in the nicu and because of overcrowding were moved to peds. But are now almost 8 months and doing great!
One of the biggest things is to stay hydrated. DRINK a ton of water. Being dehydrated can cause pre-term labor.
Just keep in mind this is a special pregnancy. I know people that were on bedrest at 20 weeks with 1 baby so just take it easy and take 1 day at a time. Congrats again and good luck! And by the way, I read every twin book out there. I consider myself very laid back and people dont bother me so when people say better you than me...I always agreed. The mother of twins is special. I also realized that no one other than parents of twins know the difference in identical vs fraternal. When they ask about fertility drugs I didnt take it as an insult, I just explained what identical meant...1 egg. I also realized that people really were more curious about how twins got here because they are becoming so popular w/infertility drugs. Whether they are fraternal or identical- either way they are still special and will have a special bond.

Last edited by almonkey; 11-12-2005 at 06:14 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-12-2005, 06:56 PM   #3
Veteran

rach12 HB User

Hey I just wanted to say congrats. Due twins run in your family?? Congrats again--Rach

Old 11-13-2005, 07:40 AM   #4
(female)

pasusan02 HB User

Congratulations! I had my twins at 40w3d (I was induced). I didn't have any bedrest, worked until I was at 36 weeks. I stopped working because of the long commute I had and I could barely fit behind the wheel of my car . My twins were 7lbs 12oz and 8lbs 1oz and were born vaginally. I would recommend drinking lots of water, and eating lots of protein. Some doctors are more cautious with multiple pregnancies, but a lot depends on your physical condition as well. Best of luck to you.

Closed Thread