It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pregnancy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-06-2006, 05:53 PM   #1
(female)

christy0108 HB User
pain under rib cage

i am 19 wks pregnant and every now and then i get this pain under my rib cage...it feels like something just poking me harder and harder...does anyone have any idea what it could be? i don't know if it could be the baby.

Old 01-06-2006, 06:00 PM   #2
(female)

Kayyan HB User
Re: pain under rib cage

Its very possible that it could be the baby, i mean if its really hard pain, then i would ask your doctor, if its not going away, but your 4.5 months so its very possible it couodl be the baby, if not its the baby pushing EVERYTHING..so hang in there, i'm sure everythinsg fien, but dont be afraid to contact your doc about anything. you should really get the book "what to exspect when ur exspecting" it answers a lot of questions..

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-06-2006, 07:28 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

friday13 HB User

Christy - I had this too - for me it was the baby - I carried her really high since the early days.... I am now 33 weeks and once in awhile it gets better - but not too often.... I was doing good for a couple of days/to a week and tonight it started in again.

Sometimes though when I take Phayzme anti gas gel caps and or zantac it helps - I don't know if I have too much gas in my stomach at times and it makes her go higher toward my rib cage or what - but that works for me SOMETIMES....

But = be sure to tell your Doc on the next visit or if your next appt. isn't for a while - please be sure to call and maybe get in for a quick visit. Phone consults never put me at ease.... I like to be there in person to speak with, Doc, nurse, midwife who ever.

XXOO Friday

Old 01-06-2006, 07:39 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

sobannon HB User

I have heard that during pregnancy your rib cage expands to provide additional room for the baby. I am now 25 weeks and have noticed that rib discomfort is becoming quite common. As far as the poking goes,it could very well be the baby starting to move upward and getting little body parts under the ribs.

Old 01-06-2006, 10:13 PM   #5
(female)

Mamasita_of_3 HB User

I also had these problems and for me it was my Gallbladder, they say it acts up more then you are prego. The pain was up near my right breast under the ribs. I also had lots of back pain with it. I had this start about 15 wks and they took my Gallbladder out when I was 21 wks. Its been sooooo much better now. Im not sure if its what could be wrong with u but its worth checking into before u get to far along.

David Anthony 4/16/98
Skye Lyn 5/13/01
Faith Lyn 3/20/06

Old 01-07-2006, 12:53 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

weepyone HB User

my ribs caused me loads of pain from about 19 weeks up to 27 weeks as my rib cage expanded this may be what you are experiencing as at 20 weeks your uterus is only as high as your belly button so i don't think it is the baby kicking there yet, my rib pain was eased by lying on a bean bag and geting a back and rib massage off dh hope you get some relief soon

Old 01-07-2006, 05:42 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

OrangeCouture HB User

I am on the same page as Weepyone. I began experiencing the rib pain around the same time and I am going into my 27th week now and I am still experiencing it. I notice it when I am home all day by myself because I sit in front on the computer and do my college work on-line. This is my first baby, but I am guessing the rib pains are from the rib cage expanding or something to that effect. Also by laying down on the side certain ways or pushing on the area that aches helps me. In the evening I try to go for walks to get my mind off of it and it usually works. Take care and hang in there!

Closed Thread