It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pregnancy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-04-2006, 08:37 PM   #1

PinkGLoss HB User
I really need advice

Okay ... i'm due March 31st and it seems to be coming fast because i have an issue and i don't know what to do. I'm having a wonderful baby boy. I'm not sure if i want to have him circumcised. I've done a bunch of research on the topic, yet i'm still confused on what i want to do. I downloaded a video to see it done and i cried through the whole thing. I want my son to have a circumcised penis but i dont think i can put him through the pain. I've never heard a baby cry so hard or shake so bad in my life. It kinda makes me mad when doctors say it doesnt hurt. If it didn't the baby wouldn't react that way. Is anyone else going through this? Or the mothers who have already crossed this bridge can you help me out? Thank you!

*Ashley*

Old 01-05-2006, 12:42 AM   #2
(female)

aquatilly HB User
Re: I really need advice

Why exactly do you want your son to be circumcised? This is a religious thing and circumcising a male by definition is equivalent to removing part of a girl's clitoris, prepuce, or labia. Circumcision seems to have caught on in America as a cosmetic thing and parents should consider what is best for their child and perhaps let the child decide when they get older whether or not they want their foreskin.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-05-2006, 01:10 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

weepyone HB User

i get the impression most men are circumcised in the u.s? in the uk men are only circumcised on religous grounds or if as they get older the skin is too tight tmi. so most english men are intact so to speak. i would not do this for my baby unless he had problems. maybe circumcision is more cultural than religous?

Old 01-05-2006, 01:38 AM   #4
(female)

aquatilly HB User

Circumcision comes from Judaism. Most men in the world are not circumsized, and you are right, the vast majority of British men are not cut unless they are Jewish. For some reason circumcision became a fad in America for cosmetic reasons. The entirety of Europe among other countries think it is odd that American's circumsize their children as that is what Jewish people do as part of their religion. It's really up to the parent to make a decision on whether or not they think it's the proper thing to do to their child. And yes it has become somewhat of a cultural thing in America, that doesn't make it right. It's the same thing as cutting off part of your daughter's clitoris because it's accepted by society, doesn't make it right.

Old 01-05-2006, 02:37 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

dh22 HB User

it's a personal choice. we chose to because my husband and i are school teachers and we see a lot of boys get infections because they are not properly cleaning themselves once the parents stop monitoring - which is fine because parents can't monitor forever but that was OUR descision to make. I wasn't in the room for it and when he came back i gave him a bottle he was fine.
but it is a descion that you and your dh must decide. everyone has thier own opinion.

Old 01-05-2006, 02:49 AM   #6
(female)

rounsy222 HB User

Its a personal choice either way, there is alot of research you can do on the topic and that is probably your best way to decide for yourself.

Last edited by rounsy222; 01-05-2006 at 02:52 AM.

Old 01-05-2006, 03:54 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

zekat HB User

I understand your dilemma. DH & I have been discussing this exact issue like crazy & are still not 100% sure what we will do if we have a boy. I'm pretty sure we've decided against a circ. It's tough making decisions for someone else who can't give you any input. Whatever your decision is, it will be made in love, so go with what you feel is best.

FYI - while I was researching circumcision, I found a lot of very interesting information about the reasons they were started. Like one poster mentioned, religion had a lot to do with it, but in the US, circumcision was used to help curb masterbation back in the colonial days. Do some searches... it's disturbing & fascinating all at the same time!

Old 01-05-2006, 06:08 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

friday13 HB User

I am having a girl - but I can tell you about my friend who has had two boys - she decided to have them circumsized because she didn't want them to be "different" from their dad - (bathroom teaching stuff) etc. That was her reason.

Closed Thread