It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pregnancy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-05-2006, 10:50 AM   #1
Veteran
(female)

hotmamma13 HB User
Red face Contractions at 26wks? Normal?

Hello to all.

I went to the Dr. this morning b/c I felt like I was having contractions (unlike the bh that I have been having all of the time). They were about 4 to 5 an hour. Some were really strong and some so mild I could hardly feel them. The midwife monitored me and told me I was having real contractions, but that I wasn't dihalated at all, and that sometimes that happens but just to take it easy for awhile.

My ? is: Does this happen often? Has it happened to anyone on this board? And does this mean I am at a greater chance for preterm labor?

Thanks for any responses, I really don't know what to think.

Old 01-05-2006, 11:04 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

BarbaraH HB UserBarbaraH HB UserBarbaraH HB UserBarbaraH HB User
Re: Contractions at 26wks? Normal?

Hi -

No, it is not normal to have actual contractions at this stage of pregnancy. Actual contractions now are pre-term labor and if they continue can cause your cervix to thin, dialte, and prepare for birth.

I'm puzzled as to why the midwife didn't send you to be monitered at the hospital. Did the contractions stop on their own? Were you checked for a urinary tract infection (that can cause early labor)? Were you told to go to the hospital if the contractions started again? Were your told to drink lots of water and to stay in bed unless up to pee and also, no sex?

This did happen to me and our son was born at 26-27 weeks. I don't recommend it. I wish you'd seen a doctor!

Don't hesitate to go to the hospital ER if the contractions start again. If you have a doctor that will see you if there's a situation that the midwife cannot handle, I'd call that doctor on the phone to tell him/her what has happened.

IMO, you need to be in a hospital if your baby comes early. I delivered at a hospital with a preemie ICU, so my son got excellent care before birth and as a preemie.

Wishing you well - Barbara

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-05-2006, 11:18 AM   #3
Veteran
(female)

hotmamma13 HB User

Thanks for your reply. Yes, I was told to drink LOTS of water, but none of the other things. Truth is, she didn't seem overly concerned about it at all. The monitor showed I was having very small contractions, but she said nothing was going to happen, and that my uterus was just irritated.?

Old 01-05-2006, 11:33 AM   #4
(female)

rounsy222 HB User

Heres my story
Yesterday and the day before I was having really bad lower back ache and a really wierd light watery discharge. I started throwing up and having a really bad headache. I couldnt eat or drink anything so I thought I was getting the flu, I tried to call in to make a appointment for that day but they just sent me to the birth center in our hospital instead. They monitored me for about four hours and checked to make sure my water didnt break which it hadnt. I had contractions the whole time, same as you about 4-5 an hour. They ended up finding out I was dehydrated and said that can cause you to have contractions. They checked my cervix and said I was dialated to 1 but he didnt seem to concerned and sent me home to rest and drink alot of water. They did another test which I have not heard of or remember what it was but it was to tell if you were going to deliver within the next two weeks and it came back negative. Supposedly it has a 99.7 rate of being right, they did some type of swab and had to wait a bit for the results. They did say if the backache didnt get better or I had more contractions than six in an hour to come in again. I felt kinda stupid going in considering I was pretty sure I wasnt in labor just sick, OH well. They were really nice but I felt a bit strange like I was being paranoid. But im feeling better today. I hope you are doing better.
Meg

Old 01-05-2006, 01:27 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

OrangeCouture HB User

For those of you who are experiencing pre-term do you think it is brought on by not drinking enough water or have you done anything strenuous lately that could bring it on? I am 26 weeks and the thought of having my baby now is scary! I haven't slowed down or changed my ways and we happen to be moving within the month and I have been lifting boxes, etc like crazy. I hope lifting boxes won't bring on pre-term labor..........? Just curious!

Old 01-05-2006, 02:11 PM   #6
Veteran
(female)

hotmamma13 HB User

Well, I sure haven't been doing anything strenuous. As a matter of fact, DH and I haven't even had intercourse in a wk. So I don't know what has brought these on. Especially concidering I drink water ALL day, so I can't be dehydrated.

I just went to the bathroom and saw that my panties are damp, and that hasn't happened before. Concidering I was just checked earlier today, does anyone think I should be paranoid about this?

Old 01-05-2006, 02:22 PM   #7
(female)

Tear_Drop HB User

I dont know much about pre term labour but if you have had contractions and now have a watery substance coming out I would check it out ASAP just to be on the safe side!

Old 01-05-2006, 02:25 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

soon2bmommy HB User

I would get checked out.. I had contractions and was in preterm labor but didn't have leaking amniotic fluid thank goodness. I would get checked to be on the safe side as I would think damp panties could be a side of amniotic fluid.

Old 01-05-2006, 02:50 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

weepyone HB User

i would definately get check out best to air on the side of caution. i have even been monitoring my own bh i have been having loads and i had a couple of like cramps at the top and bottom of my uterus earlier but all seems ok now. if anything changes i would be straight up the docs especially if fluid was leaking or the cramps got bad.

Old 01-05-2006, 02:53 PM   #10

pgta5 HB User

I am carrying twins and just started experiencing BH contractions as well. I called today and left a message..waiting to hear back. Mine too are dull, not painful but I can definately feel tightening and when I stand or walk it is more tense. With twins it is much more common and said to be brought on my dehydration and or irritation (needing to urinate) and sometimes intercourse. So those can be definate triggers.

I think that they are not concerned b/c the cervix is showing no change. But...you should definately be monitored more closely and take it easy. I have also read drink lots of water and rest on left side, monitoring any changed. More than 4-5 in an hour at rest should signify a call to DR!

Let us know. I am anxious too! PTL this early is very scary to think about!

Old 01-05-2006, 04:45 PM   #11
Veteran
(female)

Sallyz HB User

Orange-the first thing my doctor told me not to do was lift anything. I'm convinced that's how my p-term labor started. We had just moved and I was setting everything up. I was under a lot of emotional stress too and probably not drinking enough. I think it was a combination. I really don't have any other risk factors.
Like Barbara said, it's important to at least get stuff checked out guys, because real contractions, even if they are real small and they come and go like mine did ended up really thinning my cervix and if I had ignored them I really don't think he'd still be inside.

Old 01-06-2006, 08:08 AM   #12
Veteran
(female)

hotmamma13 HB User

So does having contractions (even very small ones) make you more prone to preterm labor? I am just wondering b/c I am extremely nervous about preterm.

Old 01-06-2006, 10:02 AM   #13

pgta5 HB User

I talked with my DR yesterday and they were not too overwhelmingly concerned. Said to drink lots of water and rest. I am still working. She said it is most likely BH and to continue working, just not to do anything when I come home. Emphasized to call if I had any increase in discharge, bleeding or painful contractsion (ie I can not walk and talk at same time). I have an ultrasound next week and they will check cervix then.

As far as contractions leading to PTL, I think the answer is that they can but don't necessary. If they increase in frequency/intesitity it's important to get them checked out b/c your cervix can begin to dialate/efface quickly. I think the key for me is to take it easy too! It's easy to forget that I'm growing lives inside me and they are very fragile. I just need to remind myself that the world is not going to fall apart if my house isn't perfectly clean!

Old 01-06-2006, 01:51 PM   #14
Veteran
(female)

hotmamma13 HB User

bump

does anyone else have anything else to add?

Old 01-06-2006, 03:36 PM   #15
Senior Veteran
(female)

worrywort HB Userworrywort HB User

Yes it is normal, I have had them since 17 weeks and actually today I went to the hospital because they were increasing, I am now 28 weeks and they monitored me and didn't have one in 2 hours, I have big ones sometimes and I think I was mistaking small ones, I wasn't really having one. I don't know but at my 21 week u/s my cervix was normal.
Carly

Closed Thread