It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pregnancy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-10-2006, 02:42 PM   #1
(female)

amandab_nyc HB User
Wine and pregnancy

What are the different opinions there about wine and pregnancy? Not at all? Once a week? Once a month?

What about first trimester vs third trimester?

Old 01-10-2006, 02:47 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Mommie-2-B HB User
Re: Wine and pregnancy

I wouldn't suggest ANY wine, but that's my personal opinion. I don't think it's wise to put alcohol through your baby's system....but that's just me.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-10-2006, 03:10 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

sweetea13 HB User

There are alot of differing opinions out there but in my prenatal class they tought us none at all. I agree with mommie 2 be.

Old 01-10-2006, 03:19 PM   #4
Senior Veteran

skeetersquirt HB User

None in my opinion. I know there are people out there that would say that one glass is fine, but I would not put wine in my babies bottle and feed it to him so I can't see giving it to him before he is born. Just my 2 cents.

Old 01-10-2006, 03:22 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

debating HB User

It's a personal opinion, and one that should be decided based on YOUR history after a discussion with your doctor.

What you have to realize is, is that your baby is not going to suffer from fetal alcohol syndrome with just ONE glass of wine. There are more studies showing the damaging effects of caffeine on a long term basis then there is from one or two glasses of wine. We KNOW the damaging effects of long term exposure - low birth weight, learning difficulties, poor impulse control, etc, but these are NOT indicative of one glass of wine.

Also, the most damaging effects with alcohol are done in the first trimester when the CNS (central nervous system) is still developing. It is FAR more damaging to be drinking and partying before you know you're pregnant then to indulge in a glass of wine on a holiday late in your pregnancy.

I had a glass of champagne on New Years Eve. I sipped it for about an hour and half, and enjoyed it immensely.

I think some women cause far more damage on a daily basis by exposing their baby's to caffeine, artificial sweeteners, facial cleansers, possible bacterial infections, etc, then I will EVER cause by having one glass of wine.

Do you know it only takes an elevated fever for 2 or 3 days to cause permanent brain damage to our unborn fetuses? Lysteria, the common bacteria found in soft cheeses and lunch can cause this. It can also cause still birth, yet we've all decided that if we're careful about the source of our meat and how we handle it that it won't be a problem. Same goes for alcohol. Just be responsible about it!!

Old 01-10-2006, 04:48 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

OrangeCouture HB User

I agree with North of 60. My midwife said that if there is a special anniversary or something to that effect it is okay to have a glass of wine. Overall regular or excessive drinking will cause the baby to become dependant on the alcohol, but one drink will not. Other than when we go out to eat and if my husband orders a new specialty beer, I will have a small sip to try it, otherwise I haven't had a drink during this pregnancy. I drank the sparkling cider during any parties I attended.

Old 01-11-2006, 12:36 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

weepyone HB User

i only had 2 shandies with like a drip of beer in and 2 small glassess of champagne at christmas, other than that i have been drinking sparkling grape juice as it tastes a little like wine dh even put it in a wine glass and laughed at me lol

Old 01-11-2006, 07:06 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

friday13 HB User

My Doc in florida discussed this with me - very early on... he said everything in moderation - if you can feel the effects of something then you have OVER done it. with anything..... alcohol, caffeine etc. so if you want reg. tea have only enough so you don't feel the effects of the caffeine and same goes for alcohol.... don't drink so much that you feel the effects.

Friday

Old 01-11-2006, 10:40 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

girl75 HB User

i had a glass of wine this past weekend when i got together with my family.
like the others said it is all up to the person and i don't think that anything is the matter with it and it won't do anything to the baby if you have one here and there.
i know lots of women including family members who took nothing and drank anything with alchohol and their babies were born with some kind of birth defect.
sometimes there is just no way of knowing what for sure can harm our babies when we carry them.
robin

Old 01-11-2006, 10:54 AM   #10
(female)

Avon55 HB User

I've heard not to drink at all, especially early trimester. What does your doctor say?

Old 01-11-2006, 10:56 AM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

debating HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by skeetersquirt
but I would not put wine in my babies bottle and feed it to him so I can't see giving it to him before he is born.
That's funny considering alcohol has been used therapeutically in mothers to be and their infants for, oh I don't know, the past 500 years or so. It was only with the onslaught of alcohol abuse that it became "bad".

Baby's who were fussy for breastfeeding? The mother was advised to drink an alcoholic beverage (or two) to help settle the baby.

Tooth aches and cutting teeth? Whiskey was rubbed on their gums.

Insomnia late in pregnancy? A glass of wine.

My mother quite often drank a beer in the evenings to settle me because I was very colicky. Many of us on this board come from the generation of baby's that received alcohol in some form or another at the advice of our mothers doctors.

It was only in the past 10 or so years that it became "tabu", which coincides with the rise of most drug company's. Remember the days when we were told to drink a can of coke if we had indigestion? Not any more.. now we receive a prescription.

My point in all this is, is that alcohol is not bad unless you abuse it. And I'll bet if you ask your mother, she'll tell you she had a glass of wine during breast feeding (which is essentially putting it in your bottle) to help settle you.

Old 01-11-2006, 12:13 PM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

baby#2 HB User

I agree with the first 3 posters. My Doctors and all the books I have read suggest no alcohol during pregnancy just to be safe. I feel I am being responsible with alcohol by not having any at all. Same goes for smoking, be responsible, none at all! Just my opinion. The way I look at it is I can go without these vices for 9 months (or longer if bf) for my peace of mind and reducing the risk to my unborn child.

Old 01-11-2006, 12:36 PM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

Mommie-2-B HB User

Ask yourself why you want or need the wine...that's your answer. If you feel like you want/need it because you've had a bad day, that's (sorry to be frank) alcoholism. If you can't make it without it, you've got a problem. Although I don't think it's the case for you or any of the posters advocating drinking while pregnant. If you just miss the taste and want some on your lips, then do just that. There's no need to drink a whole glass to satisfy a craving, is there? It's kind of like how the French women say to only eat three bites of a desert, not the whole thing. You don't have to eat the whole thing to satisfy your craving!!

I don't know about yall but one glass of wine makes me VERY tipsy! My DH always says that I'm a cheap date

Old 01-11-2006, 01:23 PM   #14
Senior Veteran
(female)

debating HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mommie-2-B
There's no need to drink a whole glass to satisfy a craving, is there?
When someone asks me why I had a glass of champagne instead of sparkling cider, I ask them why they drink soda. The typical answer is usually because "I like it". Enough said, that's why I had the champagne - because I like it. Not because I crave it, or had a bad day, or wanted to get tipsy. Simply because I like the taste and I wanted a glass. Basically the same reason I indulge in a coke once or twice a week - because I like it. Same reason I indulge in cold cut meat and soft cheeses - because I like them.

I find it ironic how many of us have openly discussed how much caffeine and artificial sweeteners we consume (re: sodas!), yet alcohol, on one occasion, in a SMALL amount, over the course of 40 weeks, is absolutely forbidden.

And yes, it does cross the placental barrier, but is a far cry from pouring wine in your baby's bottle and feeding it to them straight.

Quote:
Same goes for smoking, be responsible, none at all!
Don't even get me started on that one. We've had the "Drinking During Pregnancy" discussion before, and as it turns out, the very women who were advised to CONTINUE smoking due to the stress it would cause (a bogus argument in my books) also had doctors who told them absolutely NO alcohol. Explain that one to me. You can smoke but you can't drink?

But to be fair, one cigarette, just the same as one glass of wine, is not going to cause any harm.

I'll still maintain that more harm is done to us, and our baby's, through the consumption of "safe" food, ie; hormone and antibiotic ridden meat, BHA/BHT preserved junk food, trans fats, rancid heat pressed oils, molecularly damaged altered fats (re: margarine), mono-sodium gluconate (MSG), and the list goes on.

How many of here have indulged in bag of doritos this pregnancy? Take a look at the ingredients, and just out of your own curiosity, google some of the harder to pronounce ones. You'll find a few carcinogenic agents. Those are CANCER causing. More and more studies are being shown that indicate constant long term exposure to these chemicals from CONCEPTION will put us at risk for cancer later in life. How many of us wear cosmetics? Again, carcinogen laden.

Did you know cancer in juveniles has gone up more then 30% in the last 25 years. More and more diets are contrived out of convenience, as as a result the quality has gone down. Gone are the days when WHOLESOME food was prepared for our families. Who's guilty of pulling a box of "chicken" out of the freezer and serving it with some McCain french fries? I've done it, but guess what, that's full of carcinogens and trans fats too. Perhaps these are the meals that are responsible for the rise in cancer? We're exposing our unborn babies to these harmful chemicals from the very minute their cells start splitting. Not a very good foundation if you ask me!

So, in closing ( ) I would have to conclude that unless a person has adapted a 100% organic, natural, preservative and antibiotic free life style, that they are somewhat hypocritical by saying "better safe then sorry" on the topic of alcohol during pregnancy. If they're better safe then sorry, then I'd like to think they have never eaten a MacDonald's french fry while pregnant, never drank a diet soda while pregnant, never drank a cup of coffee while pregnant, never ate doritos while pregnant, never ate Chinese food while pregnant, never used margarine while pregnant, etc.

There are FAR worse things to put into your body, pregnant or not, then a few ounces of alcohol over the course of 9 months.

That is all.

Last edited by debating; 01-11-2006 at 01:24 PM.

Old 01-11-2006, 01:29 PM   #15
Veteran
(female)

hotmamma13 HB User

I hate to say this, but all this talk about wine (and I haven't had any yet for the course of my pregnancy) is REALLY making me want a glass.

My opinion is: If you don't want to debate over the issue, ask your Dr. They will tell you the truth, and whether or not they would advise you to have a glass before the baby is born.

True, alcohol is unsafe. But so is caffeine. And I still have my cup of coffee every morning. Now, I'm not at all saying it is safe to drink throughout your pregnancy. But I don't see the harm in having a glass (a very small one that is), unless of course you think having one glass would lead you to want to...or three...or four. Then I would not advise it.

But like I said before, I have not yet consumed any. I am still debating about it in my own mind. But when all is said and done...it is your choice and nobody elses.

Closed Thread