It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pregnancy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-16-2005, 07:44 PM   #1
Veteran
(female)

Live-Life-to-Love HB User
HIGH Blood Pressure AFTER birth of baby not during.

was fine throughout my last pregnancy. Then at my 6 week post-op check-up (I had a c-section), I was told I have mild hypertension. I didn't have it during any of my visits to my OB in 9 months and checking often!

Then for the next year after that visit, every doctor I visited said the same thing.

Why did it start suddenly and didn't come on while I was pregnant if I was truly someone who was a candidate for HBP?

I've been on Benicar for 3 years now, and I often wonder if my HBP was hormonally induced. Does this make sense?

Last edited by moderator2; 12-16-2005 at 07:51 PM. Reason: please follow your question here - do not cross post the boards

Old 12-17-2005, 02:48 PM   #2
Inactive
(female)

Valo99 HB User
Re: HIGH Blood Pressure AFTER birth of baby not during.

I had the same problem after my c-section. I remember going in for a follow up and my BP was 160/110!! I was on Benicar for a year, but then my BP got too low on the medication. Now I am fairly normal.

I never got an answer from my doc why this happened.. she just shugged and says it happens sometimes.

I am a little concerned since I am having another c-section next year but at least time I am prepared for it.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-17-2005, 08:08 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Valerie_s HB User

Im sure it doesnt have anything to do with c-sections, however it is known to happen, through prenancy BP tends to run lower than normal thats is why it is such a crisis or a red flag when its running higher, hope it all works out for you

Old 12-20-2005, 02:51 PM   #4
(female)

Border3899 HB User

Funny you should mention this. I delivered my baby on December 15th....all through my pregnancy and prior to my blood pressure ran about 110 over 60. After delivery which was vaginal my blood pressure has been running 130 to 145 over 90 to 95, i asked the doctor before being discharged what i should keep an eye out for because my bp has been high since i delivered and she said it's rare but occasionally women will develop Pre-eclampsia after delivery so i should watch out for all the sypmtoms of that and i have to have my doctor check my blood pressure at my son's visits for the next few weeks and if it hasnt come down then they will figure out how to treat it.

Old 12-20-2005, 05:39 PM   #5
Veteran
(female)

But why would it happen AFTER pregnancy and not during when you are more likely to get it (if you are indeed a candidate for it) in the first place. Like I got gestational diabities during my pregnancy because I have diabeties in the family and as soon as I gave birth it was gone.

Strange.

Old 12-20-2005, 06:39 PM   #6
(female)

KellyDL HB User

I too had a case of post partum pre-eclampsia. They did know it while I was pregnant because I requested a 24 hr. urine check and there was protein found. My blood pressure didn't go up until 1 week after giving birth. I've been on blood pressure medicine ever since. I never had high blood pressure before in my life.

Last edited by KellyDL; 12-20-2005 at 06:40 PM.

Old 12-20-2005, 07:07 PM   #7
Veteran
(female)

Oh my! So why did this happen to us? I never did / still do not feel comfortable taking blood pressure medication and can't understand why this happened to me. If I was truly a HBP person it should have come out during my pregnancy.

I want to get off the medication (going on three years now) but am afraid. I have alot of stress in my life and maybe it's best that I am on it, but I am not sure.

I cut my dosage in 1/2 because I was getting really tired all the time. So I have to assume, since I am not tired all the time (well not so much), then I really do need the HBP medication afterall.

I am also an anxious person, so could this be causing the HBP? I am all confused. My doctor doesn't help. It's all black and white, if the number are high, you need it - period. They don't look for the cause. I just feel I am too young to be taking something like this for the rest of my life...because it isn't going to get better (my health as I age) I assume.

Old 12-21-2005, 07:37 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

friday13 HB User

Hi - I was put on hb meds during my mid 20's weeks of pregnancy I am now around week 31 and my bp has been about 120/80 while on the meds at the doctors office. I also purchased a digital blood pressure monitor that stores the readings and gives an average read out as well - just to track BP at home.

I was an athlete and always had low bp before. I thought i was getting hbp from stress and being anxious. I had a lot going on at the time when I developed this problem with the blood pressure.

Since you said you are an anxious person - could you ask a family practicitioner or a therapist to see if you possibly need anti anxiety meds and if so, could having anxiety raise your blood pressure?

XXOO let us know what happens.
Friday

Old 12-21-2005, 07:00 PM   #9
Veteran
(female)

I already take Xanax as needed for anxiety. I don't want to be on it all the time, and I don't want an antidepressant.

There's no way out for me.

My little one is finally in school semi-full time so I'm joining a gym. Maybe that will help with my emotional and physical issues and then I can get off all medication.

Thanks for the posts!

Closed Thread