It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pregnancy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-13-2005, 09:40 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

roxyfoxy HB User
Caring for yourself after a section.

Well ladies, tomorrow is the big day! I will be welcoming my baby boy into the world around 12:30pm. I am very calm and relaxed right now, which is odd. I usually panic before a "big day."

I've recently posted questions about what to expect during the section, but now I want to know how to better care for myself to help progress the healing process. This isn't a question to rid myself of the scar that will be left behind, I know that is far fetched, but any ways to minimize it? I assume as with most cuts it will itch and burn to an extent. Can I use anything over the counter to help ease this discomfort? Would polysporin do any good or is this just too big of a cut for that? It says on the tube not to use in large areas. I've never had a section so don't know exactly how large the cut is.

How about the stomach pains? Is movement the best option? I was told by one c-section mother that the faster you move around the faster you heal, is this true? Oh, and is it true that I won't be able to hold the baby afterwards?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-13-2005, 09:57 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

roxyfoxy HB User
Re: Caring for yourself after a section.

Another thing, were you able to breastfeed right after surgery? Was it difficult?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-13-2005, 10:04 AM   #3
(female)

the brady bunch HB User

First off, congrats. I had my third c-section 2 weeks ago. Yes you will be able to hold the baby , but I was unable to hold my son until after I was out of recovery and back in my regular room. my scar is pretty long, but like I said I had 2 previous sections before this one. I was up and moving later that evening, but let me tell you it was very painful. Don't do more than your body tells you to do, that is my best advice. Well good luck, and again congrats!!

Old 11-13-2005, 10:28 AM   #4
Inactive
(female)

valleygurl HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by roxyfoxy
Well ladies, tomorrow is the big day! I will be welcoming my baby boy into the world around 12:30pm. I am very calm and relaxed right now, which is odd. I usually panic before a "big day."

I've recently posted questions about what to expect during the section, but now I want to know how to better care for myself to help progress the healing process. This isn't a question to rid myself of the scar that will be left behind, I know that is far fetched, but any ways to minimize it? I assume as with most cuts it will itch and burn to an extent. Can I use anything over the counter to help ease this discomfort? Would polysporin do any good or is this just too big of a cut for that? It says on the tube not to use in large areas. I've never had a section so don't know exactly how large the cut is.

How about the stomach pains? Is movement the best option? I was told by one c-section mother that the faster you move around the faster you heal, is this true? Oh, and is it true that I won't be able to hold the baby afterwards?
Hi There, As far as the length of the incision it will be approx. 5 to 7 inches (could vary as each physician has their own techniques) at first and then of course as it heals will most likely shrink a bit in length.

I would most definately ask your doctor about putting anything on it as far as itching and burning as most doctors dont recommend putting anything on the incision during the healing process. It is best just to be sure and keep it clean and dry. After it heals i would definately recommend using Mederma to minimize the appearance of the scar.

Yes, getting up and moving around will help you to not only heal but to also make you feel better. Once you have the C-Section you will have a period of time that the hospital will want you to stay in bed (each physicians protocols for their post-op pt's are different) the nurses will tell you how long as well as they will tell you when they want you to get up and walk. The nurses will assist you with getting out of bed and helping you to walk. Considering the size and the location of the incision when you get up to walk the first few days it may be helpful as well as more comfortable for you to hold a pillow firmly in front of you over the site of the incision. Using the pillow in the same manor while you are in bed should you have to cough or sneeze can be helpful as well.

You can hold your baby as well as breast feed after the C-Section, you just may have to modify the way you would normally hold your baby to minimize the discomfort from the weight of your baby on your abdomen. The nurses at the hospital will help you as well as show you some helpful tips.

Congratulations on your new little bundle of joy!
Good Luck,
ValleyGurl

Old 11-13-2005, 11:13 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

friday13 HB User

RoxyFoxy: I too am having a section in February. I got a book called The essential guide to C-sections. I got it at my local national chain book store. Maybe you have time today to run out and get it?

you can read it in a few hours - or before you go to bed tonight to better prepare you as well! I loved the book and still read thru it - although I read it in a few hours the first day I got it... its small and easy to read.

Good Luck and congrats!!

Friday

Old 11-13-2005, 11:42 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

roxyfoxy HB User

Thanks, Friday. I am not feeling too good today as I caught a head cold a couple days ago. But, I am anxious to do something to help time fly. Maybe that's what I will do today. I'm sure I can find the book at my local book store.

Valleygurl, thanks for the info. I am always rushing myself, so this time I will try to take it easy and (gulp) follow doctor's orders. I just want to be up and moving ASAP. My mom is coming up the Saturday after and I want to enjoy my time with her. I know I will need her help, so her timing is perfect.

It sucks not having my mom there right after as I will need her help breastfeeding and with the baby's care. She really wanted to help me with this too. Maybe we can do phone descriptions to help get through it. My MIL will be there to help me, so I'll take it, we just can't communicate due to language barrier. Lots of translation needed, that's for sure.

Old 11-13-2005, 03:30 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

friday13 HB User

RoxyFoxy -

One piece of advice that I keep reading (books etc.) is that you should stay as long as they let you - in the hospital. I know its really hard to do. And you have to fight every feeling you have to want to leave and get home. The reason for this - is that you won't rest as much at home as you do in the hospital. It's hard to believe I know - because you are always getting interrupted (sleeping) at the hospital etc. and you think you will rest better at home in your own bed - well this just isn't true. (from what I have read).

My friend just had a section - and she didn't listen to me - was up walking around looking GREAT and left the hospital in two days. She called me crying and said it was stupid - she wished she had stayed and didn't realize how difficult it was going to be. I say - take the help in the hospital for as long as you can and then when they kick you out - you will be in much better condition than if you had left early.

That is it - and that is the advice I am going to take FOR SURE! hee hee!! If I only take one piece of advice it will be to stay as long as I can in the hospital and fight myself for wanting to go home! hee hee!!

Good Luck and can't wait to hear about your story!!
Friday
XXOO

Closed Thread