It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pregnancy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-17-2005, 11:06 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

debating HB User
Why wouldn't you breast feed?

People keep asking me if I'm going to breast feed. Excuse me if this sounds ignorant, but, why wouldn't I? LOL

I can understand not being able to for physical reasons. My mom tried with all three of us (me and my two sisters) and it just wasn't happening. I can also understand if you are immediately going back to work or something, but the premise of everyones questions seems to be based "saving" my boobs.

I just never thought that there would be women out there who'd forgo that opportunity/experience for vanity reasons.

Please fill me in on the other reasons why a person may choose not to breast feed. I feel really ignorant for not knowing enough of the "pros" to bottle feeding.

Old 12-17-2005, 11:33 AM   #2
(female)

Mommyof3under4 HB User
Re: Why wouldn't you breast feed?

I Chose Not To Bf My Children, Not For Any Particular Reason, I Just Didn't. I Can Remember A Friend Of Mine Telling Me That She Had To Wake Her Ds Up At Night To Feed, Because Her Boobs Would Get Really Sore. I Am Glad I Never Had To Go Through That, Because 2 Of My Children Slept Through The Night From Birth On, So We Never Had Night Feedings. I Just Wanted To Bottle Feed.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-17-2005, 12:05 PM   #3
Senior Veteran

skeetersquirt HB User

Believe it or not there are some women out there that will NOT BF for vanity reasons, my best friend being one of them. Now, even though I do not agree, I don't judge her. To each their own.

BUT, she did say that she did not want someone seeing her doing this and she finds it sick when she sees a women out in public BF, even if the woman is covered.

My opinion is I could care less what people think about me while I am feeding my baby and if they don't like it, stop looking. My giving my baby the best is FAR more important then someone seeing my breast.....

I must say too that I am not against bottle feeding in any way...I just want to give my baby breast milk whether from breast or bottle. There are a lot of advantages to both bottle feeding and breast feeding. Most of the benefits to Bottle feeding are the freedom, not having to nurse in the night, being able to let DH feed baby with formula and bottle while I sleep. Letting family feed baby and feel involved, etc . It is completly up to you.

I plan on strictly breastfeed for 6 months.

Old 12-17-2005, 01:19 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

MommaBee HB User

I very much wanted to breast feed my kids, but after my having my first son, I had to return to work after 6 weeks and it was a lot of effort to pump enough breast milk to feed him through the day. Sitting there with this machine attached to my boobs just wasn't a pleasant thing. So I quit. I decided that breast feeding my second son wasn't something that I wanted to do. I didn't like having him attached to me all the time.
I agree that if you feel the need to BF, the more power to you. Not every woman can make enough milk or finds it the wonderful experience that some women do. It is a very personal choice. I am respectful about their choice.

Old 12-17-2005, 02:30 PM   #5
(female)

LadyLaine HB User

[QUOTE=skeetersquirt]Believe it or not there are some women out there that will NOT BF for vanity reasons, my best friend being one of them. Now, even though I do not agree, I don't judge her. To each their own.

BUT, she did say that she did not want someone seeing her doing this and she finds it sick when she sees a women out in public BF, even if the woman is covered.

My opinion is I could care less what people think about me while I am feeding my baby and if they don't like it, stop looking [Quote].

I totaly agree. My friend has a three month old and when the babies hungry she feeds her where ever she is. She just puts a blanket over her so no one can see anything. Shame on people for thinking something as natural as breastfeeding is gross. It's not like they can see anything. No one says "Oh that's disgusting why's she doing that in public" when someone bottlefeeds a child. It's the same thing.

I don't really understand why someone wouldn't breastfeed for vanity reasons, it doesn't do anything to disform your boobs.Breastfeeding actually helps you return to you're prepregnancy body faster.

I was really disapointed that I couldn't breastfeed longer with my first. I did it for eight weeks, but still had the rest of the school year to finish and there is no place or time to pump there. I was doing really well with it too.
This time I am a stay at home mom so I plan on bf for the first year.

Lainie
edd 5/10/06
dd 1/19/03

Last edited by LadyLaine; 12-17-2005 at 02:41 PM.

Old 12-17-2005, 02:59 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

debating HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mommyof3under4
I Chose Not To Bf My Children, Not For Any Particular Reason, I Just Didn't.
See.. that's the kinda thing I just don't get. I've looked at both sides of the coin, and I can see the "benefits" to both, but being that I'm a stay at home, don't have to pump (unless I want too), I just can't see any reason not too.

I've spoken to a few women who said they didn't want to "just because". I don't get it. I'm not trying to be confrontational, but what were the benefits that you found that led to that decision? What was it about breast feeding that made you choose not to do it?

Old 12-17-2005, 03:31 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

weepyone HB User

in the uk midwives and doctors reallly promote breast feeding to the point you fear being unable to do so in case you are seen as a failure the phrase "breast is best" is used as this is obviously very true. I plan to breast feed but also hear women say they won't b/f as they want dh to feed the baby too, well so do i hence i brought a breast pump doh! i think a lot of women either don't want the hassle or to even try for vanity too. I would rather give my baby a head start by b/f and will be disapointed if i can't b/f so i have already ordered a couple of books to help me understand how to cope and b/f well. You here women say you are pg for 9 months you can prepare for a drug free labour well i think you do better than that for your child if you b/f, besides which i hate the smell of formula yuck!!!

Old 12-17-2005, 03:33 PM   #8
Veteran
(female)

Spanish HB User

My baby is now 4 1/2 months and I'm still exclusively breastfeeding so I think it's clear what my personal feelings are on this. But I can understand that some women just don't like the idea of breastfeeding - I mean if you think too hard about it, it is a wierd thought that you have this little 'parasite' clamped on to your breasts and sucking you dry. I can understand it because I had similar thoughts about being pregnant. I was absolutely delighted to be pregnant (and we had been trying) but I'd sometimes get a bit freaked by the idea that there was another living thing living and moving inside me...I couldn't get the thought of those 'Aliens' movies out of my head! LOL!

Gosh I hope I haven't put anyone off! I'm really enjoying breastfeeding I'm just saying that I can understand why some women don't like the idea of it.

Spanish

Old 12-17-2005, 04:34 PM   #9
(female)

Mommyof3under4 HB User

Well, with my first, I went back to work right away, and I just found it alot easier to bottle feed. And with the last, I had 2 ruptured disc in my back, and I occasionaly had to take a pain killer, I didn't like the idea of the chance that it might pass through, all of my children are completely healthy, I do not regret the decision that I made, and do not feel that I should be looked down upon, simply because I chose to use formula.

Old 12-17-2005, 05:13 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

MJCota HB User

I am choosing not to breastfeed due to my extremely sensitive breast. It KILLS when my nipples get hard so I do not think I will have the best time with breastfeeding my son. Also I'm very uncomfortable with it. Not the whole public thing, just with my breast, since they are extremely big. I am now an E. If your baby can sense you are uncomfortable, they will not latch. I plan on trying it with my second child but I'm choosing not to with my first. I was not breastfeed due to be allergic to my mothers milk and I am fine! lol. My husband was not either and he as healthy as can be I do see all the benefits and after talking to my midwife she said there is alot of formula out there that is close to breastmilk and breastmilk itself. I do plan on trying it for maybe the first couple weeks, but I doubt it will be comfortable. But I do congrats all those who choose to breastfeed. I know either way my child with love me and have the same bond as one who was breastfed

Old 12-17-2005, 05:56 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

debating HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mommyof3under4
I do not regret the decision that I made, and do not feel that I should be looked down upon, simply because I chose to use formula.
Who is looking down on you? No one here!!

I only ask because the amount of people who've asked if *I'm* going to breast feed got me thinking about why some women don't do it.. then it dawned on me, I never really gave it much thought, so I really couldn't answer the why part of it (even if for my own benefit).

Sorry I asked, I didn't do it to make you feel bad.

Last edited by debating; 12-17-2005 at 05:57 PM.

Old 12-18-2005, 12:58 AM   #12
(female)

waiting4baby05 HB User

I want to try to bf at least for my sons first feeding if I have a vaginal birth. But I do not plan to continue to bf. I will be on to many different medications for a variety of issues and even if the doc says they are safe I just don't want the meds in my sons system. I also do not think my body can take the stress of bf because I have a heart condition. And not to mention I do not want to have to pump at work. Its nice to know that women actually do not bf for vanity purposes. Now I don't feel so bad for not bf. I will just have to play it by ear. I guess I'll figure it out in a few days if my son ever wants to make his appearance.

Old 12-18-2005, 06:38 AM   #13
Veteran

sickofit HB User

I chose not to bf my first because I felt uncomfortable. It just didn't feel "right" to me and felt like an unpleasant task. I don't know why, it just did. It had nothing to do with vanity or time, I just... couldn't. Everyone, including my doctor, supported my decision to bottle feed, because if it's not something that you wholeheartedly are into, then it won't be a pleasant, bonding experience for either mom or baby. So, I bottle fed. I don't regret it at all. My son is five now and he is a wonderful, well-adjusted, smart, funny kid. Period. I understand that "breast is best" is the standard line, but that doesn't mean that 'bottle is bad' either.

Also a few misconceptions on this thread:
You still have middle of the night feedings with bottle-fed children (maybe not all kids, but my ds woke up a couple to a few times a night for the first 3 to 4 months).

Lots of women, myself included, struggle with this decision. In the end, I felt I made the best choice for my son and myself.

Last edited by sickofit; 12-18-2005 at 06:49 AM.

Old 12-18-2005, 11:36 AM   #14
(female)

Safc-Chick HB User

I bottle fed both my sons and I have no regrets I just did'nt feel comfortable BF, and both my sons are as healthy as can be and they are both very very smart. So I don't actually know if breast is best like they say in the uk.

My cousin BF her baby and she was so clingy she would have nothing to do with her dad, which I think is horrible.

I think bottle feeding gives alot more freedom so your baby dosent just get attached to its mum.

Old 12-18-2005, 12:47 PM   #15
Senior Veteran
(female)

OrangeCouture HB User

I am not going to breastfeed my baby. It is a combination of many reasons. I do not feel comfortable with a baby drinking from my breasts. The freedom of bottle feeding is also a benefit to me so that way others can spend time and feed the baby as well, not just me all the time. Also I am very modest and I am not comfrotable with breastfeeding in public, even throwing one of those blankets over the baby, I still don't feel comfortable with that. When company or family comes over I don't want to have to leave and go sit in another room to feed the baby. I don't know what one considers vanity, but I am just not comfortable with it. Although they say breastfeeding is more beneficial, thats great, but the formula is harmful to the baby either and the physicians say the baby is just fine eating that way too. For me, I am chosing to be a stay at home mom until my kid/kids go to school and so if I do not breastfeed, I believe for my own child, I am doing everything else right.

Closed Thread