It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pregnancy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-09-2006, 10:32 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

OrangeCouture HB User
Arrow Cramping at 27 weeks.....why?

I have a question that I can't quite find an answer to.
Some of you know that I have had an "easy" pregnancy so far with no pregnancy symptoms, aches, pains, etc. I am 27 weeks today and I woke up at 7AM with a very, very, very dull lower backache. I also had menstrual-like cramps. The dull backache went away shortly after I woke up, but now 3.5 hours later the menstrual-like cramps are still there are they do not lessen, it is constant. I am not worried at all at this point, I am wondering what is going on?

I began to read about braxton-hicks but some sites say it isn't painful and you feel tightening and contracting. I don't have any tightening or contractions, just constant menstrual cramps, and they are fairly painful ones too. Can someone please give me some insight?

PS, I have been drinking water all morning too because I read that dehydration can bring on contractions, so I am drinking just in case!
Thanks!

Old 01-09-2006, 10:50 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

girl75 HB User
Re: Cramping at 27 weeks.....why?

have you called your docs office? what have they said?
If you haven't you should just to be on the safe side especially if it is painful.
let us know what they say.
robin

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-09-2006, 10:54 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

weepyone HB User

hi orange
if you are not getting any let up on the pains go see the doc to get checked out put your mind at rest as i guess you already have enough stress going on at the moment with preparing to move. let us know what doc says good luck i am sure is probably fine but you won't know for sure if you don't get checked out

Old 01-09-2006, 10:55 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

soon2bmommy HB User

I occasionally get BH's and they are not painful.. I did have very bad menstrual like cramps that were constant, they had no set pattern like people say with timing contractions, yet I called my Dr anyways (thanks to DH making me) and I wound up being in preterm labor. Just call to make sure if you haven't already. I never would have called if it wasn't for my husband practically shoving the phone down my throat. It's funny how they can be more worried than us sometimes

Old 01-09-2006, 11:10 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

OrangeCouture HB User

The cramping just let up some. It lasted from 7AM-11AM, four hours. I am not calling in right now. I am giving it time to see what happens, like if it starts again or gets worse. Thanks.

Old 01-09-2006, 12:06 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Denise98 HB User

I have gone threw the exact same thing my whole pregnancy and I am 27 weeks and every doctors appt I keep asking them what causes them because I never have any signs of a miscarriage or labor starting and they told me dehydration or in some women just stretching causes pain like that so I wouldnt be to worried unless they didnt let up at all.. And your still feeling your baby move? Mine likes to start at night for some reason so I hardly sleep..

Old 01-09-2006, 12:35 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

curiousforever HB User

dehydration is a biggie---and hormones causing the all the ligaments and stuff to start stretching so that your pelvis can open some...

Definately keep on top of it though. Keep hydrated - lay on your left side. Find out what your doc's office's criteria for going to hospital for pre term labor is...

Old 01-09-2006, 01:24 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

OrangeCouture HB User

I am making sure I am hydrating really good from today on so I can eliminate that as the problem. I am still cramping the same, at 1:30PM since 7AM this morning. I will give it today and this evening and feel it out. I was just curious what is causing it.

To describe it better, it is just like menstrual cramps and the right side is throbbing more, almost like it could be my ovary or something deep within throbbing and cramping. It even hurts to walk like normal. I just didn't expect this........

Old 01-09-2006, 02:01 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

BarbaraH HB UserBarbaraH HB UserBarbaraH HB UserBarbaraH HB User

Hi Orange,

May I ask why you prefer not to call your doctor?? As the mother of a 2 lb 3 1/2oz preemie born at 26/27 weeks, now age 21 with mild cerebral palsy since birth, I cannot for the life of me understand what the point of delaying is. Drinking water is good, but it may not be good enough.

You're having odd, uncomfortable cramps - call the doctor so he/she can do their job of taking good care of you and your baby. If you don't tell them what's going on, they cannot do their job well.

Please just call your doctor so you can go to the office instead of L&D to be checked.

Wishing you well - Barbara

Old 01-09-2006, 02:59 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

curiousforever HB User

if walking hurts - call.

Old 01-09-2006, 04:03 PM   #11
(female)

rounsy222 HB User

I have been having alot of cramping and lower back pain. I also have a really sharp pain the occurs every now and then when I walk in my lower right side. I went in and they just determined it was streching and the lower back pain probably because im standing alittle differant due to the new size of my bellie. He also said the pain in my lower right side is ligament still streching. This has been going on for me for a few weeks. Somedays are good and some days its worse. So its probably normal but I would still call, they say a early sign of labor is lower back pain. Thats what they are there for and they will determine if it is labor quick enough.
Meg

Old 01-09-2006, 05:24 PM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

OrangeCouture HB User

Thanks for the replies. I am going to call in the morning because the nurse's line was closed this evening when I called. I prefer not to go in because the hospital here is crazy and I usually go to the clinic away from the hospital for my normal appointments and from what I read it could be dehydration or ligaments stretching. I know the baby is healthy so far and I have no reason to worry and other than the cramps I have not experienced any other problems, like increased discharge, etc. I honestly don't feel or think it is early labor at all. I will still call in the morning. Thank you.

Old 01-10-2006, 07:32 AM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

steph66 HB User

good luck orange and let us know what happened. I hope it is just things stretching out. I sometimes get those period-like cramps but they dont last very long at all and i think it is just due to stretching. I havent had those lately though. keep us posted!! good luck!!

Old 01-10-2006, 10:17 AM   #14
Senior Veteran
(female)

worrywort HB Userworrywort HB User

I also get cramps like that but they go away and I asked my doctor and he said stretching, if they last forever then I would call.
Carly

Old 01-20-2006, 01:42 PM   #15
Senior Veteran
(female)

Paet HB User

I'm having the same problem and I'm 25 weeks along. After reading these posts, I've called my doctor and I'm on hold as we speak.

I've had cramps and pressure for 3 days. Today, I've been in bed a lot.
My hip started locking up and my back hurts. So, I figure it's better to ask than to ignore it. This is also my first!

Ok, here's what the nurse just told me! She said drink lots of water and rest. If it isn't better or gets worse by tomorrow, I have to call the on-call doctor. (It's almost weekend!). She might be right about the water. My nausea came back so I haven't been drinking as much.

Good Luck!

Last edited by Paet; 01-20-2006 at 01:43 PM.

Closed Thread