It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pregnancy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-02-2006, 03:07 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

friday13 HB User
Hospital Bag for C-sections - at U.S. hospitals.

Hi - I did a search for csections and hospital bags - what is needed etc. and found a list for Canada but not for the U.S.

Can anyone give a quick list of what is needed for Mom and Baby in the U.S. hospitals after a c-section?

Thanks so very much - Friday

Old 01-02-2006, 09:59 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

roxyfoxy HB User
Re: Hospital Bag for C-sections - at U.S. hospitals.

I would think it would be about the same. I am in Canada, and the healthcare is a bit different, but I researched the same things as well. I took with me a nursing gown (I stayed in the hospital one though because of bleeding), a robe (I used this for walking the halls), my own pads (hospital pads suck!), 3-5 pairs of underwear, shampoo, soap, brush, etc., slippers (a must!), diapers and wipes for the baby, a sleeper or 2 for him (he stayed in the hospital gown though), clothes to go home in for both me and baby. I actually used the clothes I arrived in since I only wore them for an hour or two. It was much easier than packing extra stuff. In my hospital, they don't take pictures anymore, but they may still do so in the hospitals in the US, so bring a nice outfit for baby pictures.

Also, I would check with your hospital, they may be different than other hospitals. My hospital gave me a nice list to go by and it was right on. Oh, don't forget your camera or video recorder! We couldn't take videos of the section (I doubt you'd want to) but as soon as the baby arrived my husband captured his cries while they weighed him and examined him.

I would suggest bringing your own pillow with a bright pillow case (to tell it apart from the hospital ones.) I wish I brought mine, their pillows were not comfortable.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-02-2006, 10:16 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Valerie_s HB User

In the states you can video tape the section if you want too, I had both my kids in Canada and roxy's right no cams there...legal issuees, but you can in the states I asked, as far as the list it shoudnt be too different, seeing as its the same procedure

Old 01-02-2006, 12:11 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

friday13 HB User

so the U.S. hospitals don't provide you with diapers or wipes for the baby - or do you just prefer certain ones?

very interesting on the video cameras! I wouldn't think they would allow them - but that is Great that they do!

Old 01-02-2006, 01:41 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

roxyfoxy HB User

I am in Canada, they don't provide them. I would think in the US some hospitals are different on what they provide. I would contact where you will deliver to find out specifics just to be certain.

Old 01-02-2006, 07:46 PM   #6
(female)

Mamasita_of_3 HB User

Im in the Houston area and I know most of the hosp here do provide diapers, wipes, milk for the baby and tons of other things. I was in the hosp 3 days after my csection and both kids stayed in the hosp shirts they give them. Here they also still take pics of the baby for you to order.

David Anthony 4/16/98
Skye Lyn 5/13/01
Faith Lyn 3/20/06

Old 01-02-2006, 07:58 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Valerie_s HB User

Im in Michigan and they will provide, formula, and diapers

Old 01-04-2006, 10:11 AM   #8
(female)

walnutsmom HB User

I can understand wanting to bring a robe but I would not bring your own gown as you feel pretty gross the whole time with sweat, some blood, etc. I loved using the hospital gowns especially since they are made for easy nursing.

In the US (seattle) they provided us with newborn t-shirts, diapers, wipes and formula if the baby wasn't nursing well yet. They also had a vcr (so you can bring movies--I brought our wedding video) and a cd player so you can play your favorite music.

Old 01-04-2006, 10:36 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

gel2005 HB User

Yes, they do provide you with wipes and diapers at U.S. hospitals. Each hospital is different though. My husband was not allowed to take video or pics of my C-section. I also had an emergency c-section. Take comfy clothes for you. Like sweat pants. WHat roxyfoxy listed sounds about right. Although I didn't wear my undies at the hospital. They provided me with this diaper like thing and mesh undies. I thought it was comfy.

Old 01-04-2006, 11:04 AM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

friday13 HB User

So basically you need all of your normal shower/bath products, a robe or nighty if you want to use your own, and going home outfit (what you wore in is fine) and a going home outfit for your baby.

camera, cell phone, baby book, pen and paper... ?

Old 01-04-2006, 11:49 AM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

roxyfoxy HB User

you can bring your cell phone, but you can't use it. They interfere with heart machines and such. I believe all hospitals have this rule.

I brought the robe so I could walk the halls. Walking is very important after a c-section. If I didn't wear it, my butt would have hung out! As for the undies, in Canada they don't give you mesh ones. You have to buy your own. I preferred my maternity ones anyway.

Old 01-04-2006, 11:53 AM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

friday13 HB User

Excellent point about the robe and the cell phone! thanks!!

Closed Thread