It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pregnancy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-29-2005, 06:52 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

weepyone HB User
maternity leave

i just wondered if anyone else is on the count down to starting maternity leave? i have only 6 weeks left at work then i won't return till mid september and i will be doing shorter weeks till at least december it makes it feel so close now till i meet my little man face to face how i am going to contain my excitemnet at counting down these 6 weeks i don't know.

Old 12-29-2005, 10:00 AM   #2
(female)

rounsy222 HB User
Re: maternity leave

I cant start my maternity leave until a week before I am due and then after that im taking 8 weeks so I will go back beginning of june. But it depends on when I go I guess. Maternity leave in this country really sucks.
meg

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-29-2005, 12:19 PM   #3
(female)

pearoye68 HB User

I am hoping I can work until I go into labor. Then I am planning on taking 8 wks off also. I agree with Meg that maternity leave in the US sucks. I wish we at least got a year. So many first's that you miss. I get sad just thinking about coming back to work and leaving my baby.

Old 12-29-2005, 01:06 PM   #4
(female)

angie22 HB User

sorry to make you feel bad, I live in Canada and here you can aply for maternity leave 8 weeks before your due date and the maternity leave is for one full year.
you guys should move to Canada lol Tomorrow is my last day YEY

Old 12-29-2005, 06:29 PM   #5
(female)

pearoye68 HB User

angie,
hey, is that paid time off or just time off with your job held...if you say paid time off, i am going to be so envious!

Old 12-30-2005, 02:20 AM   #6
(female)

Tear_Drop HB User

I only have 10 weeks to go - I think it will FLY by... Then i got a couple of weeks off before I'm actually due, to do lots of SHOPPING!!

Then I am thinking about returning in September as in the UK you are entitled to 6 months paid, the first 6 weeks it is 90% of your salary and then after that it goes to a flat rate and then you can take 6 months unpaid....

So not bad at all

Old 12-30-2005, 04:10 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

weepyone HB User

hi teardrop
i get 6 months made of half pay and statutory mat pay, then could have 6 months with no pay but i know from 2007 it will be increased to 9 months pay 3 months no pay and that eventually it will be raised to 12 months with pay. i am using my holiday entitlement to work part time hours on my return in september so not working my normal hours till december, then have some holiday left to have christmas off and time in february off and maybe the end of march too. yay.
six weeks to go three weeks of these 6 is my holiday left from this last year but i didn't want to be killing myself at the end besides my job is highly stressful and don't want to develop high bp.

Old 12-30-2005, 07:54 AM   #8
Senior Veteran

skeetersquirt HB User

I am working up until I give birth. I won't take any time off until then, unless something happens then I can take my 2 weeks of vacation time early to be home waiting for labor to start!

I will get 12 weeks maternity leave, but have since decided that I will not return to work for a year.

Old 12-30-2005, 08:04 AM   #9
(female)

happy2bamom HB User

Hi everyone,

I too live in Canada so even though I am not due until the end of May, I will be done work at the end of February. Then I will take two weeks of paid holidays that I have saved up and after that I can apply for maternity leave. In Canada, you can apply for maternity benefits 10 weeks before you are due. We have to put in a 2 week unpaid waiting period and then after that we get 50 weeks paid at 55% of our wages. I am really looking forward to being done. This will be my 4th baby and my husband and I have decided that I will not return to work after this baby. What I am currently paying for babysitting 3 kids doesn't leave me much extra and when I add another baby into the mix I would be losing money by going to work. Any way I had better go see what the kids are getting into. I hope everyone has a wonderful New Year!!
Kathy

Old 12-30-2005, 01:42 PM   #10
Veteran

Teresa882003 HB User

Thank GOD! I am finishing up my last day at work today. And will start my leave on the 3rd. We are closed 1/2/06 for New Years. I am scheduled for my C section on the 5th!! So I have less than a week. WOOO HOOO!!!
Its a Girl 1/12/06

Old 12-30-2005, 03:33 PM   #11
(female)

1st4me HB User

Wow! Am I ever glad I live in Canada! It is my last day at work today and I'm soooo happy! Not due until the 18th of March but getting uncomfortable and sleepy all the time. I couldn't imagine only having 8 weeks off! That seems almost cruel. I have questions for those of you due around the same time as me but I'm going to start another thread.....hurray for mat leave!

Old 12-30-2005, 04:36 PM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

weepyone HB User

i thought mat leave was close for me with only six weeks to go now i am jealous of you guys finishing sooner i can't wait to start my nesting at home

Closed Thread