It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pregnancy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-02-2006, 12:26 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

MellyMel HB User
Anyone over 38 and pregnant??

Hello Everyone:

I would like to hear some experiences of woman over 35 that have gotten pregnant and how their experiences went. Especially if it was with your 2nd or 3rd child. I am a 38-year old woman that has been married almost 10 years now and we have a 7-year old son. Well, I could never get pregnant back to back because of weight problems, high blood pressure issues, money issues, etc. But now, everything is right in my life to give my son a sibling, BUT I am so torn over whether to or not to. Part of me feels as if I'm too old now. I know only my hubby and I can make that decision. But sometimes, I think do I really want to do that all over again? Daycare, bottles, pampers, EVERYTHING!! LOL. The part of me thinks how GREAT would that be!!! So, anyone over 35 and especially waited years between to have another one, I would really appreciate hearing your story.

Thank you for sharing!

God Bless...

Melly

Old 01-02-2006, 05:03 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Mom22greatkids HB User
Re: Anyone over 38 and pregnant??

Hi. I'm 37 and due to have my 3rd in February. My others are 6 and 3.We really struggled on whether or not to have another because I always told myself that I wouldn't have any more after 35. But I felt like someone was missing from our family and knew I wasn't getting any younger so we just decided. We went the "not trying but not preventing" route and I was very surprised how quickly it happened. This pregnancy has not been much different from the others except that I had the first trimester screening (the ultrasound to measure the nuchal fold and it's put together with a blood test to get your odds of something wrong). I also had some bleeding behind the placenta which they closely monitored with ultrasounds. And the placenta was low-lying (had this with my first also) which was also monitored closely. Both problems corrected themselves. So with all the extra testing and ultrasounds I actually feel more reassured than with the others. If you have any questions, let me know. Good luck in whatever you decide to do!

Last edited by Mom22greatkids; 01-02-2006 at 05:04 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-02-2006, 05:13 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

MellyMel HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom22greatkids
Hi. I'm 37 and due to have my 3rd in February. My others are 6 and 3.We really struggled on whether or not to have another because I always told myself that I wouldn't have any more after 35. But I felt like someone was missing from our family and knew I wasn't getting any younger so we just decided. We went the "not trying but not preventing" route and I was very surprised how quickly it happened. This pregnancy has not been much different from the others except that I had the first trimester screening (the ultrasound to measure the nuchal fold and it's put together with a blood test to get your odds of something wrong). I also had some bleeding behind the placenta which they closely monitored with ultrasounds. And the placenta was low-lying (had this with my first also) which was also monitored closely. Both problems corrected themselves. So with all the extra testing and ultrasounds I actually feel more reassured than with the others. If you have any questions, let me know. Good luck in whatever you decide to do!
That is exactly how I feel. As much as God knows I love my son, I almost feel like it would be complete with one more and to give him a sibling. You know, someone to talk/confide in growing up. I hate to think of him as an only child when we are growing old and that he won't have anybody to talk to. Plus he grew up so quicky! Hubby and I have discussed this issue over the years, but as I said ealier, things were not right in our life to have another, but now I am a good place in life to do it. Thanks you for sharing!!

Melly

Old 01-02-2006, 06:36 PM   #4
(female)

rojo6pak HB User

I'm 37 and now four months along with TWINS!!!. I have four DS's ages ranging from 19-14. Did I ever think of doing it again, absolutely NOT! But as life changes without notice, I found myself in a divorce 11 years ago. However, I remarried 7 years ago and my DH (best friend I've ever had) has never had children of his own. I wanted to give him that since he has done so well at raising four that weren't his own. We went through IVF to get pg b/c I had my tubes tied 14 years ago.
My two older sons have moved out of the home (just this last year)and the younger two are in high school. One a junior and one a freshman. I just cannot phathom a quiet, KIDLESS home, and it saddens me to think they will all be gone soon. I am still very maternal, even at 37 and looking forward to the pitter patter of little feet and finger printed walls and furniture again. diapers, bottle,etc...DS's are all ecstatic about the arrival of their new little siblings. 2006 is going to be a GREAT one!
Now, as for the physical aspect, I certainly feel the difference in age (LOL) Fatigue,groginess(?) and weight gain. Although, that could be because of twins! I did have some bleeding, but I am confident that it was due to IVF, not the pregnancy itself. Either way, I still feel good about this whole thing, and wouldn't change anything about it! I suggest if you feel that you want to have another baby, GO FOR IT!!! Were not old, however WISER!! I've learned alot in the last 19 years, I feel like a pro now (LOL) Good luck and happy new year.
Rojo

Old 01-03-2006, 07:03 AM   #5
(female)

pearoye68 HB User

Well I am 37 and pregnant with my first child. I just got married last May and we got pregnant in late July only 2 weeks after I stopped the pill. Neither of us had childred from our previous marriages so we wanted one together and time was not on our side to wait. We are thrilled and excited about our little one coming. We already debating on another. We have decided if this birth and child do good, we will probably try again when he is around a year old. That way I can have my 2 before I am 40. Good luck with whatever you decide. I say if you want to, do it. We only live once and life is so short.

Old 01-03-2006, 07:21 AM   #6
(female)

sousou HB User

Hi Melly,

I just turned 38 in dec and I am 9 weeks preg. I had 2 boys when I was 24y and 26y.....I was also saying there is no way I will try to have a baby after 35, but I guess never say never..
My husband and I decided way back that 2 are enough and no more but when I turned 37 he wanted another baby and in my heart I wanted too....I had a misc in may at 7 weeks I keep praying for a healthy baby and I am feeling very nervous ...the pregnancy so far is all diff from the previous ones ( Iguess because of age) or maybe because I am 50 pounds heavier
I am getting a lot of nausea, extreme fatigue and crampings but the doctor said this is all normal..
I don't mind all this as long as the baby is going to be healthy ...
wish you the best..

Old 01-03-2006, 10:15 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

MellyMel HB User

Thank you everyone for sharing your stories with me. I truly appreciate your thoughts and opinions!

God Bless,

Melly

Old 01-03-2006, 01:37 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

Ratatosk HB UserRatatosk HB User

I became pregnant with our first child at 36 and had DS when I was 37. DH was 39 at the time. We wanted to wait until we were financially and emotionally ready to have kids. I didn't have any problems during the pregnancy. Only concern was with the dreaded triple screen test that they perform on all of us oldsters, which tends to show a higher percentage of false results. Test results were fine. Just didn't like worrying about that. Also, I flunked my first glucose test and had to have the three hour one, which I ended up passing. Pregnancy was pretty much uneventful, normal.

Old 01-03-2006, 03:43 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

MellyMel HB User

Thank you so much for sharing your stories. I really appreciate it. I have made an appointment with my ob/gyn to discuss age and another baby. I think we are going to go for it. I got pregnant first shot(LOL) with my son, but that was almost 8 years ago. There's a chance maybe I won't even be able to now. Not that anything is wrong, just my age and fertility. If it happens, it happens. If not, I have a wonderful son I love more than this world that God blessed me with. You see, he will be getting a vasectomy soon and then we definately will not be able to. So before he gets this done, we have discussed another one since I am in the best shape I've ever been before. The only thing, my age. I will be 39 in May and realize that bad things can happen the older we get pregnant. I am willing to take that chance though.

Thank you all again!

Melly

Old 01-04-2006, 04:41 AM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

Mom22greatkids HB User

Make sure you start taking your prenatals (or even a daily vitamin if you don't already take one) and extra folic acid now before you start trying. Hope everything goes well for you!

Old 01-04-2006, 05:38 AM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

MellyMel HB User

Quote:
Make sure you start taking your prenatals (or even a daily vitamin if you don't already take one) and extra folic acid now before you start trying. Hope everything goes well for you!
Thank you. I am!! I"m drinking a glass of O.J. a day and taking my vitamin. Is one glass enough = 6 oz?

Melly

Old 01-04-2006, 05:44 AM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

MellyMel HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratatosk
I became pregnant with our first child at 36 and had DS when I was 37. DH was 39 at the time. We wanted to wait until we were financially and emotionally ready to have kids. I didn't have any problems during the pregnancy. Only concern was with the dreaded triple screen test that they perform on all of us oldsters, which tends to show a higher percentage of false results. Test results were fine. Just didn't like worrying about that. Also, I flunked my first glucose test and had to have the three hour one, which I ended up passing. Pregnancy was pretty much uneventful, normal.
Thank you so much for sharing. I don't think I will be taking those awful blood tests. I'm glad to hear that yours went great!! I had gestational diabetes with my first and was insulin dependant, but only until delivery and then poof, it was gone. I was also 35 lbs. heavier than I am now when I got pregnant. I was around 170 when I got pregnant with my son and now I am healthier and lighter!! I am now at 134 So, I'm hoping that this one would be possibly be a better pregnancy. I also had pre-eclampsia and had him 6 weeks early, so I know that I will be high risk, but this time around it may be possible I won't have diabetes or H.B.P.

Thanks again!! God bless

Melly

Old 01-04-2006, 09:32 AM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

Mom22greatkids HB User

I'm not sure how much folic acid oj has but you should take at least 400 mcg per day. I just bought a bottle and took one along with my vitamin every day. It's best to start before pregnancy and should be taken through the first few months.

Old 01-04-2006, 09:43 AM   #14
Senior Veteran
(female)

MellyMel HB User

Quote:
I'm not sure how much folic acid oj has but you should take at least 400 mcg per day. I just bought a bottle and took one along with my vitamin every day. It's best to start before pregnancy and should be taken through the first few months.
Thanks again. I'm going to buy a bottle tonight.

Melly

Old 01-21-2006, 05:23 PM   #15
(female)

wendyr HB User

I am 40 years old and expecting my first child this April. All indications show a healthy pregnancy. They say your 40's these days is not too old. The only problems I have had is a lot of cramping and gas pain, both of which have subsided mostly now. It is believed this was caused by my being tall and thin and able to feel every ligament stretch. I had no morning sickness whatsoever. I am a worrier though and cannot believe that things will go right until baby's due date, but I guess these feelings are normal.

Closed Thread