It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pregnancy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-31-2005, 01:37 PM   #1
(female)

rounsy222 HB User
leg cramping

I have this every now and then but the last few nights have been awful. I have heard things that can cause it but havent found anything that helps. Anyone know what its from. I heard you can get leg cramp pills. Can you take them when you are pregnant?
Meg

Old 12-31-2005, 02:22 PM   #2
(female)

rounsy222 HB User
Re: leg cramping

OK guys Im answering my own question here, I just went and searched and this is what I found:

It's most likely because your leg muscles are tired from carrying around extra weight. Leg cramps may start to plague you during your second trimester and get worse as your pregnancy progresses and your belly gets bigger. They may be aggravated by the pressure your expanding uterus puts on the blood vessels that return blood from your legs to your heart and the nerves leading from your trunk to your legs. While these cramps can occur during the day, you'll probably notice them most at night.

You may have read that getting too little calcium and potassium can cause leg cramps — or that getting too much phosphorus (found in processed meat, snack foods, and soda) can have the same effect because it can keep you from absorbing enough calcium. But no good studies back up either of those theories. It's a good idea, though, to make sure you're getting enough calcium while you're pregnant. If you don't, your growing baby will leach what he needs from your bones, which can put you at higher risk for osteoporosis later. Be sure not to take calcium supplements that contain bone meal or dolomite, which can contain dangerous levels of lead. (In fact, don't take any herbal or vitamin supplements without first discussing it with your healthcare provider.)

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-31-2005, 09:26 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

OrangeCouture HB User

Thanks for the information Rounsey! It is very helpful.

Old 01-01-2006, 10:32 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

girl75 HB User

great info, thanks.
i have had leg cramps since i was a little girl and still get them till this day, pregnancy has made them a bit worse. i will usually prop up my legs and put a heating pad on them and that really helps alot.
robin

Old 01-02-2006, 09:09 PM   #5
(female)

1st4me HB User

Hi! I just wanted to add to Rounsy's information....the lack of potassium and magnesium seem to be the problem for me. I had that problem about a month ago and my homeopath said i could go on supplements or i could eat more bananas! I'm almost 30 weeks and i have been eating a banana before bed every night since they started. It took two nights and since then i haven't had any!!!! try some bananas...sometimes things can be so simple, ilove it!

Old 01-03-2006, 12:57 AM   #6
(female)

rounsy222 HB User

Just so everyone knows I started taking 2-4 rolaids(they have extra calcium and are good for pregnant women to take) before bed and a big glass of milk for the last few nights and I have not had one since. I guess it was the calcium I needed plus it has helped my heartburn at night too.
Meg

Last edited by rounsy222; 01-03-2006 at 12:58 AM.

Closed Thread