It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pregnancy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-06-2006, 01:49 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

here4support HB User
Unhappy EMOTIONAL FEELINGS at beginnig stages of pregnancy

Well I've been trying to conceive for almost a YEAR, and now that I'm PREGO (just found out a few days ago) I feel so OVERWHELMED. I haven't slept, I'm already getting sick in the morning and evening and I've been crying....I feel scared and sad and sometimes happy, I feel confused...

I'm taking Wellbutrin XL and my GYNO said to stay on it....I'm so fearful I won't be a good mom or won't be able to take care of the baby...I know this must sound awful but this is what is going through my head!

Please help....I need lots of support.

Old 01-06-2006, 02:16 PM   #2
(female)

**Peaches** HB User
Re: EMOTIONAL FEELINGS at beginnig stages of pregnancy

Yup - I've gone through those emotions too. Don't worry exciting good feelings come along too. The negative mood swings subsided toward the end of my first trimester (along with the morning sickness), I haven't had a crazy 'poor me' crying bout in weeks. But now (at 16 weeks) I sometimes feel like something else has control of my body! A couple of my friends have just gushed about how much they LOVED being pregnant. Well, that is just not me. I just feel so strange, and... off. But I'm okay with that! Shopping for maternity stuff sure does help me though. LOL Keep in close contact with your doctor, and continue to let him/her know how you are feeling. There are others on the board that are on meds for depression / anxiety etc., I am sure they will chime in to let you know how they have managed.

A tip on morning sickness - eat small amounts, often. Do not let your stomach be empty - 1st thing I do when I wake up is eat. Can't even think of brushing my teeth until I have something in my tummy.

I'm willing to bet that most parents (especially 1st time parents) wonder if they will be able to do it! Geez, my own parents probably still look at me and wonder if they did okay :-P

Congrats and good luck!!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-06-2006, 05:00 PM   #3
(female)

may/junemom2be HB User

I had the same exact thing happen to me, although I was not trying to conceive. I had to quit taking the wellbutrin because it actually increased my anxiety. I have felt fine though after I got through my first trimester. I am at 19 weeks now and I have quit taking my depression and anxiety medication. I am getting used to being pregnant now that I keep feeling the little kicks and movement. It will get better I promise. I was on this board constantly when I first found out I was pregnant and they really understand and are able to give you some great advice. Just remember to stay calm and think of the little one growing inside you. You will want to keep sane for their sake. They feel what you feel and they can feel stress when you feel it. Just remember that it will get better!

Brandi

Old 01-06-2006, 08:10 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Valerie_s HB User

I felt this way too and this is baby number three for us, and a planned baby, I was ok until about a wek after I found out, then I was a huge mess, didnt think I wanted to be so on and so forth, the emotions came and went for the whole pregnancy I would say but I realized when I wasnt stressed I didnt feel that way, it was just what I had been focusing on, Im about to have this little guy and I feel MUCH better, worried about having the surger even though its the third time but other thatn that Im good, you'll get over, I went to talk to someone about it

Old 01-07-2006, 05:28 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

here4support HB User

Thanks ladies....It means alot to come in and see that I got responses. I was worried I'd see a "0" next to my post. It was a bad night for me, and as I read your postings I'm crying! I'm so stinking emotional I can't stand it! I just got off the phone with my mom, and she was telling me it is normal to feel this way especially with the first baby. She said I will get through it and I'll be fine. I sure hope that is the truth. More then not I feel emotional and worried, and sometimes I get excited but not often. I'm with you PEACHES, I know many women that LOVED being pregnant and so far.....it isn't the best feeling in the world for me.

My husband is exstatic about this and we were TRYING for almost a year...I wanted this more then anything in the world....but now that I am..I started thinking about the bottle feedings, the diapers, the crying the waking up at night. Plus I have to work FULL TIME after my maternity leave I will have to go back to work. I have 14 neices and nephews and I'm the youngest of 9 children (yes my mom had 9 kids all w/the same father!!) and I was an aunt when I was 6 so I know how to do all of the above...I just am scared cause this is MY BABY, I can't drop it off when I'm done playing or watching it.

GOD GIVE ME THE STRENGTH.....

By the way I do take the wellbutrin and for now the gyno said to stay on it, I also see a therapist who prescribes that medicine. I go to her Wednesday....I'm very anxoius to see her so I can get some of these feelings out.

Thanks for validating the way i'm feeling. It makes me feel good to know there are others out there that felt this way in their beginning stages.

oh and Peaches....I'm going to try to eat more often...after being so nausiated...I'm dehydrated and not eating which is making it worse. I will try what you said. Brushing my teeth makes me GAG!

Old 01-07-2006, 06:47 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

soon2bmommy HB User

I felt that way at the beginning of my pregnancy. It was like everyone expected me to be so excited, but I was in fact soo scared. Worried that I may not be good enough to bring a life into this world, and although this may sound vain, I used to struggle with eating disorders and I was scared about what I'd go through while my body changed. Now (I'm 29+ weeks) I love being pregnant. Let me rephrase that, I love the fact that I'm pregnant, LOL. I'm ready for this little bugger to be out! I think pregnancy is something you have to get used to, maybe not for all woman but deffinitely for me.

Old 01-07-2006, 06:56 AM   #7
(female)

MatthewsMom HB User
Thumbs up Re: EMOTIONAL FEELINGS at beginnig stages of pregnancy

My baby is 4 1/2 months old now and I'm here to say it does get better. It was my first pregnancy and because of my age (37) I thought it would take months to conceive if I could conceive at all, so I kinda panicked when I realized it worked on the first try.

Pregnancy does get better mentally as you go along, seeing arms and legs on the ultrasound and then feeling first like little waves and ripples and then kicks is wonderful. I though I would feel scared about delivery but by that time you are uncomfortable enough that you want the baby out! Not to mention I couldn't wait to see his face.

It's normal to feel overwhelmed and wonder if you'll be able to handle it. Your body goes through so many hormonal changes. I also wish someone would have told me that the first 6 weeks at home are a hard ajustment, but it does get better. Enjoy the process, write a journal, talk to your doctor, he or she is there to answer all questions (I used to write everything down because my memory was shot). My best advice to all pregnant women is: SLEEP NOW. As your pregnancy moves along you will be getting for bathroom duty every few hours, towards the end of pregnancy you need more daytime naps also because sleeping for long periods of time becomes uncomfortable. And once the baby is there well...that is self-explanatory!

You will do great.
Matthew's Mom

Old 01-07-2006, 07:32 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

MellyMel HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valerie_s
I felt this way too and this is baby number three for us, and a planned baby, I was ok until about a wek after I found out, then I was a huge mess, didnt think I wanted to be so on and so forth, the emotions came and went for the whole pregnancy I would say but I realized when I wasnt stressed I didnt feel that way, it was just what I had been focusing on, Im about to have this little guy and I feel MUCH better, worried about having the surger even though its the third time but other thatn that Im good, you'll get over, I went to talk to someone about it
May I ask how old you are??

Melly

Old 01-07-2006, 07:57 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

Valerie_s HB User

Im 27 years old

Old 01-07-2006, 08:19 AM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

MellyMel HB User

Quote:
Im 27 years old
Thank you. I was kind of hoping with 3 kids you were older. lol. But that's o.k. I'm 38 and was looking for a bit of advice. Thanks again.

Melly

Old 01-07-2006, 01:09 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

here4support HB User
Unhappy Re: EMOTIONAL FEELINGS at beginnig stages of pregnancy

Well thanks for the responses. Right now I'm trying to research thing on the internet about pregnancy and keep telling myself that my fears will get less and less as this goes on. I just hope it is true. Cause right now Im not so confident. I'm EXTREMELY SCARED. I know my life is going to change so much and I'm so afraid I just won't be albe to handle it. EVERYONE in my family and my husband's family is so excited....but here I sit...depressed and worried. AFter all that TTC! I'm finally pregnant and I can't even be jumping for joy!

*sigh*

Oh and the other thing i keep worrying about is once the baby is born, and I am back home, will I be depressed....plus having to return to work? I have to work, no choice..my husband and I struggle as it is...so I worry about returning to work and crying everyday.........oh boy...

Old 01-07-2006, 01:17 PM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

weepyone HB User

here4support
i think i am right in remembering you from the m/c or ttc board, am i??
congratulations on bfp
it is normal when you want a baby so much to be overwhelmed with fear and the fact you realise being a mother is an enormous task tells me you will be the best that you can . gosh i worried and still do at 29 weeks about everything i think as your pg progresses the worries change from m/c to birth defects, to prem labour the list is endless but again this is normal when you want your child to be born safe and well. I worry about the changes a baby will bring to my life but everytime i get overwhelmed by this i think of the positives a baby will bring to my life. my dh has been a rock to me he has always been full of positivity even when i was not and was scared of losing another child or had some other intrusive thought. i wish you lots of happiness and that all goes well take each day at a time if this helps instead of worrying right through all scenarios of worry up till your child is 18. of course use this board for support too. take care and again congrats

Old 01-07-2006, 02:00 PM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

Valerie_s HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by MellyMel
Thank you. I was kind of hoping with 3 kids you were older. lol. But that's o.k. I'm 38 and was looking for a bit of advice. Thanks again.

Melly

Did you have a question about pregnancy or parenting, becaue I cant help you with pregnancy over 38 but I have ALOT of parenting experience, I dont really understand why you said I was "hoping" you were older...

Last edited by Valerie_s; 01-07-2006 at 02:01 PM.

Old 01-15-2006, 06:38 AM   #14
Senior Veteran
(female)

MellyMel HB User

Quote:
Did you have a question about pregnancy or parenting, becaue I cant help you with pregnancy over 38 but I have ALOT of parenting experience, I dont really understand why you said I was "hoping" you were older...
Hi Valerie. I had a question about pregnancy not parenting, but thank you very much for replying. I just saw your post today when I was scanning my old stuff. LOL. I was just trying to hear experiences from woman that nearing 40 that have had a baby. I am considering #2, but I am a bit older (38) now than I was 7 years ago with my son. Again, thank you.

Melly

Closed Thread