It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pregnancy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-13-2005, 08:17 PM   #1
Veteran
(female)

Sherbet HB User
My midwife is nuts!!!

I don't know about you but I've had such trouble with midwives... my first midwife told me that I would need to be induced on a day to suit her because she was going on holiday and coupled with the fact that she could never remember my name, I decided to turn her loose on another poor soul!

My new midwife is from another planet!!!! I asked her three questions at our last visit...
1) I'm asthmatic, can I use the etonox gas during labour?
2) How do I go about hiring the TENS machine for pain relief?
3) I'm getting heart palpatations, is this normal?

So, she couldn't answer any of these questions and told me she would have to phone the hospital to find out. SHE PICKS UP MY TV REMOTE CONTROL AND STARTS DIALLING!!!!! I waited for a moment to see if she was actually serious and when she put it to her ear, I asked her if she wanted to use my phone... I gave her my phone and she handed it back to me to dial for her because she didn't know how to use it... WEIRD, she knows how to dial out on a TV remote!!!!

I've lost complete faith in her abilities and am starting to question whether she is actually qualified!!!! She cannot answer any of my questions and I'm left feeling like I'm a high maintenance pregnant woman... She believes my baby is head down but she also believes my remote control is a telephone... I feel like I want a second opinion because I'm concerned my baby is not head down and I'm 36 weeks...

What do you all think? Am I being silly about this?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-13-2005, 08:40 PM   #2
(female)

barbicus HB User
Re: My midwife is nuts!!!

Hello? What's wrong with you? You think you can belittle people who have actually been trained to contact others via a television remote, simply because you haven't been trained to do so? If she is capable of feats like this- there's no telling what she may get out of your vagina! You should let her have her way with you, who knows, you make awake to hold your newborn in an interstellar spaceship on it's way to a planet that has midwives capable of answering simple questions.

Seriously- you are not overreacting- you should get a second opinion- you are 36 wks- don't you want to be sure that the head is down?? I'm sooo sorry that you have had such bad luck with these weirdo midwives- anyway...
Keep us updated- and thanks for the laugh- even though it's not something to be taken lightly- but the t.v. remote?? That was funny!!!!
barbicus

Old 11-13-2005, 09:08 PM   #3
Veteran
(female)

Sherbet HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by barbicus
Hello? What's wrong with you? You think you can belittle people who have actually been trained to contact others via a television remote, simply because you haven't been trained to do so? If she is capable of feats like this- there's no telling what she may get out of your vagina! You should let her have her way with you, who knows, you make awake to hold your newborn in an interstellar spaceship on it's way to a planet that has midwives capable of answering simple questions.barbicus
Hahahahahahaaaaaa..... that's made my day, I think I needed a good belly laugh over this!!!! Thanks barbicus

Last edited by Sherbet; 11-13-2005 at 09:10 PM.

Old 11-13-2005, 09:24 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

nyxin HB Usernyxin HB Usernyxin HB User

ok...let me just say WOW!!! usually these threads are to the point...medical stuff... all very friendly and heartfelt. but this thread made me almost fall out of my chair!!! first of all, YES please call someone else. that to me demonstrated that there may be a serious dark spot in the common sense region in her brain. and 2, how in the heck did you handle not loosing it right then and there? i am sure that there are several womens clinics that would be happy to check you out given your sudden fear of your midwife's ability to distinguish phones from lord knows what.

i hope you know that i do realize that this is a serious issue-- you just write so well, i could see the look on you face! <--- like that right!
C-Section Aug 1st 08 with baby BOY #3
OMG!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 11-14-2005, 04:17 AM   #5
(male)

dad_2b HB User

Its funny and sad at the same time.
I would RUN away, far, far, away.
God knows what she would take the babys temperature with.

Old 11-14-2005, 06:18 AM   #6
(female)

rounsy222 HB User

Thanks I need a laught today......
Not only would I get a second opinion I would get a new mid-wife. Do you really trust her now? I would only allow someone who I honestly trust to be at such a wonderful and serious event. You never know what will happen and she doesnt sound like shes got all her ducks in a row.
Meg

Old 11-14-2005, 06:22 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

dh22 HB User

I don't know you might want to consider some other choices here. you are running out of time.. and you don't want a stranger helping you... if that was the case you could have juat had a dr. do it all.. sheesh! that woman has issues....

Old 11-14-2005, 07:58 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

OrangeCouture HB User

WOW!

Go get a third opinion or midwife/doctor and hopefully this one id educated. I cannot believe someone would actually pick up a TV remote and dial....?!?!?! Do these midwifes come to your house for your check-ups?

Old 11-14-2005, 09:19 AM   #9

jriegel HB User

oh honey, you need to find someone else ASAP. try looking for a midwife via a nurse midwife's association (i think you're in the UK? in the states they have an american association of nurse midwives).

do some research and see what you can find but do NOT stick with her. was she high?? it sounds like it.... you poor thing. i would be WAY stressed out if i were in your shoes.

Old 11-14-2005, 09:57 AM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

OrangeCouture HB User

You never know if she was on drugs or not. I have been hearing on talk radio in California about a kindergarten teacher who was high on meth screaming at the kids and going nuts.....

Old 11-14-2005, 10:18 AM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

weepyone HB User

if you are in the uk i would call your midwifes manager and ask for a swap and perhaps if you have a good gp mention it to him/her. The story did make me laugh but i am not surprised my midwife is horrid to rshes me out the room it is as if mine has seen that many pg women she doesn't have time for them anymore!! Hope things work out well luckily she won't be the one to delivery you if she is your community midwife she won't deliver on the wards phew!

Old 11-14-2005, 01:44 PM   #12
Veteran
(female)

Sherbet HB User

So here's the story...

I'm from Wellington, New Zealand and we have a dire shortage of midwives. Some women don't even have a midwife and have to go to their GP for check ups. After my first weirdo midwife I put my name down for another midwife (out of the frying pan into the fire...) it took two months to get a new one. The nutter midwife is in her fifties (I think) she will look after me pre and post natally but may not deliver my baby (phew) I will have a stranger delivering my baby but after dealing with this woman, I think that's not a bad thing!!!! But... she is a ward midwife and if she is rostered on she may be involved.

Over previous appointments she has not been able to discern whether her doppler is picking up baby's heartbeat or my placenta... she has to go by using her watch... Makes me wonder how long she's been doing this job! I also asked her about Strep B testing... she said some midwifes do it and some don't... I said "So should I assume that you don't?" she then opened up her breifcase and gave me a swab stick and told me to do it myself and drop it down to the medlab for testing....

I've been told that a midwife who had serious negligence with delivering a home birth baby is now working at that hospital but name suppression is in place... I'm scared its her!!! The negligence was not detecting that a baby was frank breech and she had the mother try to deliver for days vaginally. Baby died. I might make an appointment with my GP and see what she thinks I should do.

I'm glad my thread has offered some comic relief....

PS. yes she comes to my home which was one of the reasons why I decided to go with her. She is an independant midwife so has no manager, i would say she answers to a midwifery assn tho.

Closed Thread