It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pregnancy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-14-2005, 02:29 PM   #1
(female)

rounsy222 HB User
Honest feelings about epiderals

Hello all
I was wondering if anyone had any feed back on past epiderals they have had or heard about.
I am thinking about having one though have not decided. I had one child ten years ago with no pain relief and though I didnt really even think about drugs back then, I have been now. I dont know if its because almost everyone gets one and doctors just assume you would like one or what but im just trying to get all the info I can whether it be bad or good. I have heard somethings but would like to hear it from the horses mouth I guess. I also heard after the epideral that you cant get up for awhile. Is this true? I remember with my daughter it was awesome while they were cleaning her up and taking care of her my hospital offered a whirlpool bath and it was the best thing in the world. I would just think that it would be kinda wierd not being able to get up if you wanted to. Anyone regret getting one?
Meg

Old 11-14-2005, 02:51 PM   #2
(female)

angie22 HB User
Re: Honest feelings about epiderals

Hey Meg, I don't know how abot you but I honestly felt sooooo good after delivering my first one with no epidural, I actually got off the delivering bed by myself and had been able to walk to my bed without any help. The second day, only my ugly hemoroid hurt worst then the episiotomy -yackies- . Other than that even the pain I think is not bad until I hit transition but that is too late for an epidural -right? Looking at the risks of having the epidural I rather have the pain
Well in the end I don't judge the ladies who love the epidurals, any of us have the right to have the birth they want

Last edited by angie22; 11-14-2005 at 02:53 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-14-2005, 05:16 PM   #3
Senior Veteran

laurabelle1317 HB User

Waht are the risks of an epidural? I haven't researched this or much for my birth plan yet. I plan to do that here in about a month. I am thinking I don't want an epidural. But I also don't know a lot about it yet.

Old 11-14-2005, 05:48 PM   #4
Veteran
(female)

almonkey HB User

I had natural with the 1st, a epideral that only took on 1 leg on the second, and a full epideral with the twins- vaginal delivery. I told them that I wanted them to back off the medicine so I could feel to push. I can tell you after intense pain from pitocin it was a relief. As long as you are completely numb you can push. I say try it without. If you make it you will love the endorphin rush. If not, you wont be sorry.

Old 11-14-2005, 10:56 PM   #5
Veteran
(female)

ittal HB User

I had them with both of mine. With the first one, it was medical necessity - I either took the epidural and gave it a shot vaginally that way, or they put me under general and cut her out!

With my second, I requested it, and it sped labor along. After about 30 minutes of it being removed I was able to walk on my on, albeit a bit shakily. But I felt wonderful! It made everything progress and I wasn't in such agonizing pain.

I'll probably end up having another one if I'm induced. Hopefully, if I go naturally, labor will be quick enough that I don't need one. Keeping my fingers crossed.

As far as the possible side effects - there's area tenderness, hours to months, person to person. Excessive bleeding. Area infection. Allergic reaction. Drop in blood pressure. The same side effects you can expect from IV anasthetic. There are extremely uncommon ones though - spinal cord infection (.01% chance) and paralysis (<.01% chance). Both are serious, but almost never happen.

Last edited by ittal; 11-14-2005 at 10:57 PM.

Old 11-15-2005, 07:57 AM   #6
(female)

Sliminside HB User

I`m due my second baby tomorrow and i had an epidural with my first and i will be asking for one this time to as it worked so well with my first, after i was taken to the ward i slept for about 4 hours and then got up and walked fine on my own.

Old 11-15-2005, 10:27 AM   #7
(female)

BNGIRL HB User

I got an epidural with my first. I went in not wanting one, but then... they gave me pitocin and that changed everything. I was barely dilated and had horrible labor pains. So I called for the pain relief, and boy was I happy!! When they first wanted me to push, I couldn't feel much, so they had to let it wear off a little, but I didn't mind. I could feel my legs the whole time, but it felt like they weighed about 400 lbs. each!! I was up and moving about an hour or two after she was born. I say that it is up to each individual, but I probably will have it again with this one.

Old 11-15-2005, 11:13 AM   #8
Veteran
(female)

ittal HB User

You can ask them to stop it once you start pushing. They wouldn't do it the first time (because I was a candidate for a section) but they did the second time. By the time I was finished it was just a slight blur of pain - the same feeling as demerol gave. 30 minutes later I could walk.

I say take the drugs! What good is modern medicine if we don't use it?

Old 11-15-2005, 01:49 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

BarbaraH HB UserBarbaraH HB UserBarbaraH HB UserBarbaraH HB User

Epidural? I think it's God's gift to laboring women!! Better living through chemistry!!

Barbara

Old 11-15-2005, 01:59 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

lex jude HB User

You know, it is really up to you, because in the end, you know yourself better then anyone else. BUT I went in thinking I was going to get an epidural, No....I was DEPENDING on it. But labor went so fast for me, plus they gave me a med to help speed it up even MORE....and I tell you I was begging for that epidural. ONLY they were having a c-section next door...and informed me they wouldn't have time. I had to do it without! I freaked out at first, but then a nurse calmed me down, and I put my mind to it. I made a vow once that I would never yell anything embarassing during labor...and I didn't! And honestly, I am happy I did it without pain meds. It was a rush...It hurt...but afterwards, I was like..WOW. The contractions were SO painful, but I put my mind to it and I got through it. And honestly, I am glad. The even had to cut me, and that hurt, but....when it was all done and over with, I was able to get up a half hour afterwards and go to the room with my baby, with no fuss. A few hours later I was up and out walking around, no back problems, no nothing. And seeing my little boy in my arms made all of the pain worth it.

So it's up to you. If you go in there and want it, then ok. People shouldn't make otehr women feel bad for wanting some relief, because it sucks. But there are risks....and I think, hey, if I can get through it, why even bother? Plus, my DS was concieved under some "miracle" circumstances, so I don't take "it's only blah blah blah percent chance of happening" very seriously anymore...because alex is part of that just being concieved (I was on the pill and using spermecide...and yet here he is!)

Anyways, there are other alternatives to pain besides the epidural. Talk to your doc about it!

Last edited by lex jude; 11-15-2005 at 02:01 PM.

Old 11-16-2005, 12:44 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

baby#2 HB User

I had the epidural with my first because I was induced and needed my water broken to get things going. My ds didn't want to come out! I was almost 2 weeks late so I didn't really have a choice. I needed the epidural so badly because I was barely dialated and in full blown active labour. I don't regret having it for a second!! I told the anesthesiologist that I loved her. I remember being in so much pain I though I was dying and then feeling total and complete relief. I just layed there on the bed with my eyes closed and my arms spread across the bed basking in the instant relief. Wow, I can still remember that feeling, I swear my life was saved at that moment!
With this one I hope to go into labour naturally and go all the way with no pain relief at all. Ya, okay, like that's going to happen!?! I have no pain threshold what so ever. I still plan to give it a try! If however I need to be induced again or get to the point of death again...I WILL have the epidural again...no question.

Old 11-16-2005, 01:14 PM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

Mommie-2-B HB User

I had an epidural 7 years ago and I delivered via c-section. When they inserted it into my back, I jumped and straightened my back which is a BIG no no. I couldn't help it, I think they hit a nerve or something. I'm really terrified to do it again even though I survived it last time. I really could have hurt myself by jumping like that. Because I'm having a c-section again, I'll be experiencing it all over again. I wasn't able to get out of bed for at least a day (if my memory serves me right) and I'm not sure if that was because of the c-section or the epidural. I do remember being in a lot of pain the following day after coming off of the medication. It may have been the morphine drip....

Old 11-16-2005, 02:05 PM   #13
(female)

cark HB User

Ive had 4 epidurals.. 3 babies and one knee surgery.. they have never worked correctly for me. I will either get NO relief or a partial .. IE one leg and hip numbed. I got the headache only once.
YET Im gonna deliver any day now and am going to try it again! LOL!

Closed Thread