It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pregnancy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-12-2005, 07:53 AM   #1
(female)

patticakes HB User
When is a safe time to buy stuff for baby?

I was just wondering. I am only 7 weeks. My family dont know yet. I want to tell them when i know everything ok with my first ultrasound dec 2. Plus i was told not to tell family til after 3 months. I am just so excited. i slipped and told a friend whose having a baby one week after me.

Anyway, When are u suppose to buy stuff??. I hear so many things. What to do what not to do? This should come with a book. haha. probably already does.

Sorry this will be my first baby. So i am confused.

Old 11-12-2005, 08:40 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

OrangeCouture HB User
Re: When is a safe time to buy stuff for baby?

You can purchase items whenever you feel like it actually. Some women who fear miscarriage or complications wait until they are in the clear.

Personally, I am going on 19 weeks and I have yet to purchase ANYTHING! The reason for me, is because I am waiting for Tuesday to find out if I am having a boy or a girl because I am not into buying loads of green and yellow stuff.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-12-2005, 09:23 AM   #3
(female)

angie22 HB User

patticakes - firs of all do you want to find out what it is or you want to let it be a surprise? cause if you want to find out it is better to wait until you know if it is a boy or girl and then buy whatever you like( outfits). I find out with both of them because I find it is not fun to go buy the things you need in a mall full of people and different germs with a newborn - don't get me wrong I go for walks with the baby and I go to playgrounds and other places but avoid the mall first 2-3 weeks. But all the other stuff you need for the baby you can buy anytime - best thing is to do a list with the things you will really need and then start buy them when you can. I also find it is easier to spent 50$ today, 20$ next week and every week a bit of money rather than to buy all at once and you feel like you spent a fortune - plus you will always like something so much that you cannot help but buy that thing I love shopping

Old 11-12-2005, 10:03 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

roxyfoxy HB User

I think its best to wait for the baby shower. I know seems like it may be a long wait, but you will most likely get so much stuff you will only need to fill in the spaces. I pretty much got everything at my baby shower and from friends and family along the way. There wasn't much I had to buy. Save your money, you'll need it afterwards.

Old 11-12-2005, 10:13 AM   #5
(male)

dad_2b HB User

Starting about the 3rd month we started buying 1 expensive thing a month. We watched sales and bought a car seat, then the crib, a travel system, play yard. This way we could also look around, get good deals and make sure we got what we wanted. We have 2 months to go and just have some small stuff to get now. (I think)

You will get a lot of stuff at the shower, and if you have family and friends that have hand me downs available you'll probably get some there too.

Last edited by dad_2b; 11-12-2005 at 10:14 AM.

Old 11-15-2005, 12:02 PM   #6
(female)

patticakes HB User

Thank u everyone. People i know wait til there six month. But its a money thing with us. Plus we like to find out what the baby is. That way it be easy instead of yellow and green.

We already have a crib. Cause hubby already had a baby from before. She seven now. But he kept the crib. I cant wait til i can shop. I think we are gonna wait til my first ultrasound to see how far i really am.

Thank you for everything.

Old 11-15-2005, 12:13 PM   #7
Veteran
(female)

ittal HB User

I got everything I knew I'd need together when I was 7 months this time around. I put it all on layaway at Walmart and just have to pay it off when the baby comes. It's not taking up space while I wait. The urge to buy early is overwhelming, but there's absolutely no need for it. If you wait until you actually have a chance of delivering and bringing baby home (32 weeks) then you won't have the urge to nickel and dime yourself into a hundred little things! It will also give you something to do while you anticipate.

A word of advice...You really should temper your shopping. You'll buy so many things that you don't need if you go hog wild. Really evaluate what you're looking at. Go on a few preliminary shopping trips and make a list of everything you want, hold the items and go home and imagine yourself using them. Think of where you'll put them, how you'll store them. Do it a few times, and you'll keep yourself from having buyer's remorse. The diaper genie? Ha. Bought one, never used it. Diaper organized? The diapers always ended up strewn around the house for changes on the fly.

Old 11-15-2005, 02:17 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

weepyone HB User

I started buying bits at about 14 weeks i have loads now. my nursery is almost finished and so i can move my collection of baby things in soon yeh. I hope to buy the furniture in the next few eeks too. i am currently 21 weeks.

Old 11-15-2005, 02:34 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

Mommie-2-B HB User

Do you think you can wait until Christmas to tell your family? I know someone who wrapped up the u/s to surprise her parents with. It was the last present of the night so it was perfect! I don't know if I could wait that long!!

I haven't bought a single thing for my baby yet and I'm almost 34 weeks. I am waiting until after the shower to see what I don't get. Most of the "expensive" items have been bought already!! YAY!!

Old 11-15-2005, 02:58 PM   #10

pgta5 HB User

I agree with waiting until after the shower! It is definately hard but so worth it. We also got so many things from our shower. Also, I had many friends who already had babies who let us borrow the things you use only for a short time (swing, bouncy chair, super-saucer, extra car seats, basinette, etc). I'm not a garage sale hunter but my mom was going to be watching DS and we didn't want to lug things back and forth. A friend found a brand new high chair and monitor for less that $15 for both!

I did buy a few things like babies outfit to come home, decorative things like curtains, lamp, etc. If you register for a baby registry they will also usually give you a discount for purchases that you make after the shower which works out really well!

I will wait until I am at least 6 months along, just to be safe. For me it would be devastating to have all of those things and no baby to share them with.

Old 11-15-2005, 03:20 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

OrangeCouture HB User

I just turned 5 months and found out we are having a girl and so far I have bought a diaper bag that is very nice and it matches me, it is not babyish. Now that we are having a girl, I plan on buying the bedding that I found. I was waiting for this because I am not into buying a bunch of green and yellow. I now can go get her bedroom set that is for a girl. Gor the most part I am waiting for the baby shower which won't be until March and she is due in April.

Old 11-15-2005, 03:23 PM   #12
(female)

angie22 HB User

I don't know where you guys are from but here in Alberta the government gives to every resident $400 in January(only this year, they got too many money from taxes and they are giving a procent back to the people, another procent to the healthcare, another procent to the city . . . ) anyway, I was telling you about those money - my dh gives me all those money for the baby and I already have some things left from my son so I will get the thing i need in January bc i think the boxing day isn't a real sale thing. The stores are getting their prices up now for the christmas and on boxing day they are putting everything on "sale" , but the true sale is just after new year when almost everybody gor their shopping done. Anyway I have enough time to get everything done after I go in maternity leave- end of dec- and when I get home I need something to doo to not get bored . Not too worried for now - I think I will be fine.

Old 11-15-2005, 03:32 PM   #13
(female)

angie22 HB User

Congratulations to OrangeCouture for the baby-girl, mine is a baby-girl too and I have a picture with her sucking her thumb lol. Really excited to see if she looks more like my dh or more like me. My ds looks exacly like my dh, the only thing that is mine are his eyes.

Old 11-15-2005, 03:43 PM   #14
Senior Veteran
(female)

OrangeCouture HB User

This is my first so I am anxious to see what a baby of ours looks like.....today she did have her legs crosses and her arms behind her head like she is laying back and relaxing. Congrats on your girl!

Old 11-15-2005, 04:49 PM   #15
(female)

waiting4baby05 HB User

I honeslty did not start to buy stuff until I was at least 28 weeks because the babies born then have a good chance of surviving. I am very pessimistic so that is just be and I am going on 35 weeks now. Although at my 20 week u/s when I found out I was having a boy I could not resist going out and getting something blue. Buy whenever you feel like it but maybe wait until you have heard the heart beat on the doppler just to ease some of your worries.

Closed Thread