It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pregnancy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-03-2006, 08:52 PM   #1
(female)

lrguyer HB User
Red face Pre-term Labor

Whew! What a night! I am currently 24 and a half weeks along and just got back from the hospital. I thought I was just having Braxton-Hicks contractions but then they started hurting really badly!! So I went in and I was already 1 cm dilated! Malachi is ready to come out! My contractions were pretty consistent, but after lots of fluids she got them stopped. I have to call my OB in the morning to see what happens from here. I am just praying that there is no bedrest, but I'll do whatever needs to be done to keep my baby safe.

Anyone else out there been through this? Just wondering what your experiences were....Did it make your baby deliver early when you actually did deliver? Did you have more problems with contractions and have to go in more than once for them to stop them?

Just curious as this opens up a whole new realm of ideas that I thought just wouldn't happen to me!!

Old 01-03-2006, 08:55 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

soon2bmommy HB User
Re: Pre-term Labor

Dec 2nd I went into ER and got sent to L&D because of preterm labor. They were able to stop it though and I am now 29 weeks and no special rules to abide by. I wasn't dialated at all though. Had to drink some nasty stuff, PHEW but atleast it stopped!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-04-2006, 05:54 AM   #3
Veteran
(female)

Sallyz HB User

I went into pre-term labor at 26 weeks. I had no idea--just some menstrual-type cramps. Anyway, I was not dilated, but thinning and the baby's head was pushing to come out. Anyway, I was in the hospital for a week on IV medication and now I'd at home on modified bedrest (kind of like house-arrest) and on medication cause he won't move his head.
I'm 33 weeks now and doing great--getting kind of bored, but I'll survive. I'm not allowed to do housework and go for car rides (except to the doctor). Doctor says I can start doing things again at 36 weeks and I already have a huge list. I hope this baby gives me a couple weeks to finish the nursery and get ready for him. Good thing is though, in the past 7 weeks of treatment...nothing has progressed or changed, so, it does work.
I hope your doctor doesn't give you bedrest, I would say, just try your best to follow whatever instructions he/she gives you because it could always be worse, and could get worse if you don't! I've heard of people spending their entire third trimester in the hospital...ugh! I just think about that everytime I feel like I might be pushing it a little...it gives me great incentive to get my butt back on the couch LOL!

Old 01-04-2006, 08:18 AM   #4
Veteran
(female)

hotmamma13 HB User

I've never had this happen to me, but I'm terrified b/c I have CONSTANT braxton hicks. Meaning, I have them about 7 or 8 times a day. Is this normal?

Old 01-04-2006, 08:38 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

worrywort HB Userworrywort HB User

I also have bh a lot, I had an ob apt yesterday and I told the doc and he said just watch them. More than 4 an hour is not good. I have them all day hte last couple days, Not 4 in an hour though. I am terrified of pre term.
Carly

Old 01-04-2006, 08:48 AM   #6
(female)

Mommyof3under4 HB User

At 24 weeks, I was having a huge amount of discharge, my ob wanted me to come on in. Turns out that I was 2 1/2 cm, and 80% effaced. I was diagnosed with an incomptent cervix, and immediately had it stitched up. I am guessing that they were not too concerned with this being your case, because they would not have sent you home. I was put to strict bed rest, but ended up delivering at 38 weeks to a 9lb 2oz baby boy!!

Old 01-04-2006, 10:56 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

friday13 HB User

Hi does any one know if the test (to see if you are going to be pre-term) checks to see if you are leaking any amniotic fluid as well? Or is that what the test is? My Doc did a "swab" test to see if I am a candidate for pre-term labor within the next week or so - results are due back this afternoon -

I am concerned if I am leaking any fluid or not though...
33 weeks this friday... And having all sorts of issues.

Old 01-04-2006, 11:53 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

BarbaraH HB UserBarbaraH HB UserBarbaraH HB UserBarbaraH HB User

No answer to the test for pre-term labor question, sorry!

When I went into pre-term at 26 weeks, I was given a shot of Beta Methazone to mature the baby's lungs in case he was born that early. A 2nd shot 24 hours later was given as is the proper protocol. I was also put on Ritadrine to stop my labor long enough for me to get both doses. My son was born 3 days after the second shot and even though he was tiny, he never needed the ventilator at all. He was in NICU for 10 weeks growing big enough to come home.

Ask about this shot for maturing the baby's lungs if it seems your baby will come early. It made all the difference for our son.

Wishing you well - Barbara

Old 01-04-2006, 11:57 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

friday13 HB User

I am wondering why they didn't check to see if I am leaking amniotic fluid? that was my concern and the reason for me going to the office in the first place.

Old 01-04-2006, 01:17 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

sobannon HB User

The swab test is called a "fern test". If you are leaking amniotic fluid it will show up under a microscope looking like a fern leaf. Regular vaginal secretions do not have this distinct look to them.

Hope this helps.

Amy

Old 01-04-2006, 01:34 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

friday13 HB User

Amy so the test I did get today will show if I am leaking or not...
Thanks! Still waiting for the call from the Doc office.

friday

Old 01-04-2006, 01:37 PM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

sobannon HB User

Unless there is a newer test that I have not heard of. I know that this test has been around for at least 12 years.

I hope you get the answer you are looking for.

Barbara.....How much did your son weigh at birth?

Amy

Old 01-04-2006, 03:17 PM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

BarbaraH HB UserBarbaraH HB UserBarbaraH HB UserBarbaraH HB User

Hi again,

My son weighed 2lb 3 1/2 oz. and was 16" long. He came home at 4 1/2lb. and actually kept growing! He's 21 years old now, 5'9" tall, has a mild form of CP, builds computers, is fluent in German, has a quick and hysterical sense of humor, and is in college! All this happened in the blink of my eye!!

Cheers! Barbara

Old 01-04-2006, 03:22 PM   #14
(female)

lrguyer HB User

Wow, this info has really helped. I have been a nervous wreck all day today. My doctor could not get me in to see her until tomorrow morning at 10:30, so they just told me to drink all of the fluids that I could stand and then come in tomorrow. I am so scared that she is going to put me on bedrest or tell me that it might happen again!

It was great to hear about your son, Barbara. That really helped. The neonatal nurse last night came in to talk to us about the options and things that might happen to the baby if he was born now. CP was one of the issues mentioned. I guess you just have such high hopes that your baby will be born healthy, but at this point I just really want him to be able to come home. Whether that means we have to deal with some health issues or not, it's okay.

For those of you who have gone through this before, were any of you dilated this early? I guess that is my real concern about all of this. No one else seems to have actually dilated when they had a pre-term labor scare. So, I'm a little freaked out about that....

I guess I'll just have to wait and see until I talk to the OB tomorrow AM.

Old 01-04-2006, 03:29 PM   #15
Veteran
(female)

Sallyz HB User

friday-you probably had the fetal fibronectin (I think that's how you spell it) test. I'm not real sure, but it tests to see if you are secreting some kind of protien. The fern test for amniotic fluid I guess is real easy and the doctor can do it right there in the office in like 5 minutes. Mine does it every once in a while, but not every time.
My doctor said no more than one braxton hick contraction in an hour, but that's probably because I'm high risk now. I don't think I've ever had one actually--I think this medication I'm on has stopped my uterus from twitching at all!
So, for those of you who have had preterm labor and made it full term, how did your labor and delivery go...was it normal or easier?

Closed Thread