It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pregnancy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-09-2006, 07:51 AM   #1
Veteran
(female)

hotmamma13 HB User
Question Mucas Plug??? Sorry for TMI...

Hello everyone.

I started having contractions last Thursday (you may remember my thread). I am only 26 1/2 wks pg, so that is pretty scary. Well, they have subsided ALOT, but I am still having some. This morning I went to the bathroom, and when I wiped, there was a mucasy kind of substance on the tissue. It wasn't bloody or anything, but I have never passed a mucas plug before, and was wondering if anyone thought I should be worried about this.

I am not usually an overly paranoid person, but since I started having contractions, I have been a little worried and paying extra attention to things. Should I call the Dr? Or b/c there was no blood, and no terribly bad contractions, should I not worry?

Thanks for any feedback. I'm not very educated on preterm labor.

Old 01-09-2006, 08:33 AM   #2
(female)

Mommyof3under4 HB User
Re: Mucas Plug??? Sorry for TMI...

You need to call your doctor right away! Most people would tell you that it is no big deal. It is if you are only 26 weeks. At 24 weeks, I noticed the same thing, my doc told me to come on in, and lets get it checked out. I ended up being 2 1/2 cm, and like 70% effaced. I had an emergency cerclage, and was put to bed. Call your OB, and have it checked out.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-09-2006, 08:37 AM   #3
Veteran
(female)

hotmamma13 HB User

Mommyof3under4,

Thank you for responding so quickly! I should be worried even with no painful contractions, and NO blood?! Did yours have blood in it? I called my mom, and she said I shouldn't worry b/c mucas plugs always have a little blood in them, and it was probably just extra discharge. Sorry to keep asking questions, but what did yours look like? Mine wasn't even a whole bunch. Thanks again in advance for your feedback.

Old 01-09-2006, 08:50 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

curiousforever HB User

Since you're only 26 weeks-I'd call the doc. It might only be discharge of some sort-but if it's your plug-you could be in danger of delivering early and that would be very bad for your baby....very bad.

Better safe than sorry. Ask the doc to let you come in and get checked out.

Old 01-09-2006, 09:51 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Valerie_s HB User

When I started loosing y plug for my first pregnancy I didnt notice and blood or pink, or anything it just looked like "snot" not a whole lot either, I didnt go into labour or anything but I was also 3o somothing weeks, I would DEFINALTEY go to the dr! ASAP

Old 01-09-2006, 09:53 AM   #6
Veteran
(female)

hotmamma13 HB User

Well, I called my dr and the nurse called back and told me to put on a pad, and if it was wet in an hour, to come in. She told me that when you are pg, you have discharge like that anyway, and if it's only on the tissue when you wipe, it's no big deal. So I don't know if I should worry or not.

Old 01-09-2006, 10:13 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

OrangeCouture HB User

I am having some bad menstrual-like cramps right now at 27 weeks and I was doing internet searches and happen to come across your situation. It said that if there is blood mixed in with it and it is before 36 weeks you should go see your doctor right away. That is what I just read anyway.

Old 01-09-2006, 12:23 PM   #8
Veteran
(female)

Sallyz HB User

hotmamma--
I've been having preterm labor issues too and I asked my doctor about the 'snot' looking discharge I get every once in a while and all he did was check me for an infection. Is it a lot or just a little bit? Mine was just a little bit. He told me it was normal to have a lot of discharge and didn't say anything about my mucus plug, but, on the other hand, I have been getting vaginal ultrasounds like every week, so maybe you can see the mucus plug is still there on the vaginal ultrasound? Does your doctor do those?

Old 01-09-2006, 01:34 PM   #9
(female)

Mommyof3under4 HB User

Mine did not have any blood in it with any of my pregnancies. It was a big glob, and looked a lot like snot. You should probably go to Labor And Delivery er and get them to check you out. I never even had any contractions with mine. I would go just to be safe. Have you already had the steriod shots for the baby's lungs?

Old 01-09-2006, 01:44 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

BarbaraH HB UserBarbaraH HB UserBarbaraH HB UserBarbaraH HB User

Hi -

It's better safe than sorry. Go get checked.

No matter what anyone says, believe it. I had a son at about 26/27 weeks and he's a delight at age 21 but does have mild cerebral palsy from being a 2lb 3 1/2 oz preemie. I don't recommend it. Not wanting to bother the doctor or spend the time in L&D is no reason to wonder, worry, take chances with your baby, and sit at home.

Hope all is well - Barbara

Old 01-09-2006, 02:27 PM   #11
Veteran
(female)

hotmamma13 HB User

Thank you all.

I haven't had any steroid shots b/c my dr doesn't yet see any problems in thinking that I will have preterm labor. She checked my cervix last wk when I started having contractions, and I was not dialated at all. I was just worried this morning when I saw this discharge. I thought maybe something could have changed, and I was dialating, you know? But like I wrote before, I called the Dr's office, and the nurse told me that if I wet a pad in an hour, then to come in. That hasn't happened. It's only when I wipe. And sometimes it's not even there. I haven't had any other kind of discharge though, so I got worried. I know discharge is normal in pregnancy, but I haven't had any trouble with it.

If it starts to look like alot, I will just go in with out even calling. But I am going to get checked for dialation again on Thursday. So if nothing else happens by then, I will bring up my concerns to her when she checks me.

Closed Thread