It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pregnancy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-10-2006, 09:48 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

friday13 HB User
Question Bring home outfits & UMBILICAL cords...

OK for bring home outfit and first few weeks - I was told to not use tshirts that snap at the crotch and onesies that are snug - will rub the babes umbilical cord .... I should use really loose onesies and side snap t's.... till the cord falls off.

What kind of bring home outfit do you get then? I guess a two piece? little pants and shirt etc.?

thanks - first time mom here.... obviously! ha! You can swaddle them though right? and use the side snap t's just make sure the clothing is very loose if its going to cover the cord right?

Last edited by friday13; 01-10-2006 at 09:49 AM.

Old 01-10-2006, 09:59 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

weepyone HB User
Re: Bring home outfits & UMBILICAL cords...

well friday that must mean i have to go shopping (yay) all my vests/onesies have press studs underneath the crotch area. i never heard anyone say though that the vest rubbed pulled the cord off or caused problems. i would guess as long as they are not too tight they would be ok on baby? as for going home outfit i am not sure what to get yet, this is one of the few things i have yet to do as i have been trying to be super organised

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-10-2006, 10:04 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Valerie_s HB User

Ya I have heard this too, but both my kids had onsies and they were just fine, not to mention I cannot for the life of me find the other snappy kind, anyway if you alcohol the umbilical cord well (nurse will show you) it doesnt take long to fall off anyway, just use what you have

Old 01-10-2006, 10:07 AM   #4
(female)

Mommyof3under4 HB User

Friday- I have used onsies in the beginning with all three of mine, and it never casued any problems. They are not going to be that tight anyways. I also kept them in gowns for a few weeks too, it was so much easier with the night changes!

Old 01-10-2006, 10:49 AM   #5
Inactive
(female)

pittbulllover HB User

My twins came home in sleepers! We didn't dress them any different nor were we told to. Umbilical cord was fine and fell off within 2 weeks for both of them.
I say put your baby in whatever you want!

Old 01-10-2006, 11:01 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Mommie-2-B HB User

Your little one will be too small to fill out his clothes anyway. I wouldn't worry about it. I was never warned or worried about his cord!! I had an 8 pound 3 ouncer!! He was still too small for his NB clothes.

Old 01-10-2006, 11:40 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

friday13 HB User

OH ladies THANK YOU!!!! I was stressing over this minor thing a little! hee hee!

SOOOO glad - I don't have to worry!!

Old 01-10-2006, 11:46 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

baby#2 HB User

Ditto on the don't worry about it advice! My ds was born at 9lbs 6ozs and he wore sleepers and onsies from day one. The only thing we did was fold his little diaper down so the cord was above the velcro. Another option is to have the diaper higher in the back and lower in the front and do up the straps as usual. Also, our nurses told us not to use alcohol as it can actually prolong the healing process. We just used a wet (with water) Q-tip and made sure it was clean and a dry Q-tip to make sure it was dry before clothing your baby. His cord fell off on the 4th day.

Old 01-10-2006, 11:58 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

Gayle0000 HB User

Hi Friday! Hope you are getting along well in your pregnancy. Looking forward to you getting on the Infant Care board soon!

I agree that onesies are just fine with the cord. Ava wore onsies every single day in her early weeks without problems. I was worried about that too. I was so afraid of hurting the cord in the early days...but it looks worse that what it is.

Closed Thread