It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pregnancy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-07-2006, 08:07 AM   #1
(female)

binker HB User
Red face A little nervous. Would appreciate some feedback...

Hello, I'm just found out I'm about 8 weeks pregnant. It's my very first time. Problem is...right around the time I missed my period last month, I took three different pregnancy tests and they all were negative. The doctor said that the pregnancy hormone wasn't strong enough when I took those tests

Well, I had no clue I was pregnant...didn't feel weird or anything till a couple of days ago. Since I thought I was NOT pregnant, I did a few things that I shouldn't have done during pregnancy

From conception till I found out in week 8, I probably drank alcohol a handful of times (in moderation...maybe like one bottle of beer..or one glass of margerita), and we're in the process of moving so I had been lifting heavy stuff; I ate sushi with raw fish; since our kitchen utensils were in boxes, we had been eating out a lot...and ate a ton of junk food. Also, I had been drinking caffeine (maybe like one bottle every other day).

Should I be concerned? My mom had a miscarriage before I was born due to lifting a heavy mattress and I dont want the same thing to happen to me.

Ultrasound is not till next Thursday and I'm anxious to know if my baby is ok. Any advice?

Old 01-07-2006, 08:17 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Valerie_s HB User
Re: A little nervous. Would appreciate some feedback...

Dont wrry about it, the fish may be of concern I would mention it to the dr when you go but alot of women dont find out until later and have perfectly healthy babies

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-07-2006, 08:24 AM   #3
(female)

binker HB User

Thank you Valerie I'm curious as to why raw fish is bad for pregnancy..I just happened to read that you're not supposed to eat any during pregnancy. I probably only had one, maybe two pieces. Hopefully it wont affect me.

Thanks again! I feel better now.

Old 01-07-2006, 01:15 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

here4support HB User

I am also pregnant w/my first and (wow can't believe I just typed that, it doesn't seem real) I also heard that fish was not good for pregnancy. I heard the reason is that it contains mercury. I don't know if that is the truth or not but that is what I heard.

Old 01-07-2006, 01:19 PM   #5
(female)

jodyaskey HB User

I am not a doctor but i have been told to stay away from raw fish/sushi in particular because of the levels of mercury. but a little here and there wont hurt you. make sure its fully cooked though. Talk to your doctor if you have any concerns.

Old 01-07-2006, 01:42 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

weepyone HB User

lots of women including me drank some alcohol before finding out they were pg. as long as you don't keep drinking you should be fine. as for the lifting if you have not had cramps or bleeding yet then this has not causwd a m/c. take it easy from now on but most importantly congratulations on being a mommy in waiting

Old 01-07-2006, 02:38 PM   #7
(female)

1st4me HB User

I'm sure lot's of people are going to disagree with me on this one but here goes....My husband and I own two wine shops and I worked in them until one week ago ( I am 30wks) lifting all the time. Near the end I found it harder because of my size and because I was front heavy and my balance was different. I think that if you are in good shape to begin with and you don't lift in a way that would injure you even if you weren't pregnant you should be fine.

Sushi has no higher levels of mercury than cooked fish, although certain species are higher than others. the reason there is concern over pregnant women eating sushi is because of the risk of food poisoning. My midwife put it to me like this..." You wouldn't eat sushi that you thought was going to give you food poisoning to begin with would you?". My answer (of course) was "NO!". "Then any sushi you eat should be from a source that you trust and it should be very fresh. When you have established that, eat as much as you want, it is good for you!" Remember that sushi is great for you when you aren't pregnant so why should that change now? The omega 3 oils in fish help combat what they call 'baby brain' as they are used in the production of brain cells that the baby will take out of your body if you aren't supplying enough of it in your diet. Baby Brain is when you start losing memory, and just feeling kind of clueless sometimes and it seems to happen to almost everyone. My husband thinks it is highly amusing

As for the alcohol....well there are many conflicting or should I say just plain different opinions on this subject and I think it just needs to be a topic that you decide for yourself after as much information as possible. I have noticed that it seems like every health care provider will tell you that any alcohol you consume before knowing you were pregnant is fine. Especially in moderation. I think that most (if not all) cases of FAS are in children born to ALCOHOLIC mothers. In other words, women with serious drinking problems.

I know it is hard not to worry and you want to do the best for your baby, but I think that if something is going to happen (like a miscarriage, or chromosomal disorder), then it is going to happen no matter what. Hopefully the ultrasound will put you more at ease and you can try to enjoy being pregnant. Remember, women have been doing this since the beginning of time.

Closed Thread