It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pregnancy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-01-2006, 05:28 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

OrangeCouture HB User
Question Extremely onfused: What week could I be?

I have to vent. I am confused what week I am now because of a 4-D ultrasound I had last week. My last period was at the end of June and then a week later I got a second period. I had to guess when my LMP was and have been using July 2. I am suppose to be 26 weeks now and due April 9th.

I had a 4-D ultrasound last week and they measure everything in more detail and their equipment is more high tech. According to them I am only 23 weeks and due April 26th.

Nearly 3 weeks is a significant difference and the 4-D place gave me a detailed report to take back to my medical professionals with their findings. I had a "dating ultrasound" at 8 weeks to determine how far along I was and then again at 10 weeks. At 20 weeks or so I went in for the big ultrasound to determine the sex and look for abnormalities. The 4-D place said that the hospitals tend to determine the date early on and stick with it. I asked because I was shocked to be so far off and no one could tell with all the ultrasounds I have had.

Here is what confuses me the most: The 4-D place is high tech and more accurate overall and the later due date could make sense except those who are due around April 26th had a LMP date of July 20-something. My last was the end of June/very beginning of July. I am terribly confused and I can't wait until I go in for my next appointment on Jan. 17th.

I would like to know which week I am, or closest too because I like to follow each week and read about it and having a nearly 3 weeks difference I believe is very significant!

Anything like this happen to anyone else?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-01-2006, 05:46 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

soon2bmommy HB User
Re: Extremely onfused: What week could I be?

I had the same thing happen.. My EDD was changed from march 12th to march 22nd. I know not a big jump, but when you want your baby out, It's a big deal!!! I was sick and out of town most of the month that I conceived my son. I know what date I had intercourse (I had sex ONCE that month due to being sick etc..), and I know all my dates down to a T. I know when my due date "should" be but... Dr's offices go by averages.. Which I don't understand because they are the first to say, "every baby develops differently etc" I'd like some insight on this also!

Old 01-01-2006, 05:50 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

sobannon HB User

I am due 4/22, my LMP was July 16 and I KNOW for a fact when I conceived b/c I was in fertility treatment. I was 24 weeks as of yesterday. It is possible to ovulate off schedule. Not everyone ovulates exactly on day 14, I know that I don't. Perhaps your body was just having an OFF moment. I wouldn't worry about it, as long as your little one is healthy. The doc's will not let you go over and if she looks too big or stops growing earlier than expected, they will take the proper steps.

Amy

Old 01-01-2006, 05:59 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

weepyone HB User

hi orange
if they gave you a detailed report for your doc, you could ask your doc if they found all was well, if it was, there you go your mind may be put at rest. Going by lmp is enough to estimate your edd but the u/s as far as i am aware measures the size of the baby hence gives you how old it is based on size and averages this obviously varies for example the size at my dating scan would mean i was pg 4 days before my lmp which just is not true so i guess it is possible to go the other way like your scan shows too. maybe your baby is on the smaller but healthy side of average. all these esitmated of edd baby size and shape are all just estimates i am sure onlty taken to drive us moms to be in sane. i hope all is fine in the report i think checking this out may be the only way to ease your worries and fears over your litlte girl. take care

Old 01-02-2006, 01:37 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

zekat HB User

I've always been told that docs go with the earliest ultrasound because they are the most accurate for dating purposes. It is possible that your baby is *measuring* 23 weeks, but that does not mean that's how far along you are. I had early ultrasounds that dated my pregnancy at 1/4/06 and later (at the 20 week u/s) the baby measured 12/20/05. My doctors did not change my due date & I am still very pregnant.

Old 01-02-2006, 03:40 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

friday13 HB User

I have had a ton of u/s's... They dated me from the beginning for 2/24. Since then I had several u/s's and they kept that date based on LMP (which was an approx. date).

In November I had a brand new u/s tech that for the first time dated me as 2/27 which was only a few days off but my baby has weighed and measured bigger this ENTIRE pregnancy about 2 weeks ahead of 2/24 - but my family has big babes so I didn't worry about the 2 weeks earlier part until the "NEW" tech gave me 2/27. Then in December I got another u/s with an experienced tech and she said I am measuring about 1.5 weeks ahead and gave me a date of 2/20.

So I think the new tech that gave me 2/27 was off - probably just new and nervous having someone hang over top of her etc. The Doc is keeping my date of 2/24 and working with that.

I would go in before your scheduled appt. if this really bothers you - and discuss it with the Doc to put your mind at ease - !!

Friday

Old 01-02-2006, 10:47 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

girl75 HB User

i bet you could call and ask the med asst or nurse to check what the report says. tell her that you are really confused and would like to know and that you can't wait till your docs appt. assuming that they understand they will probably call you back with an answer and information to help you.
they get calls with concerned mothers like us all the time and i am sure you aren't the first to call with a question like the one you have.
goodluck and let us know what comes up.
robin

Old 01-02-2006, 10:52 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

roxyfoxy HB User

My understanding is that they don't change due dates much because some babies grow bigger or smaller than other babies. They go by the earlier ultrasounds because they are more accurate. As the fetus matures, it can be bigger than normal. Quite possibly, your baby can be measuring big for dates. My due date never changed, I had a section a week early due to breech presentation, but he was measuring a bit larger. If I would have had a natural birth at or after my EDD, he would have been 10lbs or so. This information comes from my doctor's explanation when I was questioning the due date.

Old 01-02-2006, 11:19 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

OrangeCouture HB User

The 4-D tech told us the early ultrasounds are not the most accurate because they can't measure bones and other parts that they are able to measure later. She also said that the hospitals stick with the first date and don't change it, even if they happen to be off by more than a week. She said she measures the parts of the baby during the 4-D and the high tech machines score her for accuracy at the end, it is a very detailed report. I think sometimes what if I am not due until April 26th? The hospital had April 9th in my records and if I don't have it two weeks after the 9th they will try to induce me for going overdue when I am not technically due yet. Just thoughts I am having which may not be the biggest deal. I will find out soon!

Old 01-02-2006, 12:32 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

roxyfoxy HB User

Quote:
hospital had April 9th in my records and if I don't have it two weeks after the 9th they will try to induce me for going overdue when I am not technically due yet.
You don't have to be induced if you don't want to. If, after you talk to your doctor, they think your 4D was wrong and time comes and you haven't had the baby and its April 15th (just picking a date) and they want to induce you don't have to. At that point your gut will kick in. You have a choice no matter what the docs say. At the same time, if they did want to induce you after you were 2 wks late from your due date being April 9th, and the baby is not really due until the 27th, that is 2 weeks and your baby will be fine. After week 37 your baby is healthy and strong enough to live on the outside world. Don't worry too much, you'll be fine. I would like to know what your doctor says though. This is an interesting topic.

Old 01-02-2006, 03:14 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

weepyone HB User

i don't know how early in pregnancy they date you in the u.s in the uk they date you at 12 weeks and stick with it and never date you again not even at your 20 week anomaly scan which measures size and also looks for abnormalities. i think all this swapping the date at every appointment in the u.s seems to confuse a lot of people who post on this board.
although talking of being induced because of going over your dates the longer after edd you go the more the placenta loses its function and then still birth can sometimes occur. although i don't want to be induced if i had gone to far past my edd given at my dating scan at 12 weeks i would go for the induction to ensure my baby was o.k.

Old 01-02-2006, 03:52 PM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

soon2bmommy HB User

I was told 4-D's aren't very accurate at dating because in the regular ultrasound, you see bones, which is what is measured. In the 4-d it's skin etc. that is picked up and they don't date off of that. I was told to go by my dating U/S that they wouldn't change it to the 4-d because of it's inaccuracy in dating. Which makes alot of sense to me, as they go by the thigh bone, skull, etc. And the 4-D is not picking that up like the regular ultrasound does. That's what I was told by the radiologist, I just wanted to pass that along.

Old 01-03-2006, 11:22 AM   #13
(female)

**Peaches** HB User

Orange... Just wondering if you have had any further clarification on this? I was told earlier u/s are more accurate for dating by an u/s tech. My menstrual cycle is often 44 days, and irregular at that - so I can't go by LMP. Do you recall if your Dr. confirmed your date early on by the size of your uterus? At 10 wks, my Dr. told me that she felt confident in the 7 wk. ultrasoud EDD because my uterus and fundus (top of the uterus) measured on target with the EDD. Plus we barely heard a heartbeat on the Doppler at 8 wks (according to u/s EDD), but at 10 wks she found it no problem. So I feel confident in the 7 wk. u/s EDD because it aligns with so many other symptoms, morning sickness and breast tenderness also greatly reduced right on schedule around 12 weeks. Have you tracked symptoms such as these that could help you pick a date?

Old 01-03-2006, 11:56 AM   #14
Senior Veteran
(female)

OrangeCouture HB User

I got a positive result on August 1st. I had mild nausea for 2 weeks from my 6th to 8th weeks of pregnancy. I have had no other pregnancy symptoms before then or since. We know that my husband was gone on the USS Reagan and it happened when he got back in July, although I am unsure of an exact date. My husband thinks the die date is more like April 15-18th than the given April 9th due to him being away that month. I am sure that possibly the baby is measuring small and that I am due anywhere from the 9th to 18th somewhere. I will ask my midwife when I go in on the 17th of January what her opinion of this is. I got confused because the 4-D place said that they are more accurate, especially being able to measure later on and they were very certain that my due date was off and I was due the 26th of April.

Old 01-03-2006, 12:34 PM   #15
Senior Veteran
(female)

roxyfoxy HB User

Quote:
i think all this swapping the date at every appointment in the u.s seems to confuse a lot of people who post on this board.
I agree with weepyone. Due dates are never accurate anyway. They say to allow a 2 week difference before and after the due date. There is a reason for the this. Nobody can predict exactly when you will have the baby, due dates are an estimate.

Closed Thread